- HELPFUL TIPS FOR USING MY FITNESS PAL

Options
mikemusky44
mikemusky44 Posts: 218 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
This page is to help the group learn more about using My Fitness Pal. You can post directly or you can copy important information from other discussions and enter it here.

Replies

• mikemusky44
    Options
    jringold1 wrote: »
    **This is a repost from my NS Blog - Sorry if you have already read it but not sure everyone here will see it before the NS Site goes away**

Hope ya'll don't get tired of these but I am going to post of few of these reminders as I come across them this weekend. These are things that we will lose once the site is shut down and what I am doing about it.

As you may know, I am moving to MFP. So these will be more specific to MFP but could be used as a reminder to any site you go to.

Weights:

We don’t want to lose our weight loss history. So we need to move that history some where. On MFP go to check-in. At the bottom of the screen you will see 'edit previous entries'. On that screen, you will see any weights you have entered so far. Go to the bottom and you will see 'Add new entry'. Select the dates you logged your weights on NS and enter the values here.

Measures:

I take measurments once a month. I certainly would not want to lose them. The problem is that not all the measures that we take here are on MFP. So on MFP, go to Check-in. You wont see things like thigh, upper arm, etc. So first, delete the ones you dont need. Mine shows fitbit steps and sleep. I dont need either of these since my fitbit calories are in a different place on MFP and I can get all the sleep data I want on the FB site. I deleted the fields because they are just noise. Now click 'take additional measures'. At Description enter 'upper arm' and click add additional measure. Do this for your other NS measures that are missing.

Now you will need to go to the NS site, go to 'log measurements', and transfer each one to MFP. To do that, click 'edit previous entries' and then select the body part. Now you can select the date and enter the values.

I just did all of mine so now I have to go move Annette’s. I’m sure I’ll come across some other stuff as I go and will make another post...

Thank you for this valuable information Morgan!
  • mikemusky44
    Options
    ======================================================
    To change starting weight:

got to My Home tab
    click on Check-In
    type in starting weight
    click change button

To change daily percentages:

go to My Home tab
    click on Goals
    click Change Goals button
    Select Custom
    click Continue
    Fill in values
    click Change Goals button

My Home tab
    click settings
    choose option(diary settings)
    at bottom choose Public
    click Save Changes

My Home tab
    click profile
    click Edit Profile button
    fill in sections
    click Save Changes

My Home tab
    click profile
    click Change Ticker
    make selections
    click Continue until you see "Your Ticker is Complete"
    find and click the link "Forum Settings"
    click the box to show your ticker
    click Save Changes

Feel free to add more! :)

This will be a big help. Thanks Wen!
  • mikemusky44
    Options
    obie1nancy was kind enough to point out that the discussions page only shows the 10 most recently commented upon posts. To view all of the discussions, you can click on the "All Discussions" link (See pic below).

If you need a laugh, you may want to check out the "My first blog on MFP.." Discussion.

29ti9bgfvkma.gif
  • mikemusky44
    Options
    We can subscribe to blogs? How?!
    rlhealey wrote: »
    It will be obvious when you see someone else's blog (it doesn't show up on your own). A subscribe button appears and you click it to subscribe to the blogger. It will be saved in your feeds which are sort of like your web page favorites.

Thanks melbelle312 and Randy!

• pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone knows the answer to this question. I'm trying to keep all of my stuff in MFP so I don't have to track things in multiple places. When I log my exercise however, it converts it to calories I have burned, and then adjusts my calories left for the day according with that offset. I don't WANT it to change my calorie count goal -- is there a way I can get it stop that, yet still track my exercise here?
  • MarySG58
    MarySG58 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone knows the answer to this question. I'm trying to keep all of my stuff in MFP so I don't have to track things in multiple places. When I log my exercise however, it converts it to calories I have burned, and then adjusts my calories left for the day according with that offset. I don't WANT it to change my calorie count goal -- is there a way I can get it stop that, yet still track my exercise here?

Hi! As far as I know, you have two options:
    1) Click Exercise at the top of your screen, click My Exercises. There you will see message box(s), click to edit and type notes concerning tracking your exercise....example, Biked 7 miles 36 minutes or however you want to compose it.
    2) Continue what you are doing and as we all know MFP converts to calories burn which increases our daily goal. I choose not to eat my burn/earned extra calories, unless I am really hungry, then I will have an extra PF. (The last sentence was provided by NS moderator on the boards and counselor on the phone last year or so)

**I do both options. I also use the food message box on the Food Dairy for different reasons - Notes to self, etc.

You can also change your settings on your food dairy to set to negative....Go to settings and check this out because I could have the wrong update area for the negative settings...it is the same place where you set up your meals. Read the info for explanation! Hope this helps!
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    This doesn't work on iPhone or iPad
  • SueBready
    SueBready Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I'd record your exercise in your food notes for the day. That way it won't adjust your calories.
  • RoCla
    RoCla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    SueBready wrote: »

I'd record your exercise in your food notes for the day. That way it won't adjust your calories.

Yes and no on that Sue, I wear a polar loop and it reports calories burned to MFP automatically. I could turn that feature off, but I don't mind it changing my total daily calories available. I wanted something that would sync with my loop. I think FB and others may do the same depending on user settings.
  • Wen_Mitchell
    Wen_Mitchell Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could wait til the very end of the day...after you've logged all your food, then log the exercise. It won't matter about adding the calories back because you'll be done eating for the day.
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    RoCla wrote: »
    SueBready wrote: »

Yes and no on that Sue, I wear a polar loop and it reports calories burned to MFP automatically. I could turn that feature off, but I don't mind it changing my total daily calories available. I wanted something that would sync with my loop. I think FB and others may do the same depending on user settings.
    Vivofit syncs automatically, but shows exercise separate from food so I can ignore the exercise calories showing

• shedthesweater
    shedthesweater Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    jringold1 wrote: »
    **This is a repost from my NS Blog - Sorry if you have already read it but not sure everyone here will see it before the NS Site goes away**

Hope ya'll don't get tired of these but I am going to post of few of these reminders as I come across them this weekend. These are things that we will lose once the site is shut down and what I am doing about it.

As you may know, I am moving to MFP. So these will be more specific to MFP but could be used as a reminder to any site you go to.

Weights:

We don’t want to lose our weight loss history. So we need to move that history some where. On MFP go to check-in. At the bottom of the screen you will see 'edit previous entries'. On that screen, you will see any weights you have entered so far. Go to the bottom and you will see 'Add new entry'. Select the dates you logged your weights on NS and enter the values here.

Measures:

I take measurments once a month. I certainly would not want to lose them. The problem is that not all the measures that we take here are on MFP. So on MFP, go to Check-in. You wont see things like thigh, upper arm, etc. So first, delete the ones you dont need. Mine shows fitbit steps and sleep. I dont need either of these since my fitbit calories are in a different place on MFP and I can get all the sleep data I want on the FB site. I deleted the fields because they are just noise. Now click 'take additional measures'. At Description enter 'upper arm' and click add additional measure. Do this for your other NS measures that are missing.

Now you will need to go to the NS site, go to 'log measurements', and transfer each one to MFP. To do that, click 'edit previous entries' and then select the body part. Now you can select the date and enter the values.

I just did all of mine so now I have to go move Annette’s. I’m sure I’ll come across some other stuff as I go and will make another post...

Thank you for this valuable information Morgan!

This is perfect! I was trying here to pull old weighs in didn't work, I will try your way. Thank you!!!!
  • MarySG58
    MarySG58 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon MFPals!! This is some very helpful info IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MFP REFLECT YOUR ORIGINAL WEIGHT AND MEASUREMENTS. I JUST CHECKED AND YES WE CAN STILL ACCESS OUR WEIGHT AND MEASUREMENTS LOGS BY DATES UNDER THE NS MY PROGRAM. 1) GO TO NS AND RECORD ON PAPER IS FINE BY THE DATES AND THE AMOUNTS FOR YOUR WEIGHT AND/or MEASUREMENTS. 2) ON MFP My Home Page, click Check-In, scroll down to Edit Previous Entries and Click (this is how you create your history). Next, make sure Measurement to Edit: is set on Weight or whatever measurement, Click Change. Scroll Down to Add New Entry. Fill in Original Starting Date (No, it doesn't have to be the exact date), By Amount Enter___lbs., Click Add New Entry. You can do this for every weigh-in date and amount you posted on NS and it will be beneficial because you are building a history. **NOTE: In the future or as soon as you finish because this is real time updates - Click Reports (tab at top) and choose what from the down-down and date range for automatic chart display. ##When finished, be sure to check your My Home and Profile Pages to see if you updated it correctly. Also, your pre-set ticker on your Profile Page should also automatically update. NOW, you have a history to analyse your progress. You can go back up to a year on the Report. ^^^NOTE: Under Check-In, you add add other areas of measurements, you name what area and inches. Hope this helps!! Mary B)