Exercise Bike or 30 day shred?

Options
I started my diet 13 days ago ( I weigh in tomorrow!). I lost a few pounds in my first week :)

I have done exercise bike every day since I started and I have burned between 180 and 220 calories per day. I have the 30 day shred videos but I am not sure if I should do that instead of the bike or as well as? Or should I just stick with the bike on its own?

I still have 37 days before I go on holidays...

Has anyone else got any views or experience they might like to share?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I find it good to switch up my exercise. So try just exercise bike a couple days a week, just jillian a couple days and a couple days doing both and maybe have a day off?

I only got up to day 18 on 30 day shred but it really helped tone my tummy. I also do 2hrs a week exercise bike and walk alot.
  • joblmayes
    joblmayes Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would say give both a go, either both in one day or alternate, which ever suits you best.

I completed day 21 of the shred today, but still use the elliptical most days too, or cycle outdoors or walk if I can. I mix and match, depending how I feel each day. I vary the programme on my elliptical as well, so I don't become bored doing the same workout over and over.

I only did the shred today (as well as gardening) and no elliptical, and, as I changed up to level 3, will have a rest from the shred tomorrow and just get on the elliptical.

Most important is that you enjoy what you do, and so you will stick with it.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    try both, if its wiping you out then alternate between them both.
    personally 30ds speeded my runs up n i did loose inchs too but alternating what you do gives muscles a break e.g. runners are advised to have a rest day between run days when they start out, this means switching to the bike or swimming on these days. it boosts performance n you use different muscles, which increases your calorie burn....... for me its all good:smile:
    ditch the exercise bike n get on real one, its comfier n much more fun hunni x
  • Brit999
    Brit999 Posts: 6
    Options
    I tried the 30DS today.

OMG my legs are like jelly! But I think I will try doing it 4 times a week, with the exercise bike on the other 3.

Should I have a day with no exercise?

My weigh in did not go well today, I have been under my calorie allowance every day since last tuesday, and I have lost the grand total of zero :( I have exercised everyday though so I do feel a little fitter :).

@emblu I wish I were confident enough to take the bike out, it has been locked in the shed for over 18 months. One fine day I will take it out...

Thanks to everyone for their answers.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    wth DO BOTH! :bigsmile:
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I do 30DS with other things - currently doing C25K, a lot of walking and a bit of extra strength training. At the start I did 30DS with my mountain bike on a static trainer and it was doable but I wasn't very fit a few months back so I doubt I was pushing myself too hard on the bike!

I've noticed most of the change in my legs and I agree - on day 1 I could hardly walk upstairs to the shower lol

Edit to say: Don't be discouraged with the scale not moving - if you're muscles are sore you're probably retaining a bit of water while they repair. I always seem to gain for a couple of days after particularly heavy exercise.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    get a tape measure, its more accurate than the scales
    n brave the bike, just find a quiet trail n pedal. cyclists are a friendly bunch, there's no judgement just nods of the head, hello's n a lot of encouragement then enjoy a cuppa at the end
    its really worth it hun, i promise, my mate has learnt to ride this year at the age of 36 n being very overweight, she loves it (shes also slightly dyspraxic so balance isn't her strong point)
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I tried the 30DS today.

OMG my legs are like jelly! But I think I will try doing it 4 times a week, with the exercise bike on the other 3.

Should I have a day with no exercise?

My weigh in did not go well today, I have been under my calorie allowance every day since last tuesday, and I have lost the grand total of zero :( I have exercised everyday though so I do feel a little fitter :).

from the results I have seen I would say go for the 30DS especially if your goal is a holiday in 37 days (maybe less now). I am a sucker for the scale but make sure you take before pics, front/back/side (you don't have to post them on here, unless you want to!) Make sure you also measure. Whenever I do exercise, especially with weights my weight is up and down all the time (sore muscles, water retention etc). (I've twisted my ankle just over a week ago and since not doing any exercise my weight has been pretty much the same on a daily basis - so it does fluctuate with exercise).

with regards to a day off, the programme is designed for you to do 10 days on each level - therefore your 30 days in 30 days, but I would suggest that if you have time before your holiday maybe have a rest one day a week, or one day after each 10 days, so you have completed a level before having a break. I wish my ankle was better - I would join you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and enjoy your holiday. x
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I just got my bike 3 days ago and have done 30mins a day since, plus 30 day shred mon-tues. Im going to do a 5 mile walk 3 days a week and bike 4-5 days a week as shred is something id rather do everyday but with 2 young boys and busy life its hard to do a routine everyday so Il replace it with other circuits from youtube
    Shred plus more cardio makes a great combo so try maybe shred in morning and bike in the evening?
  • Ellewijo
    Ellewijo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello

I'm combing the 30 day shred with Total Body Revolution and anything by Jilliam Michaels gets my vote. I have results in no time at all and I've avoided phys for 2 years. It's great to break things up and keep the metabolism and muscles guessing.

Good luck :)