Using Inositol? Have you had this side effect?

Options
rowclic
rowclic Posts: 19 Member
Hi ladies!
I've been using Inositol for a couple of months (6g dosage) and I'm happy with the results.

I'm just wondering if anyone else taking it has had side effects.

I take my Inositol just before I eat my breakfast and within 30-40 (like clockwork) I go from feeling perfectly fine to having an occurrence of urgent diarrhea and then that's it - back to normal and good to go for the day! It's nothing I can't handle and at least it's predictable but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

I've taken metformin in the past and also had tummy troubles but there was no predictability there!

Thanks and have a great day!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    How much are you taking, and what do you have for breakfast? Do you eat the same thing every day for breakfast? How long have you been taking the Inositol?

What you report isn't a known side effect of Inositol. The worst/only known GI side effect is nausea. It's possible it could be an extension of that nausea. Might be worth backing down your dose a little for a while and easing back up and see if that helps, or if you've recently started it, just ride it out for a couple of weeks, at which time it should subside.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've been taking 2000 mg inositol a day for a few months (half at breakfast, half at dinner) and no, haven't had that side effect... I'm also taking 500 mg metformin at both meals and no intestinal distress since cutting my carbs way back...
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the toilet not too long after taking 2mg! Not diarrhoea, but my dose is a lot smaller than yours....

Pretty sure i read somewhere that this can happen?!

Do you find you're losing weight with it? I didn't notice much, but as i was travelling, my diet wasn't too great a lot of the time. If i try again, maybe i'll up my dose. Just curious, why do you take 6gm? Was that recommended by someone?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Just curious, why do you take 6gm? Was that recommended by someone?

I can't speak for the OP for certain, but 4g+ is what most of the studies have found to be consistently therapeutic for PCOS. The studies do acknowledge that some can probably see effects at lower dosages, but none have actually used much lower.
  • rowclic
    rowclic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started out at 4g and the weight was coming off but really slowly. I think that's partly because I'm now north of 40 haha! After I finished my first bottle I decided to up the dosage a bit to see if there was any improvement. Now I'm finding that my weight loss is steady at 1.5lbs per week. I think the combo of the Inositol and tracking everything last little thing I eat is doing the trick. I'm down 30lbs since Jan 1st!
    Interestingly, still having the tummy troubles but if I don't take it right before I eat but rather maybe 30-60 minutes after breakfast that seems to help. Still playing around with the timing. May try splitting the dose between breakfast and late afternoon too.
    (Also interesting - I've had a completely normal cycle the last three months in a row. I have an IUD in place so no real period to speak of but all the other symptoms are there. I've NEVER had a normal cycle three months in a row. This would have been awesome back when TTC ten years ago! )
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    rowclic wrote: »
    I started out at 4g and the weight was coming off but really slowly. I think that's partly because I'm now north of 40 haha! After I finished my first bottle I decided to up the dosage a bit to see if there was any improvement. Now I'm finding that my weight loss is steady at 1.5lbs per week. I think the combo of the Inositol and tracking everything last little thing I eat is doing the trick. I'm down 30lbs since Jan 1st!
    Interestingly, still having the tummy troubles but if I don't take it right before I eat but rather maybe 30-60 minutes after breakfast that seems to help. Still playing around with the timing. May try splitting the dose between breakfast and late afternoon too.
    (Also interesting - I've had a completely normal cycle the last three months in a row. I have an IUD in place so no real period to speak of but all the other symptoms are there. I've NEVER had a normal cycle three months in a row. This would have been awesome back when TTC ten years ago! )

Yeah, Inositol has made my period like clockwork since I started taking it. I also have an IUD, so it was really super light at first. I dropped my carbs to generally under 10g total as an experiment, and a week into it, my period started (on time, the timing was just coincidence), and it was actually more like a "normal" period instead of the "barely even need anything" type thing that had been going on.