specific Exercise goal idea

Options
rocky503
rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
So I enjoy our general fitness goals so far for miles or just total minutes of exercise but I wanted to see what the interest is in setting a specific strength training goal and tracking that.

As we mature it is ever more important that strength training play a major role in our fitness and health. If you are anything like me I have generally been a cardio queen most of my life but now want to focus more on training with weight and being consistent. Cardio of course has it's place and please don't give that up but maybe we can shine a light on weights too.

I propose a fitness challenge of weight training three days a week over an eight week period. Each of us picks our own method of weight training: gym based, home based, classes, kettle bells, free weights, body weight exercises, whatever fits your lifestyle and accessibility. Also we can describe our routines and answer questions and give resources to each other.

So let me know what y'all think.....:wink:

Replies

• marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm in for that! Like you, I was cardio queen but am now just looking into the benefits of strength training.
  • rocky503
    Options
    I'm in for that! Like you, I was cardio queen but am now just looking into the benefits of strength training.

Great, so far we have the two of us. I just ordered a new Kettle bell and I am thinking of maybe starting the challenge this next Sunday June 16th.......A weight training session three days a week for eight weeks. Maybe take pictures or measurements to track progress ( not required to share or post of course unless you want to).
  • marcon125
    Options
    Sounds good! I have started a new membership at a gym to weight train. Currently doing 2 sessions but can easily move to 3. Measurements are a good idea. Photos are hit and miss with me, but I'll give those a try.
  • rocky503
    Options
    So I had planned on a weight session yesterday but with Father's day, etc. it didn't happen. I am taking measurements this week and starting my commitment of 3 days of training every week.
  • marcon125
    Options
    Great! I took my measurements, but don't have them here with me. I will put them in tonite!
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Hey, I work out at home. I usually do an upper body circuit with hand weights about 4-5 days a week. I'm curious about kettle bells. I did a search on the forums to see if hand weights are different than using a kettle bell (better for form, worse for form, have better results, etc). Can I get your opinion on that?
  • rocky503
    Options
    Hello
    I 've be busy so haven't taken my measurements yet..... but will soon. Monday I got a weight session in. Hope to today.
  • rocky503
    Options
    Hey, I work out at home. I usually do an upper body circuit with hand weights about 4-5 days a week. I'm curious about kettle bells. I did a search on the forums to see if hand weights are different than using a kettle bell (better for form, worse for form, have better results, etc). Can I get your opinion on that?

So my understand about Kettle bells vs. dumb bells (doing either is better than no weight training at all) is you can get a nice metabolic boost from Kettle bells but that's true of all weight training generally, but I notice this more with KBs. Kettle bells usually involve more compound movements that require use of many muscles per exercise compared to performing isolated movements with dumbbells. One kettle bell of the correct weight is all you need for a full body workout. For me I notice the backs of my legs and butt are much more engaged and I feel Like I'm hitting those areas better swinging a KB.

The time spent on a hand weight workout 4 or 5 days a week of just the upper body could be better spent on compound exercises for the whole body three days a week.

I am doing a combination of Kettle bell and body weight workouts this summer. Each of my training sessions is a full body workout as that is more efficient for me. So I plan to knockout three full body workouts a week.

There are many resources regarding KB exercises on utube and the net.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Thank you, Rocky. I appreciate the feedback!
  • rocky503
    Options
    I;ve been lifting but haven't taken my measurements yet. I will post tomorrow. My July goal is 10 weight training sessions: body weight or kettle bell. Running/jogging/walking sessions at least eight for the month. And of course plank goal for July.