Food challenge at our gym (and InBody results)

bethlivi
bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
We are doing an Eat to Perform challenge, and though I generally avoid strict dieting (due to a history that includes disordered eating during college and high school dance 10+ years ago), I decided to try it because of its focus on performance above all else. My performance at the gym had really stagnated up until the Open this year, and I was very frustrated. So, I joined.

In February, I had a BF% of 22.4. Then a month later: 22.8%. Now...in all honesty, I didn't actually do the ETP plan during that first month...rather, I just tracked my food intake. After the 22.8% reading, our coach asked me if I was doing it for real, and I said no. He recommended I contact their moderators on the ETP forums and she gave me specific macro targets and goals for when to eat what, etc. She put me on 2105 calories: 245 carbs, 65 fat and 135 protein, with cutting only 50-100 carbs on non-workout days. So, I said--cool. Let's go.

It's been 5 weeks and I did my next InBody reading. 20.4%. Whoa. WHOA. AND, I gained 1.5lbs of muscle (no weight change, but my composition changed). I PRed my snatch (and snatch double), my clean double, and my strict press during that month, too.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but OMG, it really works. It's not just that it makes me deliriously happy to eat lucky charms before bed every night, but it actually works. I'm so giddy, I just had to share. Sorry. haha

Anyone else have such a good response with ETP or other? I'm really shocked...I didn't think it would make that big of a difference for someone like me who only goes 3-4x a week and doesn't do any supplemental work.

Replies

• Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    I have been doing ETP since beginning of January and it's amazing ☺
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    That's an amazing result!
    I had my numbers done by one of the members here but lost them and to be honest, I couldn't for the life of me work them out :(
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    thanks for sharing! One of my coaches explained ETP to me and I have been adding a pre-meal/ post-meal with white rice and I have put on about 3 lbs and I think a little fat. However, I am a lot stronger and the amazing thing is my recovery. After a WOD that would usually wipe me out for the rest of the day, I am ready to do another WOD in 15 minutes. Last Saturday after the WOD I started working on other stuff and someone says, you aren't working hard enough during the WOD... felt a bit insulted then I just said my recovery has just got a ton better. I should buy in and do the ETP program right, I am sure I am not eat the right amount of calories. Before the pre-meal/ post meal of adding carbs back in I was following the Paleo diet for about 10 months.
  • bethlivi
    Yeah if you've been doing paler you have to add carbs in more slowly because you'll get an inflammatory/bloating response otherwise....I've never been paleo or low carb so I think that's why I eased into it so fast, you know? And I agree on the energy and recovery--I eat about 40 carbs and 20 protein pre workout and also after and damned if I don't feel good. Haha
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Wow, that's awesome! What is your height and weight if you don't mind me asking? I've been considering ETP...
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    ETP is a great program and pretty easy to follow once you get adjusted. I think my TDEE was reading a bit high though, so I backed off a bit. I think i was giving myself credit for being more active than I really am. Now results are starting to come slowly but surely.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    I love it but I will be honest: You know those t-shirts which say "Eat, Sleep, Train, Repeat"? Add in Counting Macros and you pretty much have my life.

It is all consuming (pun intended), I don't have time for anything besides training, which now is going to include some long walks and rowing in the evenings. Weekly planning and meal prep takes up most of Sunday
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    I love it but I will be honest: You know those t-shirts which say "Eat, Sleep, Train, Repeat"? Add in Counting Macros and you pretty much have my life.

It is all consuming (pun intended), I don't have time for anything besides training, which now is going to include some long walks and rowing in the evenings. Weekly planning and meal prep takes up most of Sunday

That is my planned retirement, but for now I have to insert JOB in that mix.

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Same here. If I was independently wealthy I'd be in kick-*kitten* shape :)
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member

Me too + 4 kids & a husband

• bethlivi
    I'm 5'5" and 135lbs. I don't hold myself incredibly strictly accountable in that I don't fight to meet my macros exactly because I don't like supplements (I'm an incredibly picky eater), but I do work to hit them. And I eat the same things most days...I have a three year old, I'm a professor at a big school, and I have a lot of responsibilities (as do we all!) so I usually just do random things to eat. That's one reason I'm surprised that it really worked. I always (every day) go over my sugar recommendations. And many days I don't hit my protein, but just getting close has made such a huge difference. :-)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member

Kinda took that for granted. Basically I do 8-10 hours here and then I do that ^^. Nothing else. No social life, just food, gym, planning for food, sleep.