Fitbit Flex--GPS

Options
lmbecker12
lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
Anyone have issues with their Fitbit inaccurately tracking their distance when using the GPS feature with their Fitbit app? I like to keep track of my speed/distance and the impact on my overall day with it, but I'm finding it to be horribly inaccurate in everything but the time I'm gone and that's based off of me hitting start and finish!

Yesterday I walked between 1.5-2 miles and it logged 0.6 miles and the GPS map was all wrong...

I have the fitbit flex and I'm pushing a stroller, so I normally tuck the Fitbit in a pocket or my waistband...yesterday tracked less than 500 steps, so guessing the steps didn't register, which I attribute to that...

Thoughts?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I usually use MapMyWalk to track speed/distance, etc. It's feedback is more to my liking, and I can pause it if we stop for some reason (chat with neighbor, stone in shoe, need a rest after that killer hill, etc.). I don't know why the Fitbit's GPS tracking would be worse, since they're both using the phone's GPS, but I have to admit, on the few occasions when I've used it, it has seemed less reliable.
  • DanielleMesa
    DanielleMesa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You have to check your stride length in the settings. It doesn't have GPS. It calculates distance based on steps counted and multiplies that by your stride length.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    You have to check your stride length in the settings. It doesn't have GPS. It calculates distance based on steps counted and multiplies that by your stride length.

Actually, you can use the Fitbit app on your phone to use the phone's GPS to map your workout. Then it isn't dependent on steps - but it seems like it isn't as reliable as other workout mapping apps.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Actually, you can use the Fitbit app on your phone to use the phone's GPS to map your workout. Then it isn't dependent on steps - but it seems like it isn't as reliable as other workout mapping apps.

^^^^This so I am still using MapMyWalk to track my routes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's not that the Fitbit was getting the distance wrong _because_ you used the GPS.

It's because you used the GPS that you discovered the distance the device saw was wrong. And if you used the device in the same manner without GPS enabled - it would still be wrong - you just wouldn't be as aware of it.

So when you use the GPS function, distance and time are sent to Fitbit account as a workout, the steps are calculated from your entered stride length, and your calorie burn from the pace.

All this really showed is that either your stride length setting is way off - or indeed the way you walked with stroller confused it.

Since pushing extra weight neither GPS or device (even if distance was correct) would have been right for calorie burn. Unless going mighty slow so it didn't matter.

You throw another twist in - inaccuracy potential of GPS.

All you have to do is delete the workout that Fitbit created, and the original Fitbit stats will be used for calorie burn. Write down the start and duration first though.
    Once the workout is deleted, create an activity record with start and finish times, and you'll get a snapshot of what Fitbit saw during that time.
    If steps and distance is badly off, your method of use did confuse it, it's not trustworthy either.
    Might try a different pocket to put it in so the impact can be see really well.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    It's not that the Fitbit was getting the distance wrong _because_ you used the GPS.

Maybe, maybe not. When I tried to use the Fitbit GPS function, it occasionally jumped me all over the place, adding miles to a short walk - and making it look like I'm The Flash or something. It may have been partially user error as I'm not certain I verified the GPS had good signal before starting.
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! Sounds like it's time to play around for a bit! :smile:

I know my calorie burn will be off (it's also all uphill one way) but I would rather factor low on calorie burn....since I do eat back some...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, phone GPS can be effected even more than dedicated GPS unit. Especially if true GPS isn't really fixed on, and phone is relying on Assisted GPS from cell towers, which can take a hit and jump around just as described.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    It isn't because it is jumping around between cell towers when I have GPS problems. I suspect rather that it is lack of cell towers. We only have one cell tower to cover our location and it's iffy.