Fibromyalgia getting better?

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
I was diagnosed in 1999. It has been a long road full of pain and depression. The pain has been unbearable at times! Emergency room visits (which you learn do no good), crying to my doctor. Physical dependence on opiate pain medication because I took it everyday for over twelve years. Being unable to work my profession (registered nurse) because the pain was terrible and I couldn't hold up. Every treatment imaginable. Nothing ever helped! I had lost 110lb. and the pain never got better!

Through mfp I found a group in January. I began reading posts and saw where the overall consensus was feeling better, with more energy. After a few weeks of reading,I was intrigued enough to try their way of eating. It's the LCD-Low Carb Daily group. I began at 100g daily. I found that the lower I went on the carb count, the better I felt. So, I dropped it lower. I am now at 20 or less. I can say that this woe has changed my life! I still hurt, but it doesn't last as long. Recovery time is drastically reduced. I can do a chore and get tired, but after sitting for about thirty minutes I'm ready to tackle the next one. I was lucky to get one chore done a day the way it was. Now I am actually accomplishing tasks instead of sitting there on the couch thinking about it!

I feel the pain was my body's way of trying to tell me that I was poisoning it with the food I was eating!

I know many people will think I am doing the wrong thing, that we all need a balanced diet.....save it for someone else. Tell me, where did the food pyramid recommendations come from? Our government. The USDA and FDA are government agencies. Do you feel the government lies to you for their own profit? Do the research and look at the facts. Look at the obesity and diabetes epidemic. It's likely because of these balanced diets!

I know how I feel and no one can dispute that! :)

Replies

• e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are right Karlotta! I started MFP back up right after you I think. I haven't gotten to the point where I can drop all those carbs yet but I have reduced. MFP suggests 50% which is (for my height and activity level) 150 carbs per day. Im trying to get it down. I'm around 130 now. I know it's high still but fruit, ahh! I love eating fruit! Most breads I've managed to keep out. I also took pain killers for many years. Then without for 3. Some are now required with trepidation. My main goal is to feel better and reduce inflammation . 2nd is to lessen the load on my joints and 3rd to look better. I'm glad I'm in your group. Here's to our health and well being
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I feel a lot better when I follow a paleo style diet. My headaches disappear, my hip pain disappears plantar fasciitis feels better. However at the moment I am really struggling to stick to it I know it makes me feel better but I just can't do it. My main problem is my husband doesn't believe in dietary intervention and try's to sabotage me. I find it hard sticking to the diet and cooking for a family that are not on the plan. I know I need to just go for it, I have cut out dairy this week so that's a start. I am glad you have found relief from pain.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank y'all! :-)
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Awesome.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @timeyn, yes, it is! Thank you!! :smiley:
  • tlfoth
    tlfoth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I will have to look into the low carbs. Anything that helps with fibromyalgia is worth a shot to me. Thank you for the info.
  • JoAngle
    JoAngle Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am a young 69 yo female. I see a Personal Trainer 3 days a week and am on 40% carbs, 30% Protein & fat. Was diagnosed with Fibro about 20 years ago. Hypothyroid on thyroxin. I am DETERMINED to be well and at a good weight (20 to loose).
    Your discussion about low carbs fascinates me. Can you tell me more? Bless you. We are getting better not older.