Week 4 - May 4 to May 10

shirayne
shirayne Posts: 263 Member
Surprise! Ya I'm early on this one but I just had a good idea for the food challenge so I wanted to get it posted in case you need to research and plan for next week. I'll post the fitness challenge this weekend.

So I usually track carbs, sugar, protein, fat, and sodium in my diary and I was looking at the different things you can track and noticed that I almost never eat my goal of fibre. ALMOST NEVER!!! Yikes!

So next week's challenge is to get within 2 grams of your fibre goal (preferably under but over isn't too bad) without busting everything else! :)

Good luck and please share your ideas!

Replies

• shirayne
    Just found this link.... http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20553010_3,00.html

Great info including this tip: "If you only eat (low-fiber) foods right now, don't suddenly switch to eating 40 grams of fiber a day, because that will cause a lot of stress to the digestive system."

So don't over compensate! Be safe!
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    I wanted to note, for anyone who wants the info, that Nature's Harvest Whole Wheat light bread (2 slices) is 5 grams of fiber (80 calories), 1/2 a hass avocado is 5 grams of fiber (150 calories), and 1.5 cups of broccoli and cauliflower is 6 grams of fiber (approx. 75 calories). I know these off the top of my head because they're staple foods for me. AND the avocado is a super healthy fat. Good luck everyone!!
  • prof_newme
    prof_newme Posts: 84 Member
    I love avocado! (maybe a little too much) I'm going to go back tomorrow and check where I've been and try to raise it some! Shirayne you are so full of good ideas! and Mischel what a great tip on that bread! High fiber bread is always so high in calories, that one sounds like I need to try it!
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    I have some stomach issue but I am going to try. I think it will help! I make a great home made guacamole
  • shirayne
    It's awesome to see the love avocados are getting! I'm the only one at home who eats them lol
  • prof_newme
    I have some stomach issue but I am going to try. I think it will help! I make a great home made guacamole
    Chick, do you have a recipe or do you "just do it" I put a little of this and a bit of that and its pretty good.

• Jinx_Mo
    Mmmm guacamole is my FAVORITE food! I make it all kinds of ways, but to bulk it up now that I'm eating healthy AND watching calories, I mix in a couple of spoons full of fat free cottage cheese. It adds protein, doesn't change the flavor, and gives you MORE (always a plus in my book). I make it with chopped onion, chopped tomato, season salt to taste, and about 1 key lime worth of juice. YUMMMM!!!!!!!!
  • Jinx_Mo
    oh, and almost forgot, a handful of chopped cilantro!
  • Hippychick5983
    This is the one I go with if I have the time

allrecipes.com/recipe/guacamole/

If I don't have the time I just mash up the avocados and mix it with Santa Barbara Mild Salsa and just add some lime juice so it doesn't turn green!! Now I want chips and salsa....lol!!
  • shirayne
    Man that recipe sounds delish!!! I have to try that!
  • Jinx_Mo
    Guess who was super successful this last month!!!
    63294193.png
  • shirayne
    edited May 2015
    FANTASTIC LOSS! WOOT! Your hard work is certainly paying off!

Did groceries today and loaded up on apples, avocados, cottage cheese, double fibre bread, and quinoa! It's gonna be an awesome challenge this week!

Oh! I almost forgot! THE FITNESS CHALLENGE!!!

WE'RE DOING KEGELS!!! So here's the challenge, do 150 kegels this week (soabout 21-22 per day)!

Sounds simple? Perhaps... but there's always a twist. We're going to do them while in some form of transportation! So, if you drive to work, do them in your car. If you take the bus, like myself, be very discreet... LOL

Here's a link on how to do them properly! http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/kegel-exercises/art-20045283

Have fun!
  • Jinx_Mo
    Thanks Shirayne! I'm on a cloud right now. I tried to be conservative in my mini goals so I wasn't set to hit this weight til the end of May! (Memorial day to be exact!) I'm not going to change up my goals in case the weight loss slows, which we all know it will, but I still feel super motivated!

As for the kegels, I'm all in! I have a 30 minute commute to work so plenty of time to get those done! Funny, your grocery list looks like mine! I got apples, light whole wheat bread, cauliflower and broccoli, and cabbage. Yum yum!!
  • shirayne
    So I reached my fibre goal yesterday and I'm fully anticipating a day spent in the washroom! LOL Also did 25 Kegels on the bus on the way home... :) I know no one noticed but I kept looking around to see if anyone was looking. LMAO
  • prof_newme
    I found these supper yummy Fiber one strawberry streusel bars. That have 5 grams of fiber. I have them hidden under my desk so the family doesn't eat them all on me. (sssshhhh don't tell) I also have Quinoa it is scheduled for lunch tomorrow.

25 Kegels Today. I forgot to check so I started now. Yesterday I hit my fiber goal. Today I'm running a bit short. I have veggie burgers planned for dinner so that should bring me close
  • shirayne
    woot woot! Awesome job! I also did my 25 today and I'm over my goal by 1. :) So far so good!

Any ideas for next week?
  • Jinx_Mo
    Kegels were done on the drive into work today, and they're not half as easy as I thought they'd be! By #20 I was thinking, "Sweet baby Jesus, don't let me get a muscle cramp!" LMAO As for the fiber, I'm not doing so hot. I've hit 13 grams for 2 days now... :( Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.

Idea for next week... seated ab crunches... see more here-->
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=607RczKt5I4
  • Hippychick5983
    edited May 2015
    Haven't reported in this week much. Sorry!

I have been pretty close all this week to my fiber goal. Right around the 20 mark everyday. I know I can improve it. Just want to be careful. I have a 4 hour commute to work everyday and my stomach and I have an agreement lol.

I have not done any Kegels...... I'll try to get some in today!

I like the idea of seated ab crunches!

Also slightly off topic but wanted to share my new favorite breakfast / snack.

I got a new I got a new blender and it is awesome. It comes with two travel bottles that you actually blend in. Makes it easy to be on the go and less clean up! Today I made a blueberry - strawberry smoothie with some vanilla protein powder for breakfast on the train. Yum!
  • shirayne
    Sounds delicious! I've been good with my fibre (up until today that is). I have to say... my body is rebelling a bit... I'm getting much too intimately knowledgeable about the wall colour in my bathroom. LOL

Kegels are ok. Forgot today so I'm doing them now!

@MischelM: Jeepers you keep me in stitches girl!
  • Jinx_Mo
    I love smoothies, but they just don't fill me up the way chewing a solid does. Maybe it's mental..??? I do like the blender with travel mugs/bottles, and I WANT one! I may not get full on smoothies, but I still love them and will trade some of my solid food calories for one. I've been making a really good smoothie with frozen fresh strawberries and frozen bananas on the weekends. It's like a decadent milkshake without the guilt!

As for the kegels, they're kickin my butt! (no pun intended...lol) I'm failing on the fiber goal, but the week's not over!
  • Jinx_Mo
    Woo hoo! 23 out of 25 grams of fiber today!! Yeah yeah, it's Friday, but still!! As for the kegels, I have one set left to do, but they'll have to wait until tomorrow because I swear my "kegel muscles" are POOPED! Who knew those things could be so exhausting!! LOL
  • Jinx_Mo
    In case anyone is wondering, a half cup of black beans contains 7 grams of fiber! Who knew??!!!
  • prof_newme

I got a new blender and it is awesome. It comes with two travel bottles that you actually blend in. Makes it easy to be on the go and less clean up! Today I made a blueberry - strawberry smoothie with some vanilla protein powder for breakfast on the train. Yum!

Sounds so yummy! I have a Magic bullet That I hardly ever use...I think blueberry smoothies will be in next weeks rotation

• prof_newme
    MischelM wrote: »
    In case anyone is wondering, a half cup of black beans contains 7 grams of fiber! Who knew??!!!

That's awesome!

• prof_newme

shirayne wrote: »
    Any ideas for next week?

Maybe as a food goal we add herbs or spices. It's always a good idea to make your food taste good. I've been looking for suggestions for different things to try...

• shirayne
    Ooooo I like that idea! Let me think on it and I'll come up with something!

I'm discovering that sustaining high levels of fibre every day is harder than it looks! My body is rebelling a bit but getting used to it.

Kegels almost complete! :)
  • prof_newme
    shirayne wrote: »

I'm discovering that sustaining high levels of fibre every day is harder than it looks! My body is rebelling a bit but getting used to it.

I usually make almost all (20) of my recommended 25 grams but I'm not sure I can do more without having problems... I think I am going to just do one gram a week or so and build slowly. But this have been great for making me notice

• Jinx_Mo
    I agree, this challenge really opened my eyes to how often I don't come close to the fiber I SHOULD be eating. I looked back and I'm usually in the 13-15 range of my 25. I need to up my veggies and/or beans, that'll help, and I like both so laziness is my only excuse for not having already topped out on these things.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE herbs and spices. I don't cook ANYTHING without them and I bet I have 50-60 jars of spices and herbs on my rack, not to mention the stuff I store in my freezer (frozen chopped peppers, onions, cilantro) and the stuff I store in the fridge (garlic, sofrito, pesto). Just a touch of this and a touch of that can totally change the taste of the most common side dishes and really liven up a tired meal. I cook whole grain rice every weekend for the coming week and I change the way I spice it so it will taste completed different from week to week and help compliment the meats I choose. My mom is the queen of spices and I picked it up from her.
  • prof_newme
    That is great news Mischel! I have a real problem with getting bored. I hate it and it happens way too quickly! I need hints on new spices and how to use them new or old. Do you eat Turmeric or fenugreek? I've never tried either...
  • Jinx_Mo
    I've had turmeric and it's good.... fenugreek has a hint of a black licorice taste to me, and I despise black licorice, so I don't mess with it. My mom likes to cook with fennel in certain dishes, that has the same licorice hint for me. Yuck!!! Eww!!! BLAH!!! lol

I'm a big fan of chicken because you can change its taste so easily. One recipe I ADORE it to take 6 chicken breasts and cut them into "fingers" or strips, throw them in a large Ziploc bag. Then dump in 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon of chopped garlic, a tsp of ginger and about 1-2 Tbsp of brown sugar (more brown sugar makes the meat taste sweeter). shake the bag up and let it marinate at least 30 minutes, but overnight is better. Cook it any way you like, in the oven, in a skillet, on the grill... no matter what it makes THE BEST bourbon street chicken EVER (a yummy Applebee's dish I adulterated). It goes amazingly well with any type of Asian rice (I don't say fried rice because I never fry my rice) and makes even the dullest side more lively. In fact, it is even good cold! Give it a whirl.