Splitting up long runs?

Options
I read somewhere recently (think runners world or womens running) that splitting up a long run doesn't really make a difference in your training as long as it is within a 24 hour period. Has anyone actually done this? with what results? I don't plan to do it but if i end up doing my long runs on call nights and then get called in it may be my best option. To me it seems there would be a big difference energy/endurance wise having a several hour break between runs.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The adaptations that take place on the long run do not even begin until you have been running for about 90 minutes. Splitting up a 16 mile run into two 8 mile runs is not the same.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not an expert but I guess one of the purposes of long runs is to get your body used to run a certain amount of miles continuosly (i.e. 12/13 miles for a half-marathon and so on). On race day, you won't have the option to split your run in two so I don't see the benefit of doing so during your long runs.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It may (or may not) benefit you physically but the psychological aspect of the long run cannot be overplayed. If the furthest you have run is say 13 miles and you're going to enter a marathon that is quite a leap mentally.

This harps on a bout the benefits of splitting runs and there's tones of other articles professing the same but I am of the opinion that a long run should be just that

http://www.marathonnation.us/long-run/splitting-the-marathon-long-run/
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    There are situations where I'd schedule runners for split runs, but as a rule I don't. I find it more apt for triathletes that have other stressors on their body besides running.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If you have to cancel a long run because of work, it might be better to switch workouts and do the run another day, even if it reduces the overall mileage. Long runs are the most important aspect of training. If that is just not possible, then a split is better than nothing.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that one long vs two shorter runs would still result in a similar cardiovascular benefit, but the mental and muscular training benefits at long distances is lost.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The training plan I'm following has you doing a 6 mile easier run the day before your long run. He says that this is important for simulating running longer distances on tired legs but the plan doesn't cut the longer run short at all. There's still two 18 mile and one 20 mile run in the mix. I'd say it's necessary to do it all at once.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    From everything I have read the posters above are correct about it not being the same. Keep the long run instead of splitting it up.

There are some experienced runners in this thread who have given me good advice. I would trust them here as well
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not ideal, but if there are time constraints it doesn't hurt. I had to split up a 12-miler a few weeks back--6 in the am, 6 in the pm. I wouldn't say it's beneficial to do it often, but once in awhile is fine.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would not split my long run in two runs. I do run 2-a-days and also back-to-back long runs, but my long run is my long run.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Splitting up a long run = two short runs = not as good as a long run = better than one short run.

For marathon training I wouldn't make a habit of it, but in a pinch it'll do!