Need tips for upper body, please adivse

Options
Solidkrieger
Solidkrieger Posts: 12 Member
I am in the military and that requires me to do pushups and sit ups on a constants bases. I noticed that even with my RA being somewhat under control I struggle every day with my wrists, thumbs elbow and finger joints. This makes it difficult if not impossible to use weights or do common push ups. I have been on prednisone for almost a year 15mg and even tho I somewhat maintained weight I feel I actually lost a lot of muscle mass and it was replaced by fat. I can defiantly see it on my face. Does anybody have good tips of upper body strength training that does not require you to use your hands by chance, or anything in that matter? It would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am in the military and that requires me to do pushups and sit ups on a constants bases. I noticed that even with my RA being somewhat under control I struggle every day with my wrists, thumbs elbow and finger joints. This makes it difficult if not impossible to use weights or do common push ups. I have been on prednisone for almost a year 15mg and even tho I somewhat maintained weight I feel I actually lost a lot of muscle mass and it was replaced by fat. I can defiantly see it on my face. Does anybody have good tips of upper body strength training that does not require you to use your hands by chance, or anything in that matter? It would be greatly appreciated.

I lose grip strength very easily. However, I use weights machines at the gym purely because they are more forgiving than a barbell - I know all the stuff about body weight exercises or squats being the 'only' way for success and, quite frankly, if they want to lie at my feet and trust me not to drop something on their face, then I'll listen to them. Until then, they can get lost up inside themselves.

I also do a lot of water based exercise, as you get resistance from the water, especially if you're in relatively deep (up to shoulders) and the water cools inflammation.

Other than that, my rheumatologist switched me initially from oral pred. to an injection of another, more powerful steroid into a muscle so that it lasts longer, is better absorbed and doesn't cause the same - well, great fat blobbiness - that the oral steroid did. After a few years on that (and the feeling of relief a couple of hours after a shot, following a flare where I can't even open my front door or do up shoelaces is great) - she switched onto DMARDs - methotrexate injections. After 6 months, I didn't have steroids at all - I only need have them in the future if the MTX stops working, in the gap between that and waiting for an alternative DMARD, such as lefo, to work.
  • GinaAtterson
    Options
    I have to agree with the water exercises. I do mostly swimming for my fitness activity. The breast stroke will offer the most resistance/toning than other strokes. You can also use one of those "swim pull floats" that is specifically to give your upper body a work out.
  • Solidkrieger
    Solidkrieger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise
  • roany
    roany Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, just wanna say that that's really inspiring to see someone doing something so physical for their job with this condition.
    Keep going!
  • dwmaestradeb
    Options
    You might want to look into indoor rowing classes...you use your wrists and hands but you're not putting all of your weight on them like you do during push-ups and the like. I hope you find something that works for you. Hang in there.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Army PA advised my husband (totally off the record, of course) to look into yoga to help with his wrist flexibility issues. There was a great studio near where he was stationed. He had an excellent instructor who wasn't the slightest bit flaky (as some of them have a reputation for being), and the yoga was gentle enough not to make things worse and effective enough to help improve flexibility and to make the pain subside.

** DH actually deployed with a boxers fracture that never healed, so his wrists and hands are forever tweaked. Neither of us thought he'd be able to put any weight on the one, it was so bad. He couldn't bend (with the movement that it takes to knock on a door). PT didn't do much. The only thing that worked for him was the yoga and it was the only thing that gave him back some mobility.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't actually know yet what is causing my joint problems. I'm waiting for test results and worrying about it. It's encouraging to see that it's possible to be in the military and be active with RA, even if it isn't easy. Thank you.

My experience with years of chronic hand pain is that the exercises in yoga that call for spreading the fingers wide apart give me a lot of relief. I do some of these too: http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/features/hand-exercises-rheumatoid-arthritis

I'm not currently having problems in my elbows or arms, or even my wrists, which is a change. I hope you find a solution for upper body training.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain (sorry for pun). I'm a carpenter by trade and use my hands a lot, which is very difficult to do at times.

When I work out, one thing I've noticed was my form needed polishing after 30 years of lifting along with working compound exercises primarily with a minimal touch of accessories helps with joint pain or lack of hand strength.

Lately when in a pool I do some treading to work my back and shoulders.

I can't be on a meds to help the RA as there are cancer risks and I went through a battle a couple years back and its safer not to be on anything.., Keep with what you can and maybe use a open grip as much as possible.

I also picked up playing guitar a few years ago and it does wonders for loosening up my fingers and adding some strength back, but it did hurt initially until my hands got to use it.

Good luck.