5/1 Day 71 Friday Movin May Begins!

Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
DISCLAIMER: Because I truly believe this will help you all this month will be a little bit different. The Month long challenge will be turned into the daily challenges of this month due to the way that they are laid out. There is an alternative challenge everyday so if you don't want to so what the month long challenge is then you won't have too. I really believe this will help you all out and so that is why we are doing it this way! Sorry for the inconvience. Also if you like he challenge please sign up on the event page(on myfitnesspal in this group) so that we know you are involved. It want to see how many people we get involved in this and if it is popular we will expand upon it.
Without further ado...THE CHALLENGE! (Sorry..it is kinda long!)

Welcome to the Movin' in May Challenge-A-Day!
(Also welcome daily challengers!)

We are glad that you decided to join us in May for 31 days of sitting less and moving more. Grab a seat and make yourself at...yikes...no wait, don't sit down...that's the whole point of this monthly challenge! See how pervasive sitting is?

Over the next few weeks we'll give you lots of ideas and resources to sit less and move more. Some of the daily challenges will be more appropriate for some folks than others but we think they'll be something for everyone. There will be some repetition in the daily challenges, too, because sitting less over the long run means finding ways to be less sedentary that you repeat over and over again until it becomes a habit.

I will be joined this month by Denise (themedalist; a long-time MFP member) who moderates the website we will be using for many of the daily challenges, Quitting the Sitting (http://quittingthesitting.com). Feel free to check it out, but many of the daily challenges will be using the website in depth, so you many not want to jump ahead too far. The cool thing about Quitting the Sitting is that it was inspired by a group of MFP friends who are profiled on the Movers and Shakers page (http://www.quittingthesitting.com/movers--shakers.html). People who used to sit a lot who have made progress in sitting less and moving more and are really glad they've become more active. If they did it, we can too!

Our main goal for this month is to help you find one way to sit less and have it be something you stick with long after the challenge is over. Something that's easy for you to do that you'll keep on doing. You may find multiple ways to sit less and move more and that's great, but identifying one thing to begin with is a great place to start.

Welcome to Movin' in May!!

Now! Onto the challenge!

What's the Problem with Sitting?

Today's Challenge:

What's the problem with sitting so much? Our first daily challenge explores this topic, so please spend a few minutes checking out the resources here: http://www.quittingthesitting.com/sitting-disease.html
Also please sign up on the website and select that you found it from this group. We are doing a statistics thing to see how many hours of sitting less this experimental event will accomplish! So please do that!

Alternative Challenge: Walk 20 additional minutes today. You can do it all at once or break it up into smaller chunks if you wish.

PS: The reason that there are multiple challenges listed is because I will not be home for a few days. My Grandmother contacted me and asked me to help spring clean her house. I can't say no to her! I will be doing the challenges as well but I don't know if I will be able to post online so I am posting them in advance. I will respond to you all when I get back! Also PLEASE DO THE APPROPRIATE DAY!....And don't mash them all into one day! Then you will run out of challenges! :(

Replies

• Auna37
    Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
    Sorry for spamming but i wanted to make sure you all had everything!
  • Chr1ssyH0ys
    Chr1ssyH0ys Posts: 56 Member
    I was very aware today of my steps and activity level so just over 13,000 steps
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Great job, Chrissy! Welcome, Everyone to Movin' in May! As Auna said, we are super excited about this challenge and really happy you've joined us! In the spirit of sitting less, let's all do today's challenge while standing up. No chairs required!
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    So far, I just watched the first two videos while walking in place in front of my computer screen. They are excellent and I learned some new things I hadn't realized before. I'll watch the other videos later today! (Standing, of course!)
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    To sign up, click on the "Act Now" tab on www.quittingthesitting.com.
  • themedalist
    Great job Diana! While people are welcome to sign-up now using the Act Now form, that is actually one of the upcoming challenges, so you might want to hold off for now (Unless you can't wait! :) )
  • idabentley
    idabentley Posts: 59 Member
    I not only walked into town and back but walked the other side of town to buy some raspberries and apples. On the way I met a colleague Marilyn, who I hadn't seen for some years. It was great to catch up and if I hadn't been conscious of this challenge I'd have bought the fruit my side of town. Walked over 15K steps so far! xx
  • fitnatic130
    fitnatic130 Posts: 53 Member
    Done! Walked for 20 minutes then another 40 carrying my 10 week old to keep him quiet lol.
  • Krishna_Veni
    Krishna_Veni Posts: 173 Member
    60mins walk done
  • Krishna_Veni
    Krishna_Veni Posts: 173 Member
    60mins walk done
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,369 Member
    Well 20 EXTRA minutes were a challenge to get in this morning since we are expecting high temps today. Good idea to watch the videos while standing/walking!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    I walked to my haircut appointment this afternoon and added 20 minutes to my normal routine. Will watch the videos tonight.
  • themedalist
    Great job Everyone!! I just posted this to MFP's Facebook page:

"Ground shaking yet? MyFitnessPal members are on the move and Movin in May with 31 days of chair ditching activities! Join Us! (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10151743/5-1-day-71-friday-movin-may-begins)

Ha! Take that, Sitting Disease!!! "
  • farbinkie
    farbinkie Posts: 8 Member
    I'm still down with this flu but was able to watch videos! Really incredible info.
  • lynnsh98
    lynnsh98 Posts: 11 Member
    I ran for 40 mins to today! Feeling amazing! Over 11,500 steps on my fitbit so far.
  • fadraface01
    fadraface01 Posts: 21 Member
    Ok so still not making it to the gym but I have begun walking the dog. Today we added two areas of my neighborhood increasing our walk time from 20 minutes to 40! Both of us were good and wore out and my 7 year old was ecstatic because she rode her bike with us while we walked! She's such an energetic kid so for mama to be out and about with her was a big deal!
  • themedalist
    Wow!! You all sure know how to kick off an event and get May Movin' for sure! I am very impressed...we've got a great group. Fadraface01, I loved your story...walking your dog is a great way to keep active but when you walk alongside your daughter as she rides her bike...it doesn't get any better than that! <3
  • nurselizrn
    nurselizrn Posts: 6 Member
    I have completed the challenge. I bought a Fitbit today as I was just recently given the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, today was my educational meeting with a dietitian and coach. I really sat down after work today and decided today was the day I really start making a difference in my life. I hope this keeps me motivated to complete my life transition! I am taking small steps at a time, as I don't want to do too much at once and cause a failure. :D
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,651 Member
    Added about 2500 more steps than usual today while shopping. I park farther away and don't try to avoid having to backtrack when shopping.
  • wendyn1998
    wendyn1998 Posts: 41 Member
    Walked all the stairs at work. Added about 2000 more steps to my regular routine.