5/2 Day 72 Saturday Movin May Day 2

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
Awareness of When and Why We Sit

Challenge: Awareness is the first step in reducing the time spent sitting, so today's challenge is to observe when and why you sit. Write it down (you might make notes in the notes section of your food diary). As you make notes, can you think of alternatives to sitting that would work for you?

Alternative Challenge:
Walk 10 mins and Jog 5 additional minutes today. You can do it all at once or break it up into smaller chunks if you wish.

Replies

• Krishna_Veni
    Krishna_Veni Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Walked for more one hour.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    When I first started paying attention to when and why I was sitting, it became clear that web surfing was a HUGE sitting activity for me. Moving my laptop to my kitchen island and doing my morning checkins with MFP there has helped a lot. Looking forward to hearing your observations!
  • Krishna_Veni
    Krishna_Veni Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Walked for more one hour.

I m walking to work and for shopping vth 4yr old instead of using any transport. Tried to move more in the classes when i m teaching. Todays challenge also finished. I m really motivated.
  • Chejan
    Chejan Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Walked to the gym today and did a Zumba class.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Great job, Krishna_Veni and Chejan on making it an active weekend! I can tell you are motivated. I hope everyone has a fun, but active weekend!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm adding an afternoon walk to my day. Jogging is too hard on my knees!
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Was on my feet all day yesterday,cooking for a family event.I also did some cleaning which unvolved hauling boxes up and down the stairs.Normally i would just have someone else do it for my but i used it as my means of movin.Plan on going for a long walk with my younger brother this evening.It is a few miles but i have done it before and i enjoy walking with him.He is 20 yrs old and in great shape but he walks at my pace and we talk and laugh the whole way so i am usually very tired but i have fun.So looking forward to that.
  • fadraface01
    fadraface01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest reasons I sit down is kinda gross
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I used to look for ways to sit at any opportunity. Such as folding laundry, going through the mail, putting on my makeup, etc. Now that I realize the benefits of standing and moving, new habits have developed! On my feet instead of my backside whenever possible!
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Wow, writing down all the time I sat today was an eye opener. Most of it was driving the kids around, but there might have been once we could have walked instead if we had enough time.

I walked over an hour today, played a bit with the kids at the playground, and jogged a very short distance, but I was happy to be able to without being completely out of breath!
  • themedalist
    Options
    If realize that people may find logging all their sitting for one day tedious and wonder whether it's that useful. But many of us who are or were overweight would have sworn we didn't eat that much...until we started tracking our food intake.

• wendyn1998
    wendyn1998 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work a swing shift and am on graveyards right now. My job requires me to monitor operations from a console of computers, so sitting is a lot of my job. However, I do have to make 3 rounds per shift to go outside and get readings and samples...I have been trying to add more steps in this time frame to break up the monotonous sitting.
  • lynnsh98
    lynnsh98 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I took notes today to see how much I sit in a day. I definitely sit too much. As a substitute teach there's only so much standing u can do with 5 hours of study hall. I am going to have to find new ways to stand throughout my day. I walked 2 miles today to get some exercise in. however I still need to find more ways to get up.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I sat while driving in the car. Obviously, LOL! Also, after a long strength training session I sat for over an hour watching HGTV. Was practically comatose. Other than eating meals I have been on my feet a lot. My sitting time tends to be in later afternoon/early evening.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,043 Member
    Options
    Surfing the web and watching TV are the big ones for me. I've been trying to surf less. Right now I'm grading a lot of papers, but I've been trying to be more inefficient. I purposely leave the stapler in another room so that I have to get up each time I staple the grade sheet to the student paper.
  • matott25
    matott25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Went shopping walked the isles when the hubby stopped to look at stuff. Then was at the butcher shop helping my father in law and didn't stand still. Walked with the kiddos after supper. This is one tired mamma!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Weekends are actually better for me because I seem to have more commitments then. I am very aware of needing to get moving more in the mornings. I just need to do it! Afternoons are my best time but I need to move more throughout the day.
  • idabentley
    idabentley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me lots of sitting relates to surfing the web, being with friends, eating and watching TV. To reduce one aspect of this I suggested that my friend and I walked to a shop 20 minutes away to get some olives. Sadly the ones I wanted had sold out! xx
  • JulieBrown16
    JulieBrown16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job, Krishna_Veni and Chejan on making it an active weekend! I can tell you are motivated. I hope everyone has a fun, but active weekend!

• MnMalecha
    MnMalecha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find myself sitting mostly with my kids. Ie to nurse, read a book, fold laundry, eat. Other than that I am up a lot chasing the munchkin. So I observed but also decided to walk more today. So we went to a street fair and walked from 9-3