Question about MFP security when not posting in this NS group.

Options
tobefitJen
tobefitJen Posts: 130 Member
I'm including a C&P of a conversation we started in my newsfeed.

tobefitJen
I just got a friend request from someone I don't think is from NS. No friends in common and their profile pic was of what looked to be the legs of someone with anorexia. Anyone else?
Like · Comment · 1 hour ago
hope4change_val, pattimelt7 and sznsido liked this.

sznsido that was me . hahahahaha!!!! not!!! no friends allowed outside ns! tell them to take their skinny little legs and take a hike! lol.
58 minutes ago · Unlike · 3 · Delete

tobefitJen LOL! It was kind of creepy...
53 minutes ago · Like · 2 · Delete

DorisSilver50 that is creepy!
48 minutes ago · Unlike · 2 · Delete

Shie1 Maybe they thought you were someone else. That is creepy though. My finger would hit the block button.
46 minutes ago · Unlike · 2 · Delete

Suziboston Jen.. I had a guy that kept trying to ask me some odd questions!! It was very creepy!! He said "Love Your Pic" then went on to ask dirty questions!! I put my boyfriend on & had him write to him!! He finally left me alone!! Lol!! This is not a dating website or a meat market!! Some people just don't get it!! Lol!! Creepsters!!!
46 minutes ago · Unlike · 2 · Delete

tobefitJen Oh my gosh, Suzi!!!! Now THAT is creepy!!!!!
44 minutes ago · Like · 2 · Delete
Suziboston I know!!! My boyfriend asked him questions back.. I think he creeped him out!!! Lol!!
43 minutes ago · Unlike · 2 · Delete

tobefitJen LOL!!! Ick, that makes my skin crawl.
42 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Delete

Suziboston He is probably watching our conversation right now!!! Get lost Creepo!!!!
42 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Delete

Shie1 This is where I will miss the NS site. It was definitely safer. Never heard of anything like this there.
41 minutes ago · Unlike · 2 · Delete

Suziboston Exactly P!! Never once had an issue on NS!!
41 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 · Delete

Shie1 I think only friends can see our conversation threads here...right? It is only in community where nonfriends can see your comments...right?
40 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Delete

tobefitJen You are right about that, P!!!
39 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Shie1 So we have to be very careful about who we friend.
38 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Delete

Suziboston Ok.. So this convo is read by us only??!!!
37 minutes ago · Like · Delete
tobefitJen I think so, P. I just made my profile only visible to friends too. Before it was visible to anyone on MFP although I didn't realize that. You can set it to where your profile is only visible to you too.
36 minutes ago · Like · Delete

pattimelt7 Sort of creepy sounding!
36 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Delete

tobefitJen Yes, I think I this convo is only visible to the people we friend. But does that mean that if say.. Suzi has a friend I don't have, they can see this convo? That's how it is on FB
34 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Delete

Suziboston That's what I'm thinking too Jen !
33 minutes ago · Like · Delete

sznsido suzi...he must know about your light activity! lol
25 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 · Delete

tobefitJen Ugh. I'm not sure I like that.
24 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Shie1 Ok I just changed my privacy setting as well to only my friends.
17 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 · Delete

Suziboston Suzanne.. It's impossible!! I don't log it anymore!! Lol!
16 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 · Delete
Shie1 I'm with you Jen. Now I understand why people are so upset about NS on Facebook. I'm not a Facebook person so didn't really understand until this very moment. Hmmmmm.....this isn't good. This isn't good at all.
22 minutes ago · Like · Delete

tobefitJen I only have NS friends on MFP so I'm not really sure if others we aren't friends with can see this or not. Maybe someone who has friends outside of NS here can tell us.
20 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Shie1 Just so you know, the only friends I have on here are NS friends...people I know were on the NS site...our NS blogging group.
20 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 · Delete

Suziboston I don't like FB either!! I want to be in a safe environment too!!
19 minutes ago · Like · Delete

tobefitJen I know the NS group is only NS people. Just not completely sure if one of our friends has a friend that we are not friends with, they will be able to see our activity through them. Does that even make sense?
13 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Suziboston My father is a retired police captain & he always told me to becareful of the Internet!!!! Lots of predators!! He has delt with this for 30 yrs as a police officer!! We just need to be aware of it & we will be fine!!!
12 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Shie1 Yes. I have 26 friends. I'm going to go look at who their friends are. Lol
Shie1 Yes. I have 26 friends. I'm going to go look at who their friends are. Lol

Suziboston Good idea P!!! Lol!
10 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Shie1 Hmmmm.....maybe we could have an NS pact not to friend non NS people due to security. This sounds like a NS community discussion item, except that non friends could see it. What a freaky conundrum!
9 minutes ago · Like · Delete

tobefitJen Wonder if I can copy this and take it over there? Going to try.
6 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Shie1 Good idea.
5 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Shie1 Was a good idea in concept Suzi, but not in application. I'd have to monitor my friends friends every minute of everyday...because we keep adding friends.
4 minutes ago · Like · Delete

Suziboston Oh that's right!! I would be a continual issue!!

Replies

• rlhealey
    rlhealey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Please do not hesitate to pm me if you know of a group member who is acting inappropriately. I will promptly block them from the group page.
  • kdubskwags
    kdubskwags Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyone should heed Randy's advice and immediately notify him. I am a law enforcement officer who works in the cyber security field (particularly the Facebook type stalkers). It is up to us to keep this site free of these surfers. As the site grows, this becomes more paramount.
  • 61andHealthyMFP
    61andHealthyMFP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and letting us know. I will be aware of this possibility now, and will let Randy know immediately if I see anything similar. I respect this group, and don't want any negative goings on. I think on the NS group homepage, we can click on members and see who has joined. I'm sorry you had to deal with this, but thanks again for making us the wiser. Have a great day-
  • 61andHealthyMFP
    61andHealthyMFP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just another thought- I went back to and reread the Community Guidelines and the Terms ( at the bottom of the page) to remind myself of something that I read under #3 in Community Guidelines, and under Objectionable Content and Prohibited Uses in Terms. They may be worth checking out.
  • tobefitJen
    tobefitJen Posts: 130 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rlhealey wrote: »
    Please do not hesitate to pm me if you know of a group member who is acting inappropriately. I will promptly block them from the group page.

I absolutely will. Thank you!

I'm pretty sure this person is not from this group. We were just wondering who all can see our posts when we are just posting on our own page (which shows up on the newsfeed) and not in this group. Like on Facebook if you post something, any of your friends can see and then if they comment on it, any of their friends can see it, unless you take precautions. Do any of you know if MFP is like that?

kdubskwags wrote: »
    Everyone should heed Randy's advice and immediately notify him. I am a law enforcement officer who works in the cyber security field (particularly the Facebook type stalkers). It is up to us to keep this site free of these surfers. As the site grows, this becomes more paramount.

Thanks for that extra warning and glad someone with your experience in that is here!

Just another thought- I went back to and reread the Community Guidelines and the Terms ( at the bottom of the page) to remind myself of something that I read under #3 in Community Guidelines, and under Objectionable Content and Prohibited Uses in Terms. They may be worth checking out.

Thanks! I'll check that out!
  • SuziBoston
    SuziBoston Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Ok!! Thank you Randy!!! That makes me feel much safer!!
  • garnetbutterfly131
    garnetbutterfly131 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a problem logging in yesterday after getting a private message that turned out to be a virus. I was skeptical to return here. I don't know what to do. I scanned my computer and took care of the issue, but it's a bit scary. One of the problems is that some people don't have the same user name here that they did on the NS site. I'm just going to stay away from private messages for now.
  • shedthesweater
    shedthesweater Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information great to see