Introduction, would love any help!

Options
Korhurd05
Korhurd05 Posts: 4 Member
After a few doctors blew me off, i finally got a good doctor and diagnosed with with PCOS. We have been trying to get pregnant since i went of fbc in April 2009. Since going off bc i hardly ever have a period and have gained weight like crazy. I dont eat meat and have cut out almost all dairy (by choice). Im meeting with a nutritionalist, working out and following a low calorie diet but still not seeing any results. On top of it all, I've been put on metformin which is making everything harder. Makes me crave sugar which i never have before. It also makes me insanely thirsty and extremely tired which makes working out very difficult. I did a month of keeping calories under 1300 which seemed like too many calories for me (5'7" 250lbs)and only lost half a pound. I think i need fewer calories but the nutritionalist says im not losing weight because im not eating enough and should increase to 1600. This really scares me. I would love any help and suggestions i can get.

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi hon,

I would recommend eating more. Look into these two groups - I am friends with the guys who run the groups and they are both fabulous. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13906-fat-loss-tactics
    Reading those should give you a good idea of how not eating enough can mess up your metabolism.
    I've been eating around 2000 calories for the past year, I work out three times a week (a half hour weight lifting and a half hour cardio each of those days), and I'm five weeks pregnant with my second!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree with your nutritionist. I'm 5'3", 150ish lbs and I eat about 1500 calories a day, if I don't exercise, more if I do. And I've lost 26 pounds since I started this.

I eat low carb, no added sugar, high protein and high(ish) fat.

I don't know if your not eating meat is a health decision or a moral one, but if you are not going to eat meat, you really need to find another way to get your protein up. With PCOS, that will give you best chance of losing weight.

Keep at it :) You will find something that works for you.
  • Korhurd05
    Korhurd05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I did research into it and I understand the not eating enough thing now. I think my biggest problem is that im not being active enough so metabolism has slowed. Hopefully being more active and eating more will get my metabolism going again. Also looking into how i can add more protein to my day. Thanks again!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track!