She's Finally Here

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
Well it's only been a little over two months of waiting but my new beauty has arrived. Old Green has been relegated to the dust heap (literally the crank is falling apart) and supplanted by what I am calling my Tangerine dream. My beautiful 2015 Surly Cross Check. Fittingly the chain stay arm says FFF Fatties Fit Fine, it doesn't know how true that statement it.

mp0tgjwvrnv3.jpg

I have been waiting for a new bike for such a long time and it took way longer to get my hands on this one then I had hoped for but I finely picked her up Friday night just across from Stanford University. These past two months have been hard getting exercise in between work, my anxiety from waiting and my old bike slowly falling part.

I've missed several rides I wanted to do but now I am back to full speed, and just as soon as I change out the god awful saddle I will be pushing myself to go farther. I'm just so happy!!! I have a metric century ride or two I want to do but I think it's time to start dreaming a little bigger. I want to start training to complete a Century ride (100 miles) and then onto a longer multi-day tour like the Climate Ride (http://www.climateride.org/events/california-coast).

We had a wonderful day down to the Farmers Market for some fresh peaches... and whatever was in that wrapper. I'll take most of tomorrow off to do a much longer ride and get to grips on the new bike. It's so different from what I am use to but I am loving it.

wzfo3jys7fte.jpg

I was talking with Cat in the news feed after I got the bike home and she reminded me how not long ago I didn't even know If i was going to be comfortable getting on a bike for exercise. At that point walking was my only workout. I'm not even a year into bike riding and it's amazing to think how far I have come. I got back on the bike for my first officially ride on June 16th, 2014, I was 295.8lbs then and as of today I'm 211. I still have a month to go before one full year in the saddle but I wanted to post some of my stats:

Count: 159
Distance: 1929.59 miles
Ride Time: 160:32:29
Calories: 129018 (with a heavy dash of skepticism)

60 miles away from my 2000 mile. I know it's not a huge amount for a lot of people but for someone who only started 11 months ago I'm pretty happy. :)

Now excuse me, I have to go ride this bike for two years to pay off it's equivalent in gym memberships.

Replies

• wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    She is beautiful! Those are some impressive numbers. I have no doubt you will be able to do those longer rides with no problems...except the saddle. I will never understand why any one would want to ride with those. I love my tailbone seats on both my bikes. There is no feeling quite like riding a brand new bike.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Wow, Patrick. That is so awesome! And you probably burned off the calories riding down to the Farmer's Market for whatever was in that wrapper. ;) LOL I look forward to your year mark, as well as your training for the Century ride. You've done amazing progress in that time, and developed the love of a lifetime! :)
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Wowza... The bike looks amazing and your stats are just terrific.