Question! (In regards to driving while wearing fitbit)

Options
Jaegur
Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
Hello all! I drive a truck as a profession, and have stayed away from activity trackers in the past because they all seem to count steps while I'm driving. Like, I have a Pebble (smartwatch) and thought I'd try the pedometer on that yesterday. Within about 20 seconds of sitting there driving I logged about 100 steps, lol.

Will the fitbit only count when I'm actually walking? Or will my ten hour drive give me about two million steps?

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Fitbit can also logged steps during drive time, train rides, etc. Best to remove whatever activity tracker you use while doing those things.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR. It does count a few steps when I'm driving. I don't drive a lot, so I haven't worried about characterizing it, but for me it seems to mostly count steps when I'm starting and/or stopping, not while I'm driving at a relatively constant speed on the highway. However, that's in a regular passenger car. So, it might be different in a big truck.

I do know that there are ways of telling it when you are/were driving so it won't count steps, but I haven't investigated how. I think that one way is just entering an activity record of "driving" but I think I've also seen someone mention an app that can be used. (I just found it, it's called DriveBit and it apparently makes logging the driving activity easier.)
  • Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I figured there must be something to fix that issue by now, haha. Thanks guys =)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Fitbit can also logged steps during drive time, train rides, etc. Best to remove whatever activity tracker you use while doing those things.

Or
    Down load the Drive Bit app.

It converts any steps/floors etc into a "driving activity" in the activity log.
  • herbodyblog
    herbodyblog Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I took the train this weekend and my FitBit counted a couple hundred steps. I can't imagine why that happens. I should check out th DriveBit app before my next trip!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I took the train this weekend and my FitBit counted a couple hundred steps. I can't imagine why that happens. I should check out th DriveBit app before my next trip!

One of the settings is that you can be a "passenger" too instead of the driver.
    You can pick from passenger vehicles, professional vehicles, trains, boats ...