Fitbit Surge for cycling

Options
SajidAust
SajidAust Posts: 3 Member
I have ordered Fitbit Surge and hopefully will get it by 15th of May. Really excited!!!! hope it will blow my mind :smile: . just a friendly question, is it good for cycling? reading the reviews, i can understand that it is GREAT for running. But how about cycling?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    All Fitbits track step-based activity. Non-step exercise (like cycling or swimming) must be logged either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both.

It will take trial & error to find which you prefer.
  • klasla
    klasla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Surge is actually quite ok for cycling with the latest update. The last update has added a cycling mode to the watch, which enables GPS tracking among other things. You will have to experiment where on your wrist/arm you can find a good HR measurement during cycling though as the suggested location doesn't work very well, since you are flexing certain tendons/muscles when you grip your handlebar. I have found that putting on the underside of my arm and a few inches from the wrist is the best place for cycling.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What do you want it to be good at for cycling?
    Cadence, calories, distance, current speed, max speed, ect?
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    i just order mine too!! I hope I can get the cycling mode as well!! I love riding my bike!
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Is anybody using the cycling update? How is it working?
  • jbrown2339
    jbrown2339 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Is the cycling update only for surge? I have the charge he, and am using the GPS tracking on the app (which uses my phone to link to GPS) and it seems to work OK. Any differences in that and what surge does? I thought the surge just used it's own internal GPS
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-track-my-bike-rides-and-spin-classes-with-Surge
    Beginning with the 16.31.5.8 firmware release for Fitbit Surge, Bike joins the many other options on the Surge exercise menu including Spinning, Hiking, Yoga, and more. Track a bike ride with your Surge and see summary stats afterward including elapsed time, distance, average speed, average heart rate, and calories burned.
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    it has biking on surge now!! Not bad and the Gps is good too!