Missed 2 SL workouts due to travel. Now what?

Options
dcresider
dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
Hi all. I was away from Friday through Monday and could not get to a gym. I'd like to start back up tomorrow, Wednesday. At weight should I re-start since I've missed two workouts?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    here's what i focus on. "the heaviest weight you can lift for five reps of five sets without losing good form." i find that much easier and more accurate than fretting too much about finding some specific number that someone's prescribed for me by doing math.

the way to find what that weight is for me is to do warmup sets with the bar, and then start adding weight. the ability to judge whether or not you'll be able to manage the next increment comes with time, i suppose. but in the meantime, or if i'm not sure about it, i do the increment, see how it feels, and back down if it feels like too much. basically, i pay close attention to only one question: could i do four more sets at this weight? and proceed from there.
  • dcresider
    Options
    I'm on week 8 but know will definitely have to lighten up a little, so will start with some warm up sets first. Thanks for the info.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I only do a real de-load if I've missed at least a week and even then I play it by ear instead of doing the full -10% or whatever loss. I haven't lifted since Thursday but I can probably still handle the weights I was doing today when I get to the gym. But do listen to @canadianlbs and see how you feel while warming up.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    This is a useful thread because I am resting for 2 weeks from a shoulder injury. When I start again I plan to deload everything by 10%.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I think I've mentioned it before, but I think deloads are really personal for everyone. Some can take a week or two off and come back where they left off. Others need to do a 10% (give or take) deload if they've missed just a day or two.

For me, I can usually pick up where I left off on my squats, rows, and OHP as long as I don't miss more than 2 weeks. I usually need to drop down about 10% on my deads and bench press. I am usually pretty sore after that first workout, but I'm able to successfully complete it.

I would say do your warm-ups and gauge how you feel from there. If you feel strong, try to pick up where you left off. If you feel fatigued or like the warm-ups are heavy, I would take a deload and work back up. No harm done either way :smile:
  • dcresider
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I'm excited to get back to strength training.