What are you doing to reach your health/fitness goals?

Options
tru2one
tru2one Posts: 298 Member
Looks like the group is gaining a few members! :-) So, I'm curious...what is everyone doing in pursuit of their health and wellness goals? I've been a low-carb advocate for years, but have recently learned some "tweaks" to the way of eating that are working really well to keep me motivated, focused, and on track. I also finally got myself an amazing dog (MY dog...not my kid's, not my boyfriend's...all mine! lol) and I'm committed to getting her the daily activity she needs, which of course requires me to move my fat butt as well. ;-)

I re-committed to my lifestyle changes on April 25th of this year. I'd like to reach my goal of 66+ pounds gone by that date next year. Sooner would be nice, but slow and steady wins, right? :-)

So for me:

Low carb, high fat, moderate protein way of eating
At least 20 minutes of moderate physical activity, 5 days per week (usually a bit more, but that's the minimum)
Daily check-ins on MFP

And...you??? :-)

Replies

• indigonuit
    indigonuit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    wow, sounds like you are really on your way of achieving your goal! Great job!

I'm fortunate because I only have about ten pounds to lose (although isn't it what they say, the last ten is the hardest?)...but I also have a lot of toning to do. Other than keeping a food journal and slightly lowering my daily calorie intake, I'm trying to slowly get more exercise in. Which tbh is kinda hard, because I suffered a shoulder injury about six months ago during an intense workout, and haven't exercised since. So on one hand I'm still wary about reinjury and is probably taking it easier than I should....on the other hand I'm out of shape and really want to tone up fast.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Well I am try to keep after my juggling practice. I am try to avoid the soda and most importantly I am getting in to lifting heavy weights.
  • dekutree
    dekutree Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Glad everyone has a plan! :) Apologies for the following, it all got a bit rambling...

In the past I've had weight loss success with the diet club Slimming World. About three and a half years ago I was at my lightest adult weight - still with a fair amount to lose - but got a bit bored of Slimming World and decided to try it alone. I gradually put it back on until I ended up at my heaviest adult weight.

The last year or two I've had a lot of false starts getting back on board. I tried going back to Slimming World, but these days I'm far too cynical for all that happy-clappy, product-pushing stuff. I was aware that my eating is a lot to do with my moods, and I was interested in trying some kind of CBT or other therapy to try and break some habits.

It turned out that there's an NHS thing here in Oxford which actually offers a 12-week course in nutrition and CBT, so I went on it, and it was brilliant. It's really the sort of stuff that everyone should have to learn at school. It was unbiased, un-faddy, and non-judgmental, just presenting the current - researched - views on health. Having only done Slimming World before, this was very odd, because at no point were we given 'the diet', so to speak.

I enjoyed the learning, but I wasn't in the right headspace still. Then I broke up with my partner in April, and May was absolutely full with working on a show in another city and then a family wedding - not a good time to start taking control, as I was all over the place (literally).

So last week I finally set off, and I can tell you I have not felt this motivated and in control of my eating for years. It was like a switch in my head. It's only been ten days, but it's been an absolutely TRUE ten days, and it's been a long time since I've managed that.

SO ANYWAY... The short answer to the original question includes:

1) Sticking to the recommended calories/fat intake.
    2) Following various other nutrition advice given as far as possible (such as filling half plate with veg, quarter protein, quarter carbs; opting for lower GI stuff; etc.)
    3) Cooking more.
    4) The CBT side of it, such as mindful eating, planning, and addressing negative thoughts (I was recommended The Beck Diet book to help with this so am using that also).
    5) Gradually build up my exercise - just walking more to start with. Eventually I'd like to start jogging again (a few years ago I ran a 5k race! Now I can't jog for 30 seconds).

Like tru2one I am just hoping for a slow but consistent loss. It needs to be a lifestyle change rather than a diet. December 2014 is my 30th birthday, so that's my eventual goal. I have 70+ lb to lose, but I try not to think about that as I know what a long slog it is. One day at a time...
  • MartySG
    MartySG Posts: 8
    Options
    I finally decided to hire a personal trainer, following the advice of a friend who did the same. I'm in my third week and I've lost a few pounds, but more than that I'm sleeping (finally! haven't been much since my mother died in January), my pants are looser (still not loose, but not as tight) and I feel more in control emotionally. I work out with him 3 times per week for 45 minutes, and I'm supposed to be doing cardio on my own 6 days a week. So far I've managed 4 times per week, but I count a gig (which I've been lucky enough to have once per week since May) as cardio. My trainer does not! Ha...

He's given me a meal plan to follow, which I'm not the greatest at doing since I absolutely hate to cook, but I'm doing better spacing out smaller meals four to five times per day instead of waiting until one in the afternoon to eat my first meal, which we all know is a metabolism killer. I'm starting to actually feel hungry every three hours, which is a good thing. My husband is at least trying to eat like me, even if he's not working out, so that helps. In the band I hang out with guys; at work I'm in my office in my house. I don't have a ton of girlfriends to help with encouragement here in the new place, but it seems MFP will help with that. I've got at least 30 pounds to lose, but I feel well on my way.
  • tru2one
    Options
    So on one hand I'm still wary about reinjury and is probably taking it easier than I should....on the other hand I'm out of shape and really want to tone up fast.

Baby steps, right? Start w/ some lower body stuff until you feel motivated enough to incorporate things that involve your shoulder again. I totally relate to the injury thing...I used to do Curves (which I loved until they shut down my location), and ended up with a "tennis elbow" kind of injury that completely derailed me for a couple months. For now I'm okay with just MOVING every day...once I've got that nailed I'd like to start up with strength training again.
  • tru2one
    Options
    Well I am try to keep after my juggling practice. I am try to avoid the soda and most importantly I am getting in to lifting heavy weights.

Would love to hear more about how the lifting goes for you. That is next on my "to do" list. :-)
  • tru2one
    Options
    1) Sticking to the recommended calories/fat intake.
    2) Following various other nutrition advice given as far as possible (such as filling half plate with veg, quarter protein, quarter carbs; opting for lower GI stuff; etc.)
    3) Cooking more.
    4) The CBT side of it, such as mindful eating, planning, and addressing negative thoughts (I was recommended The Beck Diet book to help with this so am using that also).
    5) Gradually build up my exercise - just walking more to start with. Eventually I'd like to start jogging again (a few years ago I ran a 5k race! Now I can't jog for 30 seconds).

Great post! It sounds like you're in really good place and your plan is SOLID. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Regarding the 5k...have you done (or heard of) Couch25k by any chance? I've heard from a few who have done it and they all rave about how well it works.
  • tru2one
    Options
    I finally decided to hire a personal trainer,

but I count a gig (which I've been lucky enough to have once per week since May) as cardio. My trainer does not! Ha...

He's given me a meal plan to follow, which I'm not the greatest at doing

I don't have a ton of girlfriends to help with encouragement here in the new place, but it seems MFP will help with that.

Bravo on the trainer. I think just having to be accountable to another human being in that way would be so helpful. But I would also disagree with not counting a gig as cardio...has your trainer ever seen what's involved??? lol I used to sing with a 4 piece classic rock cover band, and between hauling gear, set up and tear down, and doing 3-4 sets on stage twice a week I can personally attest to that being some of the best cardio I've EVER done! ;-)

Curious about the food plan that your trainer recommends...can you share?

As far as girlfriends go, feel free to "friend" me...we can never have too much support and I love the idea of expanding my circle with fellow performers.

And that goes for any other group members here as well, btw. :-)
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Would love to hear more about how the lifting goes for you. That is next on my "to do" list. :-)

Based on what I have accomplished so far I would highly recommend you start and the sooner the better. I have basically been following the advise of the MFP user Matt_Wild he gives really good advice and he never backs it up with you just to believe in it for it to work. It is all pretty scientific actually.

Since I have started lifting I have started ignoring the number on the scale since it seems to just change to whatever it wants to be. I plan to start using progress pictures instead of my weight as my primary rubric.
  • dekutree
    dekutree Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I re-committed to my lifestyle changes on April 25th of this year.

I really love this wording, it's so positive! :D
  • lydian8
    lydian8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've started by refusing to call this my diet. This is my way of life. If I call it a diet, it sort of denotes that it will end at some point. My food may have to change, but this is my way of life now.

What I do:

Stay within my calorie goal.
    Exercise 3 or more times a week (soon I'll be adding weights back in once we move into our new house)
    Eat more fruit and vegetables.
    Cook way more often.
    Pack snacks like buy a big bag of plain almonds and put them in 1oz baggies.
    Plan for disasters like when I get together with my in laws (often), there is so much food and a lot of it I just can't eat, so I pack a cliff bar in my purse. It's not the best calories, but it's heavy protien and fiber and is barely noticable.

So far, it's working pretty good.

Lenore
  • bookdeity
    bookdeity Posts: 37
    Options
    I recently decided that I needed to lose the weight I've put on slowly since I stopped bellydancing (for fun, I taught and did troupe shows but I wasn't a restaurant dancer or anything). This kind of coincided with my realized I needed to get back into performing. I used to to musical theatre, sing, etc. So a couple weeks ago I ended up getting cast in a show that opens in Sept. However, now that lends even more motivation to lose some weight before I end up on stage in front pf people. :P Plus, I need to have new headshots done and I don't want that dreaded double chin!
    So my plan is to watch calories and I'm trying some exercise DVD's at first which are kind of dance based since I find the gym just boring as hell. We'll see how it goes!
  • castleann
    castleann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi From New Zealand
    I Play in a brass Band (Baritone) :)
    As you can see I am also live with multiple disabilities
    My weight is not good at the moment (100kgs) :'(
    I am aiming to lose at least half.
    If I can lose the weight safety issues will be less for me and for my Band friends ;)

• PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Getting back to eating what I should be eating. And making sure that I record it on here. I find if I don't record it, I don't do as well as I could.
  • mollylayton
    mollylayton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Recording whatever I eat, going to the gym more frequently, and logging on MFP every day.