Anyone use the MapMyRide app for recording rides? Are you having GPS problems?

Options
m1xm0d3
m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
This is the service I've been using for the past 3 years and over the past month it's been dropping and losing signal. Since yesterday afternoon it's basically sharted the bed and won't locate. This was during a cloudless sky yesterday... the odd part is on the map, it shows my general area but won't pinpoint.
I'm beyond irritated at their service but I have 3 years & almost 400 workouts invested there with no way to export to another company like Strava or Runtastic. >_<

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Nah, Garmin & Strava here ;)
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »

So do you use the Garmin to record the ride, then sync it with Strava to log the ride? $$$ is a bit stretched so I only have my phone to use as a recording device. Last I checked it seemed like the GPS devices for cycling were all like $200>
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    locked in data, no export, that's worrying. Especially for people using a UnderArmour fitness application like... oh... wait a minute...

We're all dooomed, DOOOMED I TELL YOU....

(Garmin for the logging, Strava/Training Peaks/GoldenCheetah for the analysis here...)
  • david2joh
    david2joh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This might be a bit circuitous but could you put MapMyRide workouts into the calendar then sync to Google calendar?
    (Use a disposable username).
    From there you can export the rides to google drive and from there go to Google's MyTracks (free app) or Strava.
    Otherwise I believe you are stuck with signing up for a premium MapMyRide account
    to export. Hopefully someone else can elucidate a free solution.

I use my phone as well for a GPS ride tracker and MyTracks plays nice with Strava. I believe the Strava
    mobile app also can serve as a GPS ride tracker if memory serves me correctly.
    Sheer inertia keeps me using MyTracks , and after much effort I can load my routes into my trainer.
    PLUS Google earth allows me to "fly" my routes !
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Strava has a decent phone app and should work with the gps turned on for your phone to map your ride for you.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm just like TBY: Garmin for logging (Edge 510 or Fenix 3, depending) then Strava/Training Peaks/Golden Cheetah for social, archive and analysis.

That said, I agree with @wildtxn. If you're limited to a phone only go with Strava. Or, alternatively, the Wahoo Fitness app. The newest version of that is pretty good.

Actually, upon further reflection, I think I'd probably recommend the Wahoo app as first choice. That'll give you the most flexibility since it will then easily allow export to Strava, Garmin Connect, Training Peaks, MyMyFitness, etc.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. I had Strava at one time a few years back but at the time MMR was reliable so the extra app was redundant. I'll do some more research once I get home today.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun (I have a Windows phone, it's the same app, all connected to MapMyRide) and I have been having some odd issues with it recently. I used it for a walk a few days ago and it decided to lose signal MULTIPLE times. When I lose signal it immediately jumps back to my home poistion and then acts as if I ran all the way to where I am now. It did that a few times.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    OK so 2 apps and nearly 24 hours later, apparently I had accidentally put my phone in airplane mode without realizing. #majorderp
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few app (MapMyRide, Endomondo, and a few others) and MapMyRide was he most disappointing app I've ever used.

I now use RideWithGPS because I'm going into touring and it is hands down the best app for route planning and navigating. It can also sync with Wahoo RFLKT cycle computers which will beep and give you directions while you ride.

The only tools comparable to that is the Garmin Edge Touring, 810, or 1000. At $130 for the RFLKT, it's a damn good price.

I don't know about the social aspect. It does have 'friends' but I don't imagine it's quite like Strava.

It's also not a performance-based app. It does give you data, but it's no comparison to Strava for data analysis. It's meant more for the casual and touring cyclist.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    cloggsy71 wrote: »

So do you use the Garmin to record the ride, then sync it with Strava to log the ride? $$$ is a bit stretched so I only have my phone to use as a recording device. Last I checked it seemed like the GPS devices for cycling were all like $200>

Before my Garmin, I used to use the 'Cyclemeter' app, then I switched to using the 'Strava' app. Both very good in lieu of a Garmin. I just got fed up of the battery limiting my rides TBH.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    OK so 2 apps and nearly 24 hours later, apparently I had accidentally put my phone in airplane mode without realizing. #majorderp

Sounds about right, especially if the app has been working happily for a good while, the apps will use the general map api, a good way to tell next time is try opening another map based app and see if it behaves in the same way.

BTW Strava with Garmin is the daddy albeit a costly one, apart from that the Strava app is pretty good, Mapmyride is by far the best course designer especially with larger routing.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few app (MapMyRide, Endomondo, and a few others) and MapMyRide was he most disappointing app I've ever used.

I now use RideWithGPS because I'm going into touring and it is hands down the best app for route planning and navigating. It can also sync with Wahoo RFLKT cycle computers which will beep and give you directions while you ride.

The only tools comparable to that is the Garmin Edge Touring, 810, or 1000. At $130 for the RFLKT, it's a damn good price.

I don't know about the social aspect. It does have 'friends' but I don't imagine it's quite like Strava.

It's also not a performance-based app. It does give you data, but it's no comparison to Strava for data analysis. It's meant more for the casual and touring cyclist.

I'd disagree that is't for the casual touring cyclist. I also use ridewithgps and I can get distance, elevation, cadence, heart rate, speed....not sure what else you'd need. It won't compare you to anyone else, so if that's what you're interested in then I'd agree that Strava is the way to go.

I also like RideWithGPS because I can plan a route ahead of time and load it into my Garmin.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    Mapmyride is by far the best course designer especially with larger routing.

It's pretty good - I managed to map out the entire route of the 2015 Giro D'Italia in around 5 hours...

• chivalryder
    edited May 2015
    Options
    thekarens wrote: »

I'd disagree that is't for the casual touring cyclist. I also use ridewithgps and I can get distance, elevation, cadence, heart rate, speed....not sure what else you'd need. It won't compare you to anyone else, so if that's what you're interested in then I'd agree that Strava is the way to go.

I also like RideWithGPS because I can plan a route ahead of time and load it into my Garmin.

It does, but it doesn't have all the extra fancy features Strava has like segments, power data, bike maintenance scheduling, goals, training plans, etc.

SO sure, RWGPS can be used by anyone, but if I were a competitive athlete or someone who is performance-minded, rather than "I want to go out and just enjoy my ride" minded, I'd be using Strava.

ETA: That being said, I personally feel RWGPS is better for the casual cyclist, or someone who uses cyclist for transport/as their lifestyle.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Phone battery life while using GPS would be a non starter for me as I do many rides in the 5-8 hr range. Like many I use a Garmin to gather and disseminate the data and Strava to view and assess performance/training. For route planning I prefer RidewithGPS to mapmyride but they are pretty similar.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The app simply uses the GPS in your phone. I would suspect a problem with the phone, not the app.

Try a different free app and determine if the phone is the problem.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    veloman21 wrote: »
    Phone battery life while using GPS would be a non starter for me as I do many rides in the 5-8 hr range. Like many I use a Garmin to gather and disseminate the data and Strava to view and assess performance/training. For route planning I prefer RidewithGPS to mapmyride but they are pretty similar.

I believe your phone *might* last that long from a full charge, as long as you leave the screen off.

If you wanted any data during the ride, then yeah, phone will be out.

One option is to install a dyno hub on your front wheel and use that to power your phone. :tongue:
  • chivalryder
    Options
    The app simply uses the GPS in your phone. I would suspect a problem with the phone, not the app.

Try a different free app and determine if the phone is the problem.

I did this with MMR and found that other apps were significantly more accurate at recording GPS location data than MMR. It was the app, not my phone.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I use Garmin and Strava for logging rides. I prefer ridewithgps for designing a route.