strength training

veganbettie
veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
how do you fit in strength training with your running?

I want to start a bodyweight training program but I'm currently training for a half.....Any suggestions?

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I do a 5x5 heavy lifting program. I was doing 3 days a week before I moved up to 1/2 marathon distances, but when my mileage starting getting up there, I had to move to 2 to make enough time for recovery and training. This is what my schedule looked like when I training for my 1/2:

Mon: Short easy run (3-4 miles) + lifting.
    Tue: Trail running/hills for an hour.
    Wed: Intervals or a race pace run this day, about 7 miles total.
    Th: Short easy run (3-4 miles) + lifting.
    Fri: Rest or easy run/walk.
    Sat: 4-5 mile race pace run, 7 miles total with warm up/cool down.
    Sun: Long run
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    You can either focus on one or the other. You can do both, but if you are doing heavy lifting it is not very wise to also be putting in lots of miles. On the flip side if you are training for distance you shouldn't be doing strenuous days with weights. You will sap your strength.

I include YAYOG bodyweight training with my half marathon training with no problems since about February. In fact it has helped me in quite a number of ways with running. The YAYOG routines are only about 30-40 minutes each session, and only 3-4 days per week. I like to do them the same day as my shorter runs, doing one in the morning and the other later in the day. I never do these routines on a long run day, and I make sure I still have rest days because both the half marathon plans have rest days, and so does the YAYOG routines. Rest is important for both.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    If you want to do body weight training, you could start now if you wanted to. I'm not very good about it, but I find that my running improves/feels more coordinated when I spend 10-15 minutes a couple times a week doing body weight exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. I've added glute bridges and a few other strength moves as well in the last couple weeks. I never find bw training to be so tiring that it affects my running, but I also don't do huge, strenuous sessions -- just enough to keep things aligned & activated.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    For bodyweight I'd go with YAYOG as well. The app is easy to use, and it's easy to work into a session. Haven't done for a while bu I used to warm up with 5K to the local park, do a session then run home again which made for a good session.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I have done programs like P90X and NROLFW while running under 30 mpw, but once my mileage gets up over that, it becomes very hard to stick to a regular strength training program. However, I do believe that some level of strength training is essential for runners, especially as you get older. Sometimes for me that is just regular yoga, pilates and core strengthening exercises. I just try to fit it in where ever I can. In a nut shell, I agree with what has already been said. You have to decide if you want to focus on becoming a better runner and supplement your running with strength training or if you want to focus on lifting and keep your mileage manageable, but maybe not progress as fast as a runner.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Great thank you guys!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    I am following the Higdon marathon novice 1 progam at the moment, running 4 days a week. I use the Friday rest day and the Sunday cross train day to do some weight training. I circuit train using a modified SL5x5 program where I do other lifting sets instead of resting between the SL sets. I also reduce my SL weight levels about every 6 to 8 weeks as I am not trying to lift heavy. I have found this to be very beneficial to my running (particularly the weighted squats).
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    I did the Men's Health Spartacus 1.0 and 2.0 workouts (available for free as PDFs online) when getting ready for my first set of triathlons, I continued to do them in my second season of triathlon training. Since then I've moved to Olympic weightlifting because I like heavy things over my head (sense of danger maybe?). But I still highly recommend Spartacus for burning calories, building strength, and building endurance.