Thanks for joining! I'd love to know more! :)

Options
JalynRose1
JalynRose1 Posts: 30 Member
Who are you? Where are you from? What do you love? What are your goals?!

Replies

• JalynRose1
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I will start us off! My name is Jalyn and I live in Detroit, Michigan. I loooove animals and have 3 dogs named Cooper, Abs & Walt. My goal is to lose about 25lbs and to get super healthy! My husband and I would like to try for children soon and I want to be as healthy as possible when I get pregnant. I hope that's not TMI!

c7545im7o3mk.jpg
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ho7ewnndpzsh.jpg
    Thanks for the invite! I'm Heather and I live in Los Angeles Ca. These are my babies. I have about 80lbs to lose. On my first go around with myfitnesspal I lost 93lbs. I gained a bit back but I'm ready to tackle it again and learn that when I have emotional issues happening I don't have to resort to food to feel better. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for over 2yrs now and my doctor asked me to give up Carbs and any type of sugar besides the sugar and carbs you get from natural foods. It's been a challenge but I feel so much better already!
  • JalynRose1
    Options
    Hi Heather, so glad you joined! I hope you will the group a useful tool and supportive community! Your puppies are adorable! Good luck to you with your goals. I had a friend in a similar situation. She was trying to conceive for about a year and half and it was until she saw a naturopath that suggested specific diet omissions that she finally got pregnant. I know you can do it!
  • Rosey2482
    Rosey2482 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Leigha and I'm from southern New Hampshire. I have two cute little kitties named Kip and Ollie that are like my children (crazy cat lady). I have had a mostly vegan diet for about 10 months now. I do consume eggs from my neighbor's house where I can see the happy chickens roaming around :) I do think it's a health benefit because it's the only natural B-12 in my diet aside from my supplement.

I am getting married at the end of August and want to lose about 15lbs ASAP. My problem is, and always has been, my lack of exercise. I sit at a desk 8+ hours a day, have an hour commute both ways and feel exhausted by the time I get all my daily chores done at home. I also really enjoy lounging about so I can't blame anyone but myself! My diet is pretty good for the most part but I'm back here to start tracking again to make sure I stay on track. If anyone has any advice for weight loss I would love to hear. I have a dress fitting at the end of this month so it's getting real and I need to start taking charge!
  • JalynRose1
    Options
    Hi Leigha! I love the spelling of your name. :) I wish I had happy hens nearby to get eggs from! I have a similar lifestyle to you so I know the feeling of exhaustion in the evenings. After work and after I take care of the animals, prepare meals and do whatever else needs to be done, I'm ready for some R&R! I have been fitting in yoga once or twice a week, but I would like to start going 2-3 times a week. I also eat pretty healthy for the most part, but my portions are off and I sometimes binge on carbs. MFP is helping me get back on track and regain some control. Next week I'm starting the weekly meal plan from Lindsay Nixon, of Happy Herbivore which is vegan. She provides recipes for each week, a prep list, shopping list and everything you need to have a healthy week except the groceries! You are supposed to be able to cook the entire weeks meals in 2-4 hours. She does it in an hour, but she has crazy knife skills. Anyway, if you're interested let me know and I'll send you the link! Good luck to you on taking charge! You got this!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My name is Andrea and I do have fur babies, but i also have a 3 year old and just turned 1 year old. After my 2nd I was having terrible hormone imbalance problems (weight gain, insomina, night sweats, etc). My naturopath suggested I give a vegetarian / dairy free diet a try for 6 weeks. I am 3 weeks in, and feeling great. The switch has been super easy for me. I thought I wanted meat more than I did. I decided to cut out eggs also after watching a few documentaries, so I guess I am now full vegan, although I just call myself plant based. Everything is new to me, but I'm always looking for resources and friends!
  • VeronaBose
    VeronaBose Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My name is Bev, I am in Jacksonville, FL. I love my hubby, and they life we have together. I have health issues: one kidney, asthma, allergies, migraines.... and had enough of those issues. After changing to vegan, a lot of those problems eased up. It is nice to wake up without a headache. I can breathe.... it is amazing! All the junk I was eating before is in the past. The best part is my hubby joined me. Our time together has always been amazing. It has just gotten better now that we are on our new Vegan journey.
  • tlharin
    tlharin Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for almost ten years. I'm completing my PhD (dissertation to be defended next April), am living in the Bay Area working part-time as an adjunct instructor and doing freelance translating, and am planning an October wedding with my (meat-eating) fiancé. No kids, no pets (allergies). I've lost about 40 pounds from my heaviest weight 2.5 years ago, about 30 of it since starting MFP in July 2013. Turns out that the life of a grad student/instructor largely involves sitting at a desk reading or staring at a screen, and that really caught up with me. It's been a wild, arduous, slow ride trying to lose extra weight and regain the energy I used to have. I'm glad I took my time because I've developed a lot of habits that are much healthier, and unlike all previous crash diets this lifestyle approach seems to be sticking. I try to exercise for 30-45 minutes at least 5 times a week and walk to the store/library/bar (ahem) whenever possible. We're lucky to also have good hiking here, so I get to climb a mountain every week or two. I'm trying out a 5k for the first time this weekend--here's hoping I just don't fall on my face.
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    tlharin wrote: »
    I've been a vegetarian for almost ten years. I'm completing my PhD (dissertation to be defended next April), am living in the Bay Area working part-time as an adjunct instructor and doing freelance translating, and am planning an October wedding with my (meat-eating) fiancé. No kids, no pets (allergies). I've lost about 40 pounds from my heaviest weight 2.5 years ago, about 30 of it since starting MFP in July 2013. Turns out that the life of a grad student/instructor largely involves sitting at a desk reading or staring at a screen, and that really caught up with me. It's been a wild, arduous, slow ride trying to lose extra weight and regain the energy I used to have. I'm glad I took my time because I've developed a lot of habits that are much healthier, and unlike all previous crash diets this lifestyle approach seems to be sticking. I try to exercise for 30-45 minutes at least 5 times a week and walk to the store/library/bar (ahem) whenever possible. We're lucky to also have good hiking here, so I get to climb a mountain every week or two. I'm trying out a 5k for the first time this weekend--here's hoping I just don't fall on my face.

How did the 5k go?!? :)
  • tlharin
    tlharin Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    How did the 5k go?!? :)

Well, I didn't fall on my face! And I also fulfilled my goal of not stopping to walk--though I now know and promise to embrace that there's nothing wrong with walking during "runs." I'm a noob. I didn't know. I ran a very steady but slow 37:53 time, with my "run keeper" app reporting that my three miles were almost perfectly evenly paced (I don't know why I think that's cool, but I guess I'm proud of not slowing down). I'm going to keep primarily using my elliptical and walking and hiking because lower-impact activities are where it's at for me right now. But I'll also sign up for another 5k soon and will aim to shave 10% off my time. I think I can do it. And even if not, I feel really happy just having done it once already: everyone was really supportive, the crowd was cheerful, it was a great and rewarding day. Would recommend to anyone--walking included--for a somewhat celebratory health & wellness activity.
  • lewisann05
    lewisann05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Jessica. I decided to go vegetarian last year after my ex and I split, and its been a great year. I'm a Denver local, love being so close to the mountains. I too have fur babies that I love--Luke (8yr old runty maincoon mix cat) and Lynnette (6yr old beagle mix).

I did Weight Watchers back in 2011 and lost 70lbs, but have since put 20lbs back on. I've been struggling a little to lose it again, especially on a veg diet as my WW tools are only so helpful in combination. My biggest issue is getting active and staying active. I get motivated in fits and starts and am not great at keeping it going. I have a few activities each year I do--walk the Bolder Boulder 10k for example--but I'm hoping some group mentality motivation may help me once again.

I'm 27yrs old now, but one of my biggest personal goals--weight loss aside--is to walk a half marathon (or if I can manage it! a full marathon) before or for my 30th birthday. I've been doing the BB10k for the last five years, so I'm part of the way there, but not quiet close enough or confident enough just yet. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?
  • Rockkap
    Rockkap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late into the conversation, but am very excited to have found this group!

I'm Lauren and from Oklahoma. I have been a Vegetarian (almost Vegan, except for very little organic cheese) for 1 year this Sunday. I am a Vegetarian for health reasons and animal rights...whoa now, don't make that face. I'm not going to go Carrie on you and throw blood lol I don't force my views on anyone else. I just love animals and hate the idea of eating them. I of course knew animals were hurt being slaughtered etc. but one day I watched Forks Over Knives and couldn't get enough. I watched all the animal friendly documentaries I could find and have researched hundreds of hours into all the bad side effects meat brings into your body- cancer causing agents etc.
    Anyways, I am the only Vegetarian I know besides my awesome hubby who converted with me, his was for health reasons though (awesome getting so much crap and not being able to vent with friends, not) and I am always looking for recipes, tips etc. to new recipes and staying as healthy as possible. I have a vegetarian subscription to Blue Apron and that has opened up a whole new world of recipes. I don't have any veghead friends on MFP (actually just opened my account back up from a year off) and would love to be able to talk, share diary entries etc.
    Thanks for reading my ramblings :)
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm Crystal. :) I live in Florida. I also am an animal lover...two dogs and one cat. I have struggled with adrenal fatigue and well, just feeling gross.... for about 5 years. I now have about 80+lbs to show for it. My doctors finally figured out that I had a hormone imbalance, so now that that is cleared up I need to get this weight off!! I was excited to see that there are others here who share in my struggles for motivation. I also have a desk job, and honestly when I get home I am soooo tired. :/ I wish I had some great excuse... but I dont. I need to get walking again and working in my yard. I tried low carb high fat.... and I cant lie, I dropped 13 lbs, but I just dont like eating a lot of meat, and I do feel guilt knowing how bad our commercial farming industry can be to animals. SO.... I want to go at least vegetarian, if not complete vegan. To feel better, hopefully clear up my skin, and just feel good about what i am putting in my body. *****Please add me as a friend****** I know being vegetarian isn't the most popular thing to some people so I would love a bigger support group <3 QUICK QUESTION - Does anyone experience weight gain from eating a lot of fruit?? I am really struggling to find a balance of how much is ok...what my veggie to fruit ratio should be????
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am Christine and I live outside of Philadelphia. I have eaten a mostly vegan diet for the last 4 1/2 years. I changed my diet because of health, and concerns about the sustainability of factory farming and compassion. Although it took me a long time to commit to changing my diet, I had long been troubled about why we keep some animals as pets but eat others. I am mostly plant based except for very small amounts of organic, local eggs and small amounts of the highest quality organic cheese I can afford. I have been subscribing to Lindsey Nixon's Happy Herbivore Diet since January and about a third of my weekly meals are from her food plan. I have a husband, two teenagers (17 year old son and 13 year old daughter) and an elderly rescue dog. The rest of my family are all omnis but everyone eats less meat since I became plant based (except maybe the dog!) I LOVE fruit but it is higher in carbs and sugar. I had my thyroid removed some time ago and find if I have even one extra banana a day, I gain weight. Crystal, you don't say how many servings of fruit you are eating a day, but experimenting with reducing your intake gradually may have a positive impact. Another strategy that might be effective is eating fruit with a lower glycemic index (such as choosing an apple or a cup of blueberries versus grapes or dried apricots). In any case, I am happy to meet everyone, I have an open diary and always welcome new friends.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Doug and I live in the Akron area. I have a wife, a son in the USMC and a 10 year old black lab named Katie (she's my shadow). I'm working to phase meat, milk and other animal proteins out of my diet for health reasons and for ethical reasons. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm working on it. I'm finding that not everyone understands my eating less meat, cheese, etc. It's as if some feel threatened or maybe guilty.

I have a good friend (70 years old) who had a heart attack and two strokes a few years back. This friend began to eat less meat, cheese, eggs and to exercise some; he has lost 75 pounds. He feels better than he has in years. My friend asked me to read "The China Study" and some other similar materials. The more I read, the more I'm convinced that reducing meat, cheese, eggs, etc. from my diet is the correct choice.

If you have an open food diary; please friend me. I would like to be able to see what you eat so I know what is possible.
  • Vegnwife1234
    Vegnwife1234 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, My name is Sophie...Glad i found this group. I have been vegan for over a year and a half now, i have done mfp before but have had some injuries and well i just stopped using the app and gained more weight. So here i am again and although i did have 2 more surgeries this week and will not be able to workout for sometime i will be tracking my meals and hopefully i can workout soon. I have two yorkies, a shepherd mix and two precious Lion head bunny girls. I remember the last time i had trouble eating up to 2000 calories my dietitian put me on and was having trouble meeting my protein which i needed because i was lifting weights. Anyways i am starting at a low caloric intake of 1240 but will increase it, as my workouts increase. Please feel free to friend me as well, if you'd like...Happy to meet everyone.. :)
  • anastasiaosho
    anastasiaosho Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! I'm Anastasia! I just started my Vegan diet 4 days ago and I already lost 4 lbs! I've been wanting to try a Vegan diet for 10 years so I finally got the courage to do it after reading Compassion Action magazine. I'm starting with a 30-day Vegan challenge. I also signed up for PETA's Vegan starter kit. I was told that I probably won't be able to process meat after my challenge. I plan on switching to a Vegetarian diet after my challenge is over. Any feedback or advice would be helpful! Add me as a friend! Thanks :)
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hey guys :)

I'm Chellie all the way from Ireland been on MFP for years now and love it :) About a month ago I decided I no longer wanted to eat meat, have seen too much cruelty and cannot stomach it anymore :( Went AWOL for a few months but back today ready for the journey to begin again :)

I am mum to 3 Bichons (Bonnie 14, Mollie 9 and Lacey Lou 7) and 2 kitties Oscar (my boy) and Jaspurr (adopted from my bro after he passed :( ) Went on a downhill spiral after losing my bro ... so time to get the "old Me" back again.

Look forward to getting to know everyone here <3

C

The Girls
    o5up2918wehg.jpg
    Jaspurr
    he6ukp8tw2lm.jpg
    Oscar
    hque5lcrh426.jpg
  • RingosTreehouse
    RingosTreehouse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm Dave or David, and I eat mostly plant-based foods, but not a hundred percent, though I'd like to get a lot more strict about it. I probably eat about 95 percent vegetarian and 80 percent vegan. I've eaten this way for years, sometimes with more meat and other animal products, sometimes with less.

The only animal product I buy is butter, to which I'm seriously addicted, and I'd like to change that. The only times I eat not veg/vegan is when I eat away from home, which isn't that often. If someone invites me to their house, I eat whatever they serve and I enjoy it. If I eat at a restaurant, I don't usually order meat, but usually can't avoid things with dairy, broth, or other animal ingredients.

My current weight is 50 pounds down from my highest (36 since starting MFP), and I have about 30 to 40 more to lose, since I don't know what my ultimate goal will be until I get closer and decide where I feel the best.

My primary exercise is rebounding (running in place on a mini-trampoline), but I also do some yoga and am pretty active with mowing and tending my property and doing general activities.

I'm also an animal lover, but can't take my dogs on long walks, as they are all getting up in years. I have a 12-year-old cocker spaniel named Katie (Doug, I see that's also your girl's name), two 14-year-old smooth fox terrier-mix sisters, Echo and Maggie, and a 12-year-old cat named Motor who thinks he's a dog. :smiley:
  • fndhope
    fndhope Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi :) , my name is Hope, I'm from Michigan. I'm a new inexperienced vegetarian. I say 90/10%, it's a journey, but I've been on it for about 6 weeks, and lost about 13lbs :). Looking to learn and support along this journey.