Indian LGBTQ

Options
MartialPanda
MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
Look I have some beef with this issue. (it's funny because indians are supposed to eat beef. Lol ok i'm done)

I am an Indian who identifies as bisexual female. As I read more about LGBTQ things and issues I have found that are basically NO INDIAN LGBTQ role models and stars and the like. Jessica Clark is the only person that comes to mind but she didnt even really have an issue with the culture and such. She's also not 100% indian. Yes i realize i'm being a little picky.

Point is I wish there was more visibility in the indian community regarding LGBTQ issues. There's no real role models to speak of. It's kept under the rug. I can name black, asian, and white LGBTQ leaders but no Indians or Muslims for that matter. I just needed to rant about this.

Replies

• UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think the reason for this is that the LGBT+ community is still very much underground for safety reasons in India and the major Muslim-majority countries. It's a lot safer (thought still not safe for everyone) in the more developed nations. Let's just hope things change in India and the rest of the world soon. :)

I cannot be certain of how 'active' these activists are, but here is a short list for India:

Anjali Gopalan
    Ashok Row Kavi
    Sridhar Rangayan
    Harish Iyer

And I am sure there are more though they may not be as public as these. :flowerforyou:
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Believe me I understand that. I do. I more suggesting in the US/ Canada/ European areas where it is fairly safe. i guess it must be more according to the culture. It's just frustrating.