Understanding misfit shine

shelie272000
shelie272000 Posts: 10 Member
so I'm still confused to understanding and how to process all the data from the misfit shine. I always start the day with some random amount of calories burned anywhere from 500-756. I get that my bodies always burning calories. As to why it's different every day is crazy. I'm allowed 1200 calories a day to eat so my question is if misfit shine says I burnt a total of 1456 calories the day is the difference of 256 the extra calories I can eat if I need it.

Also has anyone been able to sync there misfit yet with mfp?

Replies

• dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    I'm just guess here but I would say the calories you wake with are based on how well you sleep/how many times you got up to pee?
    And I would say if it says you only burnt 1456 then you would want to eat the 1200 if you are trying to lose weight: there is your deficit.
    Mine is on it's way from Amazon so no info on syncing yet.
  • groodlesuk
    groodlesuk Posts: 34 Member
    So.. You setup your Shine via the App (I use iPhone) and you input your weight/gender and your goals.

I dont know for sure, but I would guess that based on your weight and gender, the Misfit app trys to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) requirement for the day. Then, anything else you do (any activity) it estimates the additional calories you burnt to do that activity. Therefore, the number from shine is your BMR + Any Activity

MFP does something similar, but the calculation is based on your calorie goal as well as gender and weight. For example, if you tell MFP that you're Sedentary then it calculates your BMR in the similar way to the Shine. If you tell MFP that you're active it will add some extra calories to account for that. After that, MFP takes your goals into account and either adds or subtracts calories (depending if you're trying to gain or lose weight). In the end it comes up with a calorie goal so you can reach your target.

In an ideal world, where you were not trying to lose or gain weight, the Misfit number and the MFP number would be the same. However, I believe that most are here to lose or gain.

If the Misfit number is larger than the MFP goal figure (and you've linked your Shine to your MFP account) then the Misfit will register additional calories on your MFP under "exercise". (The Shine can subtract calories from your daily goal in MFP, if say the Misfit number was less than the MFP number, but you have to specifically enable this feature for it to do this).

Syncing the Shine to MFP is no problem for me. I have the Misfit app installed on my phone and I sync to that. After I linked the Misfit app to MFP the data automagically gets transferred to MFP and appears on the Website and MFP app too.