I'm interested to know if everyone hits their daily protein "requirement" on fitness pal

Options
2»

Replies

• HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh...and my doctor, who is a vegetarian, told me to take a B12 and iron supplement, so I do that. She says that B12 is difficult for vegans/vegetarians to get, so I've taken that supplement for a while. I've recently been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, but my doctor is pretty sure that it is not my diet that is causing it, so the iron supplement is temporary until her testing figures out what is causing the anemia. You may want to check with your doctor on both supplements. Good luck!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Oh...and my doctor, who is a vegetarian, told me to take a B12 and iron supplement, so I do that. She says that B12 is difficult for vegans/vegetarians to get, so I've taken that supplement for a while. I've recently been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, but my doctor is pretty sure that it is not my diet that is causing it, so the iron supplement is temporary until her testing figures out what is causing the anemia. You may want to check with your doctor on both supplements. Good luck!!

I just want to point out... I started having thyroid issues, high prolactin levels, and malabsorption issues (low iron, low vitamin d, low b and folic acid) as a result of eating too much soy in my diet. To be fair i was eating, like, a LOT of soy trying to hit a protein goal of 90-ish grams per day.

I'm not saying that's the cause, but considering it's an estrogen like substance, it's something to consider.

I cut it out (mostly, and this is hard because my favorite dish in the whole world is stir fried tofu w/veggies) and all these problems were fixed within a few months.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I just want to point out... I started having thyroid issues, high prolactin levels, and malabsorption issues (low iron, low vitamin d, low b and folic acid) as a result of eating too much soy in my diet. To be fair i was eating, like, a LOT of soy trying to hit a protein goal of 90-ish grams per day.

I'm not saying that's the cause, but considering it's an estrogen like substance, it's something to consider.

I cut it out (mostly, and this is hard because my favorite dish in the whole world is stir fried tofu w/veggies) and all these problems were fixed within a few months.

WOW!!! Thanks for letting me know that. I'll ask my doctor about it. I do like soy, I drink so milk, have the soy protein powder (although I could switch to help) and I love tofu. She did say that eating all the soy was why I wasn't having any menopause symptoms. I'll ask her if I am having too much of a good thing. :smile:
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Tempeh and tofu are some of the highest protein foods I eat. They usually get me there.
  • lindaroberts73
    lindaroberts73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink a nature's bounty shake at work and eat a huge can of black beans for dinner at night. Most days I'm over 100.
  • Chelsealovesart
    Chelsealovesart Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually don't unless I am drinking protein smoothies. Dairy does help but alot of dairy is not good for your digestive health or skin from what I hear. I recommend the Vega protein. It is soy free and does not taste like vitaminy, chalky protein powder at all. I feel refreshed and gealthy after drinking it, bUT I have to be more cautious about staying within my calorie goals if I am drinking them because otherwise, I am eating more protein and calories which causes weight gain. I wish I could learn to drink it as a meal replacement for one meal..... hmmm... otgerwise, I think the recommendations are higher than we need unless you are doing alot of strength training. I feel if if am sluggish and overeating, I realize it's bc I am eating only carbs and my body wants a longer term sustenance (ie protein rather than carbs), so I mix vega with almond milk and gel better within a day. I think everyone else has mentioned the other good sources..
  • Chelsealovesart
    Chelsealovesart Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    so I mix vega with almond milk and gel better within a day. I think everyone else has mentioned the other good sources..

*feel better. Not "gel"

• arizonadesert3
    arizonadesert3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I think the protein levels are too high (personally). I've been vegan for 30 years and I remember reading that women should have around 48 grams of protein per day. I have gone by that rule all this time with no problems. I exercise - walking,hiking, cycling. Eat as healthy as you can, a variety of foods, listen to your body and don't stress over the number is my thought.
  • toxicslix
    toxicslix Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For those watching B-12, according to the National Institute of Health in the US, they recommend 2.5 micrograms, which is about 1 tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast. I use it to make a nice cheese flavoring and usually more than 1 TB, so you're probably okay. My strict Vegan friends use it in a lot of stuff..