Does Hoyts Garlic powder have wheat/gluten in it?

Options
duckykissy
duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
This week I'm adding garlic back into my diet. After I seemed completely normal with whole cloves over the weekend, I added garlic powder to a dish the other day. That was the only 'new' thing I've eaten and now I feel like crap. I seriously look 5 months pregnant and feel stretched like a balloon. Because I have the habit of emptying the packages into jars and then tossing them, I have no idea what the original packaged says and the internet hasn't been helpful so far.

So is Hoyts (Australian) garlic powder gluten free? Or am I reacting to garlic?

Replies

• duckykissy
    Options
    Went shopping this evening and the answer is yeah. All of Hoyt's seasonings say they have "traces" of gluten. All are now bye-bye. But at least I know what made me sick?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good for you on figuring it out, best to stay away from spice 'powders' as that is pretty non-descriptive of the ingredients. Dried minced garlic might be a better bet, but if it is manufactured in a facility that also does 'powders', not a good idea. Also you will likely need to stay away from bulk spice bins as they are almost guaranteed to be contaminated by switching out scoops from other bins. I use Epicure spices - guaranteed no gluten, just pure spices. Here's their website. Not sure if they sell in your area... done through home parties mainly, lol. http://epicureselections.com/en/
    My 'consultant' actually has it as a side business for their award winning winery, as they host dinners there and use the products in the meals. She just puts an order in every month and whoever wishes can add their choices to the list - no actual party involved.
  • duckykissy
    Options
    Probably can't get Epicure here if they're a Canadian Company. Looks like a lot of Mackenzie & Masterfood spices are wheat free/gluten free here. Bulk spice bins aren't much of a problem here either, I don't think I've ever seen one in Australia. But I'll definitely keep that in mind if I come across any bulk bins in a city.

So do you stay completely away from all powders & ground spices/ grind them yourself? What do you use to do that? I've only got a mortar and pestle.
  • canadjineh
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you get a coffee grinder (electric of course) if works great for spices! Just make sure it's dedicated to spices only or your coffee will be ... Ugh! unless you only grind cinnamon sticks. :s
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were in Australia (didn't actually look at your profile info) - most on here are US. Haha, you might have more luck with Epicure in Australia than US. The States tend to be very 'insular'.... You could become a rep, lol.
  • duckykissy
    Options
    Well I'm American, so you're not too far off. I'm just an expat.

How do you clean it inbetween spices? I think the reason I've been so hesitant to get a grinder is because my father in law has one that makes EVERYTHING taste of cumin. I spent about 20 minutes cleaning that bad boy and still my almond meal had a delightful Indian taste...

I'm pretty sure I'd be an awful Epicure rep. Saw my mom try to do Tupperware about 15 years ago and that was just bad. I'm sure there has to be some sort of Australian equivalent, I just need to find them.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I never grind cumin; just my personal tastes - I love the seed itself in my meals... & I use a lot in my Indian food and in my Mexican food along with fresh cilantro leaf. There's nothing Mexican that can't be improved with a bit of cumin seed and fresh torn cilantro. As soon as I buy a jarred salsa, I open it and throw some in. I'd keep a couple grinders if you do almond meal in a separate one, or keep one for savoury spices and one for sweeter spices. Almond meal is very delicately flavoured and I'm sure you didn't want Indian flavours (or Mexican either) from the cumin, lol. You could just do cinnamon & whole nutmeg on a tiny grater and leave a grinder for your almond meal and one for savoury spices.
    Here's a good possibility for ordering guaranteed GF spices: Started in 1957 and have won all kinds of awards and accolades. I haven't tried them - just googled, but they sound like quite a quality site: http://www.thespicehouse.com/info/gluten-and-allergen-information
  • canadjineh
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I never grind cumin; just my personal tastes - I love the seed itself in my meals... & I use a lot in my Indian food and in my Mexican food along with fresh cilantro leaf. There's nothing Mexican that can't be improved with a bit of cumin seed and fresh torn cilantro. As soon as I buy a jarred salsa, I open it and throw some in. I'd keep a couple grinders if you do almond meal in a separate one, or keep one for savoury spices and one for sweeter spices. Almond meal is very delicately flavoured and I'm sure you didn't want Indian flavours (or Mexican either) from the cumin, lol. You could just do cinnamon & whole nutmeg on a tiny grater and leave a grinder for your almond meal and one for savoury spices.
    Here's a good possibility for ordering guaranteed GF spices: Started in 1957 and have won all kinds of awards and accolades. I haven't tried them - just googled, but they sound like quite a quality site: http://www.thespicehouse.com/info/gluten-and-allergen-information

Reading there, I just found out my asafoetida powder probably has gluten, :# I will have to chuck it out (although honestly I haven't made a recipe I've needed it for in quite a while.