Hello!

Options
cherylnail
cherylnail Posts: 6 Member
Hi my health issue is Congestive heart failure. I was diagnosed a year ago, working hard to lose 40 lbs. and get in better shape to avoid heart failure and so at this point my exercise is walking. I am working on increasing my pace. I eat a very low sodium diet ( under 500 mg. per day is the goal) and I started walking 1 mile at about 20 min. Now I have increased to 17 minutes,, working to get it to 15 and see if I can get it to 10. I would love to reach my goal in weight and in fitness.. I know I can do it!!

Replies

• Land_Rocket
    Land_Rocket Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'd like to welcome you to the new group.

Firstly, the fact that you have a positive attitude will always be a good thing on your weight loss goal. Personally, I have always found it to be half the battle, so well done there.

I'd also like to say 'well done' on managing to follow a low sodium diet. I can remember myself a time when everything in the house had to have salt added to it, and thought that I'd never be able to do it. Now, it is one of the things I can say I definitely don't miss.

Health wise, my primary diagnosis is Cerebral Palsy, which means that I have absolutely no mobility at all without the use of a powered wheelchair. At first I always used to blame my lack of mobility for my weight, but then, one day, it was time for me to take control of the situation. So, for the last 2 years, I cut out the daily beer sessions, and starting steering myself in the right direction.

The weight I have lost has made me feel much better about myself. But I sure do know it's not easy. Stress, bad news, depression - any of that 'negative' stuff is the one weakness I find where sometimes things get completely on top of me, and that's where I have fallen off the bandwagon occasionally. But, all you can do, is put yourself back on the rails the next day, and start again. So, keep that positivity up there! Don't think you can do it, tell yourself you know you can do it!

Great to have you on board!
  • 9ofthem
    9ofthem Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for creating the group, Land Rocket. I am on my phone so I will have to write more later. :)
  • 9ofthem
    Options
    Hi! I am a collection of medical "co morbidities." Ankylosing Spondilytis, PSVT (heart), circulation issues, thyroid nodule, mild liver damage due to many years of meds, osteoporosis, bipolar, Secondary APS (micro blood clotting disorder). I am married with 9 kids. 2 are married, one of those are expecting our first grandchild, and we have 7 kids still at home. We homeschool to be able to have a family life with my husband's afternoon/evening shift. I was 125lbs overweight due to the thyroid going crazy about 2 years ago. With the meds (thyroid) and severe diet restriction, I have finally lost 26lbs. Just that bit has relieved some strain on my back. I have been back and forth from walking and looking "normal" to unable to roll over in the bed. The dr and I had been considering a motorized chair to keep me mobile and capable of functioning in my family. I am hoping the weightloss and being very careful with rest and meds, will give me a few more years of relative mobility. I have a 2 story house that the entire upstairs is not accessible by me. The kids can Destroy the place up there and I won't know it until the mess starts to trickle down the stairs. lol. The medical mess I have is a definite wheelchair full time eventually. I don't want to be so large that my husband will not be able to help me at that point. I am a very optimistic person and can almost always find the silver lining in any situation. Drives my family crazy. ha ha! Thanks again for this group.
  • Land_Rocket
    Options
    Hello, and thank you for joining!

It is nice to hear that your 26lbs weight loss enabled you to feel better and hopefully kick start the journey down the path to further weight loss, and hopefully even more better health.

Motorized chairs always look great fun, but even after 40+ years, I still manage to do damage to doors, walls, footplates (you get the drift). The stupidest thing I've ever done would be to drive around without footplates, and then run over my own feet. Had to be put in plaster cast for about 2 weeks.. you learn not to do that too often...

As you pointed out, it is a very good idea to try and keep as mobile as possible by watching meds and trying to drop a few extra lbs, as being immobile does mean the body needing less calories - I sooo wish sometimes I could go and have a jog for an hour or so, especially if I've had a bad day and had a 'blow out' :)

With the combination of your optimism, sensibility and support, I'm certain you're going to do fine!

We all know it's not an easy journey at the best of times, but a PMA (positive mental attitude) can do wonders.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I mysteriously injured my ankle ten months ago. After many attempts at helping it heal, the doctors and I are trying one more round of physical therapy before we focus on helping me adapt to my pain and limited mobility. Except when I'm in my scooter, my disability is invisible. I don't limp when I walk, but I am in constant pain that gets worse the further I go. I can generally manage ten minutes before I can't go any further, but some days are worse, and those ten minutes aren't fun; walking isn't an exercise option (nor is dancing or running or any other exercise I used to enjoy that involved being on my feet).

A little over a month ago, I decided I couldn't sit around anymore waiting for some miracle. I took swimming lessons (swimming can hurt a little, but not much), started using the hand cycle at the gym, created a machine-based weight workout that doesn't put pressure on my foot, and adapted past yoga and pilates routines to something I can do. I'm in horrible cardiovascular shape because I have to spend so much time seated, but these routines are helping immensely. They also help my mood; I've been pretty upset about the loss of my mobility and the many activities I can no longer enjoy, so it's important that I do *something*.

The scooter is also a lifesaver. I wouldn't have been able to attend a recent convention without it, for example. Now I'm looking into how to travel with one/rent one when I arrive places. I've got several trips for work lined up this summer, and I'm not sure I can get through the airports on my feet, let alone the convention centers where I'll be attending my meetings.

I'm still in the adjustment period, so I have my moments of being bitter and angry, but those are fewer and further between of late. Taking care of myself and learning to adapt seems to be the key.

Nice to meet you all. :)

• 9ofthem
    Options
    Yes, I do know how much damage can be done with a motorized chair. lol. I haven't run over my feet, but I have others. oops! First time I had to use one in a store was demoralizing. My best friend was with me and she made it a riot. We laughed and joked as I bumped and beeped my way through the store. My kids made jokes that when we have to buy one for me for every day use at home, that they were going to soup it up, give it some cool exhaust pipes, KC lights, a roll bar or two, and pink flames down each side. Had us rolling with laughter.

I hate being "disabled," but learning to accept the label has helped me mentally. It has helped with the family expectations of mom, too. A mom "should be able to" cook all the meals, do the shopping, cleaning, laundry, ironing, and on and on. When I began to not be able to do things, I had some flack from a couple of the teens that I was being lazy. You can't see the pain others feel though. After some talking with Dad and I, they began to realize that I am disabled and can not be expected to do all that the job described. They are learning that if anyone else can do it besides me, they will have to do it. They have learned many skills like cooking, cleaning, shopping, ironing (everyone's least fav), and all the yard work. I save my energies for what no one else can do. I have taught many other people the art of delegation. :) Even though I am unable to keep up with most things, I can contribute great things to my surroundings. I almost hate the good days though. They make me, and others, think I can do anything. Then the next day I can't. grr.

Another component of my stuff is that the arthritis part is hereditary. Of the 5 kids that have been tested so far, 3 have tested positive. All three are symptomatic. They are 26, 19, and 15. We jokingly refer to it all being my fault, but it's true and a bit of guilt for me. They have only this, not all the rest. Thank God. Learning to plan for the future without being able to do Everything is a grieving process. I just do the best to teach them what has helped me.
  • Mezzie1024
    Options
    My students make the exact same comments about my scooter. It cracks me up. :smile:
  • Land_Rocket
    Options
    I'm bored, anyone for extreme bumper cars? :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Mezzie1024
    Options
    :smiley:
    My first week with a scooter, I hit my knee against a heavy metal desk as I was navigating into the narrow parking spot I'd created in my classroom. I freaked out, which made me squeeze the control and hit the desk again. This happened three times before I was able to release the control. Now it's in my muscle memory to let go when anything goes wrong, but I learned it the hard way. That was one heck of a bruise!
  • 9ofthem
    Options
    Ouch!
  • Chimerical79
    Chimerical79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    Hello!
    I mysteriously injured my ankle ten months ago. After many attempts at helping it heal, the doctors and I are trying one more round of physical therapy before we focus on helping me adapt to my pain and limited mobility. Except when I'm in my scooter, my disability is invisible. I don't limp when I walk, but I am in constant pain that gets worse the further I go. I can generally manage ten minutes before I can't go any further, but some days are worse, and those ten minutes aren't fun; walking isn't an exercise option (nor is dancing or running or any other exercise I used to enjoy that involved being on my feet).

A little over a month ago, I decided I couldn't sit around anymore waiting for some miracle. I took swimming lessons (swimming can hurt a little, but not much), started using the hand cycle at the gym, created a machine-based weight workout that doesn't put pressure on my foot, and adapted past yoga and pilates routines to something I can do. I'm in horrible cardiovascular shape because I have to spend so much time seated, but these routines are helping immensely. They also help my mood; I've been pretty upset about the loss of my mobility and the many activities I can no longer enjoy, so it's important that I do *something*.

The scooter is also a lifesaver. I wouldn't have been able to attend a recent convention without it, for example. Now I'm looking into how to travel with one/rent one when I arrive places. I've got several trips for work lined up this summer, and I'm not sure I can get through the airports on my feet, let alone the convention centers where I'll be attending my meetings.

I'm still in the adjustment period, so I have my moments of being bitter and angry, but those are fewer and further between of late. Taking care of myself and learning to adapt seems to be the key.

Nice to meet you all. :)

Hi Mezzie 1024 ;)

Your story sounds eerily similar to what mine was before my second RTC; I now have a condition called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)...

I was wondering if you would mind us becoming MFP friends? :)