bad cook...recipe help!

deanna448
deanna448 Posts: 13 Member
Hello everyone. I have a confession to make -i'm an awful cook!! I have tried to make the following: cinnamon rolls, muffins, cookies, fat bombs and cheesecake. All have been awful. My savoury foods, I'm totally OK cooking, like chicken dishes so my family has great dinners but no good snacks. I'm wasting some good (not cheap either) like coconut flour, almond flour, coconut oil etc. I might resort to buying these things premade from a low carb website unless any of you experts can advise on some easy recipes to follow for deserts. :)

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Keep it simple! I know all those low carb things for baking are really expensive, but do you really need them? I cook less on low carb: frying bacon, hard boiling eggs, making omelettes, salads etc, nuts. My favourite low carb dessert is clotted cream mixed with frozen berries as it tastes like ice cream. If i'm feeling like I've need something sweet I add a bit of stevia or xylitol (my preferred sweetener) to it, but I usually don't bother. Otherwise I eat 85 or 90% dark chocolate for dessert when I feel like something sweet. But I try not to as it just snowballs from there! Focus on the savoury goods and just keep desserts simple. That's my tuppence worth...
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    What @totaloblivia said. I usually don't make lc desserts and snacks. Vary rarely I indulge by mixing a little cocoa and a smidge of sweetener into some mascapone cheese or cream cheese. No quantities, just eyeball propotions .
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    I have an unopened bag of coconut flour in the pantry. You are not alone. At least you tried, I haven't even done that.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    I would avoid most low-carb baked goods... they're never as good as you think they'll be. :(

Personally, I like my red wine and (frozen) 75% dark chocolate... or else I'll have some berries and cream. Save the almond flour for coating pork chops and chicken breasts, and the coconut oil for your coffee!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    deanna448 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I have a confession to make -i'm an awful cook!! I have tried to make the following: cinnamon rolls, muffins, cookies, fat bombs and cheesecake. All have been awful. My savoury foods, I'm totally OK cooking, like chicken dishes so my family has great dinners but no good snacks. I'm wasting some good (not cheap either) like coconut flour, almond flour, coconut oil etc. I might resort to buying these things premade from a low carb website unless any of you experts can advise on some easy recipes to follow for deserts. :)

I agree with this - baked goods are something I haven't braved yet, mostly because for me, that would be one step back in the craving stage, and I don't want to go there. However, I will tell you the simplest fat bomb/dessert recipe I've found is:

One brick of cream cheese, softened at room temp at least an hour (8 oz).
    One stick of butter, softened at room temp along side the cream cheese (8 TBSP).
    One box unsweetened jello OR 1 tsp vanilla + sweetener to taste (2 TBSP, more or less, usually)

smooosh the cream cheese and butter together until blended. If softened for hours, it works with a spoon or hand mixer/whisk. Add in the jello mix (dry) or the vanilla and sweetener.

Vanilla and sweetener will taste like cheesecake.
    Jello Mix will taste like a tangy and fruity cheesecake.

Cool slightly for frosting consistency. Chill in the fridge and eat like a "bite" you pick up. It is pretty difficult to screw this one up, and on average, if you do, you're out all of $5 US...

If you can get this one down, it isn't too hard to do ones that use cream cheese, butter, and coconut oil.

Also, I have one I make with jello, hot water, sour cream, and heavy cream. Just a lot of stirring, but not much to screw up there, either.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/recipe-jello-fat-bombs-731743

Another really easy one is chocolate mousse.

Measure out 4 TBSP of heavy whipping cream into a bowl. Add one TBSP of good quality unsweetened cocoa powder. You can add 1 tsp vanilla, but I only find this necessary when I use a cocoa powder outside my normal brand. Sweeten to taste - usually 2 packets stevia (extra if I use the brand not my usual).

Whisk together until blended, taste, adjust sweetener. Then keep whisking until it firms up.

Also, whip heavy cream, use as a "dip" for berries.

Whip heavy cream, mix with a little cream cheese, add a little sweetener - another dip type option.

My theory is when it comes to wanting a little something sweetish - keep it simple. Be warned, those berries are easy to over eat... Also, pick a sugar free gum to have once in a blue moon.
  • deanna448
    Thanks everyone!! Cream and either a small amount of berries or cocoa is my way forward. I also like the jello with cream cheese and butter idea knitormiss suggested. These are the simple kicks I need every once in a while. :)
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    edited May 2015
    I totally agree with @totaloblivia as well. I swear by clotted cream which we are lucky enough to have in the UK. It has a higher fat content than double cream so can substitute for your fat bombs. Also as I have stated in the chocolate post- hotel chocolat has a vast range of high cocoa low sugar chocolate. Expensive but only need a little.
    This mug cake gives 3 servings. I cover the mug/bowl in cling film so will keep for a least 3 days.
    flourless chocolate cake
    2 tablespoons good quality cocoa,
    1 egg,
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tablespoon stevia or sweetener of choice.
    Mix and microwave for one minute. 3 servings as so intense! I also add some 100% chocolate chips.
    Total Carbohydrate 3 g

recipe from http://ditchthewheat.com/1-minute-flourless-chocolate-cupcake-lc-gf/

Also, it sounds like you are a good cook -if you can do a decent chicken dish.
    Sometimes the recipes are just wrong. I did a caramel sauce from a recipe and it suggested I boil the recipe for too long-I wasted a load of ingredients. I did it again without overboiling it was fine. Also some of the substitutions for low carb recipes don't work-anything with pork rinds don't taste right to me.

Could you also specifically say did you not like about the cinnamon rolls, cookies etc? Did the coconut/almond flour give them a weird texture. Too dry/ too weird tasting-what was it? Maybe people here can give suggestions to help improve those recipes and you can try again in the future if you have a craving for the snacks mentioned.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited May 2015
    I experimented with fat bombs for the first time last night. I just mixed together some peanut butter, butter, coconut oil, and unsweetened cocoa powder and poured it into molds and threw it in the freezer. About 10 minutes later, I popped a piece out of the mold and tasted it. It was yummy and super simple!

I'm not much of a cook either, especially when it comes to meats, which can be a big problem on this WOE. I also don't really have time to spend in the kitchen, as I'm a working/career mom with three little kids at home who are starved for every minute they can get with me, so simplicity is the key for me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I experimented with fat bombs for the first time last night. I just mixed together some peanut butter, butter, coconut oil, and unsweetened cocoa powder and poured it into molds and threw it in the freezer. About 10 minutes later, I popped a piece out of the mold and tasted it. It was yummy and super simple!

I'm not much of a cook either, especially when it comes to meats, which can be a big problem on this WOE. I also don't really have time to spend in the kitchen, as I'm a working/career mom with three little kids at home who are starved for every minute they can get with me, so simplicity is the key for me.

easiest meat on this plan - buy a hunk of roast with a fatty later on it. Rub it down in salt and pepper. Jab a knife in it to make holes - dump in some salt and a clove of garlic in each one (doesn't even have to be peeled). Put it on a raised tray if you can. Otherwise, just in a pan.

Roast at 350 for about an hour and a half for a 2.5 pound roast or so (until the internet temp reads for medium is my suggestion). Enjoy. Dump some buillion and water in the bottom of the pan if using a raised shelf to catch all the drippings and make a BOMB au jus....
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Sugar Free Jello. Not the healthiest, but it gets the sweet craving for me. Also, I make an easy microwave brownie. 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa, 1/4 cup almond milk or cream, 1 tbs melted coconut oil or butter, sweetener to taste. Mix in mug. Microwave 30 sec. Eat.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_cheese_clouds.html I've been eating cream cheese clouds this week and I absolutely love them. No expensive ingredients and super easy to make.
  • DianaElena76
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

easiest meat on this plan - buy a hunk of roast with a fatty later on it. Rub it down in salt and pepper. Jab a knife in it to make holes - dump in some salt and a clove of garlic in each one (doesn't even have to be peeled). Put it on a raised tray if you can. Otherwise, just in a pan.

Roast at 350 for about an hour and a half for a 2.5 pound roast or so (until the internet temp reads for medium is my suggestion). Enjoy. Dump some buillion and water in the bottom of the pan if using a raised shelf to catch all the drippings and make a BOMB au jus....

Sounds awesome---now what's a roast? How do I know if I'm getting a good one? What's a decent price? LOL I'm joking..... maybe. :wink:
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member

That's my biggest complaint about most fat bomb recipes. I don't want to wait for something to freeze. If I'm low enough for the day and want something like that, I'm in Veruca Salt mode and want it now.
  • DianaElena76
    JPW1990 wrote: »

That's my biggest complaint about most fat bomb recipes. I don't want to wait for something to freeze. If I'm low enough for the day and want something like that, I'm in Veruca Salt mode and want it now.

Thanks for getting THAT song stuck in my head!! I WANT IT NOWWWWWWW!!!!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member

my favorite part about making fat bombs is eating some of it as i'm putting it in the mini-muffin tins to put in the freezer, reminds me of licking the icing off the beaters when my mom would make cakes as a kid :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Sounds awesome---now what's a roast? How do I know if I'm getting a good one? What's a decent price? LOL I'm joking..... maybe. :wink:

I don't know about meat prices there, but I won't pay above $5 per pound for it. If I but it in bulk, I can get it for $3.59 per pound or so. Rump Roast, Chuck Roast, Pot Roast, Eye of Round Roast. Basically if it is thicker than 1", you can probably cook it this way. Most are usually shaped roughly like a rectangle or pyramid. If in doubt, ask someone in the meat department to help you pick it out. You want a 1/4" thick or so layer of fat on one edge - that faces up so it "self-bastes" while cooking... Marbleizing is to individual preference. I honestly don't pay too terrible much attention. And since this follows the rule of the cheaper the better, it's really hard to get a "bad" one, unless you just get a cut of meat that won't work for roasting. Most grocery stores will either label it with roast in there somewhere or have a decent meat department person who can explain it to you. If all else fails, google whatever the "cut" description is on the label. Many places label it in fancy terms, but google will tell you the best preparations for any given cut of meat.

My local grocer is typically overpriced on stuff like this, but they run different sales each week - so I always wait for this one, and load up what I can. I think I got over 7 pounds of roast for less than $25....
  • KnitOrMiss
    radiii wrote: »

my favorite part about making fat bombs is eating some of it as i'm putting it in the mini-muffin tins to put in the freezer, reminds me of licking the icing off the beaters when my mom would make cakes as a kid :D

My favorite fat bomb is that strawberry cheesecake one, but I don't freeze it. I stick it in the fridge and eat it like icing/pudding, etc. Portion control is a little more difficult here, but not bad if you portion it out... Instant glory. Some of the "pudding" fat bombs work well this way.
  • deanna448
    I have been enjoying cream, cocoa powder and stevia as a nice little desert But Ill get more adventurous and try more suggestions at the weekend. One thing I'd love to have is a good cinnamon roll recipe. I made some with almond flour and the pastry was liquidy so not roll-able, but when cooked it was edible. my weak spot is definitely cinnamon rolls or applesauce with cinnamon or anything with cinnamon.
    Any SIMPLE recipes out there that can give me my cinnamon rush?
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    deanna448 wrote: »
    I have been enjoying cream, cocoa powder and stevia as a nice little desert But Ill get more adventurous and try more suggestions at the weekend. One thing I'd love to have is a good cinnamon roll recipe. I made some with almond flour and the pastry was liquidy so not roll-able, but when cooked it was edible. my weak spot is definitely cinnamon rolls or applesauce with cinnamon or anything with cinnamon.
    Any SIMPLE recipes out there that can give me my cinnamon rush?

Here's a recipe for ya: go to your nearest supermarket or drugstore that carries Atkins products. Buy a box of Atkins "Cinnamon Bun" meal replacement bars. :D

Also, here's a link to the recipe for the BEST CHEESECAKE: "Bawdy's Cheesecake". Read through the thread (or some of it, anyway, for answers to many questions.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=224312

Really great cheddar biscuits - rich and filling:

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/coconut-flour-cheddar-drop-biscuits