A Reminder to Be Safe!

chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
I heard from a friend that a cyclist was struck and possibly killed by a vehicle last night. He was riding on a major highway in the area at night/around sunset.

Remember: Being safe on a bicycle on public roads is 80% route planning. I always, always, always avoid major roads unless I absolutely have no choice. Strava, Ride with GPS, and Route Loops are great places to plan out your rides ahead of time. The general rule I like to follow, and I've heard other people following, is: Avoid roads that are thick white lines. The thinner the line, the better.

Also, mirrors are your friend. It's a good idea to be able to see, and even control the traffic that's approaching your from behind.

Replies

• LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    I never ride on the road at night simply because I'm afraid of things coming for me from the woods! East Texas for ya....

We had someone get struck and killed by a car Christmas Eve last year. He was riding in the lane without any lights on his bike, wearing all black. The woman was at fault since she wasn't paying any attention to the road (texting) when she struck him.

Everyone should always be careful :)
  • chivalryder
    edited May 2015
    I never ride on the road at night simply because I'm afraid of things coming for me from the woods! East Texas for ya....

We had someone get struck and killed by a car Christmas Eve last year. He was riding in the lane without any lights on his bike, wearing all black. The woman was at fault since she wasn't paying any attention to the road (texting) when she struck him.

Everyone should always be careful :)

Everyone should definitely always be careful, but you only have control over what you are doing to prevent yourself from getting killed.

That guy was an idiot and doing that is a death wish. Sucks to hear what happened, but when you ride at night without lights, in all black, getting killed should be expected.

ETA: This one time, I was driving on the highway, and about 10 ft off the front, passenger side of my car was a small red car, same size as mine. The driver didn't have any lights on, and I didn't see it until they turned their turn signal on.

I nearly shat myself it's scared me so much, and I'm a VERY observant driver.

I also almost struck a cyclist as I was turning onto my street. It was dark, raining, and traffic was everywhere. There was a car tuning right off my street, and as I pulled into the road, a cyclist suddenly appeared on the crosswalk, right in front of the truck. No lights, wearing all black, no helmet.

Because of the truck lights, I didn't see her until she was in the lights.

I didn't even have time to hit my brakes. If she were going any faster, we would have slammed into each other.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited May 2015
    >>>>view from today's ride. yes am in the bike lane. I wear high-viz clothing, have 4 daylight bright DiNotte lights (amber/white/red/red). Still, people are ignorant. Drivers underestimate a 27-32mph cyclist.
    At any rate, the GoPro & the Fly6 capture what needs to be captured & I hope I never have to use them.

(eta: If I knew how to import pix, I would import the truck who almost nailed my rear end....now that picture is a little too close for me)
  • chivalryder
    >>>>view from today's ride. yes am in the bike lane. I wear high-viz clothing, have 4 daylight bright DiNotte lights (amber/white/red/red). Still, people are ignorant. Drivers underestimate a 27-32mph cyclist.
    At any rate, the GoPro & the Fly6 capture what needs to be captured & I hope I never have to use them.

(eta: If I knew how to import pix, I would import the truck who almost nailed my rear end....now that picture is a little too close for me)

Just drag and drop the image into the text box.
  • allaboutthecake
    edited May 2015
    dy33gcyvjh21.png

Well, that was easy to import! B)
  • allaboutthecake
    Of course, when a police officer is in the right place, at the right time....it sure does put a big grin on my face! :p:p:p7b47aaix0tc2.jpg
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    I was almost right hooked this past Thursday. A nice lady in a crossover SUV type car, speed up and cut right in front of me to make her right turn instead of waiting the 0.2 seconds extra for me to have cleared the road first. I didn't even have time to react in the slightest bit. I didn't even get the adrenaline surge you sometimes get during a close call. We were both going about 20mph side-to-side as we approached the road she wanted to turn in, and she had to step on the gas pretty hard to pass me "just enough" to clear my front tire by maybe 10-12 inches or so. Pretty skillful driving on her part, no doubt?

Last week, I after climbing a hill, I was on the downside, and going about 35mph. Too fast, since I later saw the posted limit at 30mph. But a lady in a SUV decided to cross over the double yellow line and pass me in the opposing traffic lane at maybe 40-50mph. I know where she lives now as well, because about 20 seconds later, I passed her rear bumper as she was turning into her driveway at the bottom of the hill.

I think that, psychologically, some people instinctually think that bikes are very, very slow, and that delaying your travel for any length of time is a very bad thing?
  • chivalryder
    Archon2 wrote: »
    I was almost right hooked this past Thursday. A nice lady in a crossover SUV type car, speed up and cut right in front of me to make her right turn instead of waiting the 0.2 seconds extra for me to have cleared the road first. I didn't even have time to react in the slightest bit. I didn't even get the adrenaline surge you sometimes get during a close call. We were both going about 20mph side-to-side as we approached the road she wanted to turn in, and she had to step on the gas pretty hard to pass me "just enough" to clear my front tire by maybe 10-12 inches or so. Pretty skillful driving on her part, no doubt?

Last week, I after climbing a hill, I was on the downside, and going about 35mph. Too fast, since I later saw the posted limit at 30mph. But a lady in a SUV decided to cross over the double yellow line and pass me in the opposing traffic lane at maybe 40-50mph. I know where she lives now as well, because about 20 seconds later, I passed her rear bumper as she was turning into her driveway at the bottom of the hill.

I think that, psychologically, some people instinctually think that bikes are very, very slow, and that delaying your travel for any length of time is a very bad thing?

I think it's more the latter. You will very, very rarely witness someone slowing down to go behind another vehicle of any sort, to make it to their destination. Everyone seems to have an "I need to get where I'm going before you" mentality. People will go faster to get around someone, rather than slow down and go behind them.

I know, I used to be like that. Most people I know are like that. It's dangerous, silly, and usually illegal. The only thing you can do is watch out for yourself and do your best to be safe.
  • chivalryder
    dy33gcyvjh21.png

Yup. That's scary-close. I've had a bus pas me that closely before!
  • allaboutthecake
    edited May 2015
    dy33gcyvjh21.png

Yup. That's scary-close. I've had a bus pas me that closely before!

That truck missed the rear by a hair. I run cameras on the front & the back. As for the bus, I'd turn that driver in! Like this driver....He has a RED light. Funny how he missed the Stop Bar by a full truck length and didn't stop until he realized he ran out of Crosswalk.

mv530hqitm5q.png