Going rack & barbell shopping any advice?

Options
indianarose2
indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
i like a 1/2 rack at Dick's but am open to a cage. I would like a 6' bar for space considerations and wonder about a women's bar... Do they fit properly in a cage? I welcome any suggestions! Thx!

Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good luck today, enjoy!
    I ended up with a power rack, since I'm usually home alone I feel safer. I can also use it for pull ups/chin ups...well, one day lol. Walmart had the best prices for plates, started with one set of each. The one thing that worked to my benefit...my husband had an old bar that I've been using for my OhP till I work my way up to 45. Also I found that collars are easier for me to handle than claps.
    Sorry I'm not much help...Happy Mother's Day, enjoy.

Edited to answer the barbell question...I was initially going to get the women's oly bar but decided against it since my son was interested...but I also have my husband's old 10# bar for my weaker lifts....
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Thank you!! Bought a 6' chrome bar for $100 at playitagain and now off to look at racks! Very excited!!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Do they fit properly in a cage?

i know next to nothing about this since i lift in a gym . . . but to this question, i'll just throw it out there that i tried using the women's bar in their squat rack once, which was clearly designed for the standard 'male' bar. and based on that, i would say to be careful. at my place, the short bar is just long enough that the sleeves do fit onto the pins, but it's a) too easy to miss the pins, b) not stable because the sleeves are fatter than the shaft of the bar and they spin, and c) i think both those things would get worse if you also had plates on the bar. personally, i ended up with the impression that it's probably not safe enough for my taste.

• indianarose2
    Options
    Thanks canadianlbs! I noticed too that it just fits the pegs. I have the 6' now and like it for space considerations but am also going to get a set of 300# weights that includes a 7' bar so I will have both to experiment with. The 30# bar sure is easier to get up to the peg to load for squats. Will I just need to learn to just clean the bar up to the peg? Easy with the 30# not so easy with the 45# right now.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's exciting! Good for you for getting your own gear for home! I can't wait until I do the same :)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I was eyeing the half cage at Dick's. It looked pretty good for the price - has safeties and everything. I didn't care for their bar, though. I like sharp knurling and theirs didn't have it. Are you going to buy a bench as well?
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Yes! I love their bench. It rolls so nicely and fits well in the rack. Since I'm such a beginner I have no idea about the differences in knurling. Lol! I figure I must start somewhere and can later sell what I have and upgrade later. I know my question about cleaning the bar up to squatting height sounds silly but is that how to do it? I guess it will get easier as I get stronger if I use the 45...
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Will I just need to learn to just clean the bar up to the peg?

i guess . . . i can't figure out how else you would get it up there. but it doesn't have to be a technically perfect clean so long as you keep yourself safe.

• justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I opted for a cage since I always lift alone and felt safer with the pins. Got it on Craigslist for $100 and the guy threw in a bench he had. Yay!! Previously I had bought a used 7 ft oly bar and some weights but couldn't really progress without some kind of rack or cage.

I don't think a 6 ft bar would work in my cage though; think it would be too short, but it would probably work fine for floor lifts. I eventually decided to get another used 7 ft bar ($40 @ play it again sports) for lifts out of the cage such as DL and rows since it was kind of awkward moving it in and out of the cage. Saves a lot of hassle!! Good luck in your search and keep your eye out for used items on craigslist and play it again sports.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if the bar isn't on the pins, then you end up cleaning it to get it up there. i have to do it about every time because I lift at the gym and not many people are my height so I have to move the pins down, keeping the bar on the safeties while I do. It's a little awkward at first but soon enough even 45 should be easy. I can clean up to about 70 now but I don't do it as a lift. Just for the pre-fixed barbells, sometimes the open spot is high enough to require such. I kind of like the squat rack sometimes instead of the power cage cause I don't have to move much but the bar to the best slot that works for my height.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    justmytype wrote: »
    I opted for a cage since I always lift alone and felt safer with the pins. Got it on Craigslist for $100 and the guy threw in a bench he had. Yay!.

I don't think a 6 ft bar would work in my cage though; think it would be too short, but it would probably work fine for floor lifts. I eventually decided to get another used 7 ft bar ($40 @ play it again sports) for lifts out of the cage such as DL and rows since it was kind of awkward moving it in and out of the cage. Saves a lot of hassle!! Good luck in your search and keep your eye out for used items on craigslist and play it again sports.

$100! That is quite a score! I have been stalking Craigslist for months now and the only cage at playitagain was huge and sold. I was tempted to just get the $100 squat rack with no safeties and call it done but decided I really want the safeties. Your post kind of confirmed my choice because of the consideration of having to maneuver out of the cage in a tight space. With this rack I can just step back. So, I'm going to pick up the 1/2 rack with safeties, bench and weight set at Dick's today. My husband and teenage son are fully on board and the set should get a lot of use at home.
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Yeah, if the bar isn't on the pins, then you end up cleaning it to get it up there. i have to do it about every time because I lift at the gym and not many people are my height so I have to move the pins down, keeping the bar on the safeties while I do. It's a little awkward at first but soon enough even 45 should be easy. I can clean up to about 70 now but I don't do it as a lift. Just for the pre-fixed barbells, sometimes the open spot is high enough to require such. I kind of like the squat rack sometimes instead of the power cage cause I don't have to move much but the bar to the best slot that works for my height.

Thanks! These are things I never even considered. I'm glad I get to figure this stuff out in the privacy of my home because I would end up in "so there was this guy at the gym" kind of thread somewhere.

• MissHolidayGolightly
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes! I love their bench. It rolls so nicely and fits well in the rack. Since I'm such a beginner I have no idea about the differences in knurling. Lol! I figure I must start somewhere and can later sell what I have and upgrade later. I know my question about cleaning the bar up to squatting height sounds silly but is that how to do it? I guess it will get easier as I get stronger if I use the 45...

Knurling are the crossed lines on the barbell that make it rough feeling. When it's sharper, it's easier to grip. It's a matter of preference though - some like sharp (like me) others like it less so because it can hurt the skin on your hands.

Now I'm getting envious of your soon-to-be home gym. I've been in a mood to spend money lately which is confounding it. I put a whole 8-piece patio furniture set in my online shopping cart yesterday but -thankfully- didn't pull the trigger.... yet.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the space for a home gym!
    I would have to kick my 5 year old out of her playroom though, which wouldn't go over well. Plus, I would have to find room for all her stuff and the piano...so....not happening :P We live in an old house, so small bedrooms and 6.5 ft basement ceilings.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    6.5 ft basement ceilings.

perfect excuse to not do overhead press :D

oh wait.

• mirrim52
    Options
    6.5 ft basement ceilings.

perfect excuse to not do overhead press :D

oh wait.

Heh, I am short, I could probably still do them :P
    A half rack and barbell would probably get in the way of our 3D projector and screen, which are my husband's babies. No way a full cage would fit.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    I would have to kick my 5 year old out of her playroom though, which wouldn't go over well. Plus, I would have to find room for all her stuff and the piano...so....not happening :P We live in an old house, so small bedrooms and 6.5 ft basement ceilings.

...And Miss Holidaygolightly

But would you want it in your bedroom? Lol! There definitely are advantages to having it here. I certainly can't ignore it. I see it when i wake and when I go to bed every day. Here is my setup (Notice the bed steps away...). Had my first workout on it today! And what do you know the 7' foot can fit just fine! Thank you to everyone who helped me to figure things out.
    img
  • mirrim52
    Options
    I would never deadlift in my bedroom. It is on the second floor of my old house, and the barbell would likely end up in my kitchen downstairs :P
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options

...And Miss Holidaygolightly

But would you want it in your bedroom? Lol! There definitely are advantages to having it here. I certainly can't ignore it. I see it when i wake and when I go to bed every day. Here is my setup (Notice the bed steps away...). Had my first workout on it today! And what do you know the 7' foot can fit just fine! Thank you to everyone who helped me to figure things out.
    img

Looks amazing!! I'd probably try to fit mine in my garage. Need to clean and organize it but I think I could get it in there and work out with one of the cars pulled out. I'd eventually like to get a gym shed but that's a future project.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Previous homeowners used the garage for exercise equipment but I told my husband no because I'd never go in there....garage smell/hot...girly-girl thing I guess. I'm trying to convince my husband to build a storage/rec building/barn thing like we had in Indiana but having the setup in my bedroom is probably a good idea for me now until my habits are rock solid. Out of sight out of mind...I'm just terrible at forming new habits and lose them easily.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I'm weird and I enjoy the musty smell of the garage lol. It's like some people like the smell of tar or diesel. As for the heat, you said you were in Mississippi, right? I would probably die in that heat do I can't blame you. I'm finally -starting- to get used to Maryland summers.