Advice for a newbie...

Options
Dmkolls
Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
Hello, all CFers! I've been doing CF for about 5 weeks now. Prior to CF, I did not work out consistently, and I am not in shape whatsoever (55 lbs overweight with almost zero upper body strength).

I go about 3 times per week (MWF), with the exception of the last two weeks. First week of the two, I was traveling all week for work, and I could only make it to the Saturday class, and the second week I was sick with the flu literally all week, not making any. I'm still fighting some congestion and cough, but was able to (barely) make it through this past Monday's WOD.

Monday's WOD made me feel like I was back at square one. The warm up and SWOD and CWOD all included squats - A LOT of them. I have great mobility with my squats, but my legs were jelly after the warm up squats and SWOD (back squats) and I could barely move for the CWOD (400 meter run with wall balls and box jumps - 3 rounds).

Tuesday (yesterday) I had to travel for work and really didn't feel sore until late afternoon (after sitting in a car for a long period). I did, however, swim in the pool when I got home and that helped. However, this morning I am VERY sore in my quads more than anywhere else. It hurts pretty bad, and I've been massaging my quads and putting arnica on them to prep for today's WOD.

I looked at the WOD for today and this is what I see:

Warm-up (No Measure)

3 rounds:
10 PVC pass thru’s
10 PVC OHS
1 Jungle Jim

Metcon (Time)

A) 4 rounds**
250 M Row
12 Thrusters (45/35)
200 M Run
8 Pull ups
**Rest exactly 2 minutes between rounds

+

Double unders + Sit ups

Metcon (AMRAP – Reps)

Perform as many KB Snatches as possible in 10 minutes. Switch hands as needed.
B) AMRAP 10 minutes
KB Snatches (1.5/1.0

I'm still learning (and Googling) what some of this means, but I see a lot of squats again. I should be able to do some squats, but not throughout the entire class without compromising form or possibly not even being able to complete.

What would be the best plan of attack? I would like to go today, but I don't want to wreck myself and be too sore for Friday (and hopefully Saturday) class.

Replies

• pookaroo78
    pookaroo78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do what you can without overdoing it! That sounds like quite the workout!!
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    Scale back on whatever you need to. When I'm sore or hurt the coaches are pretty good about helping me figure out how to scale the workout so I still get something out of it without getting hurt. Also a foam roller would be great for your quads. When I first started my quads and calves were getting really sore so I foam rolled before the workouts, after the workouts, and even bought a roller to use at home when I'm really sore. I have to agree with Pookaroo- that sounds like a HUGE workout!
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Let your coach know where you are at and scale it. One of the 1st things we go over before a class starts is where everyone is at. My coach ALWAYS asks EVERYONE prior to starting. He wants to know what he needs to target for mobility and prep for the workout and then watches how we do and scales accordingly.

Talk to your coach. That's why you pay a premium $ for Crossfit.
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a foam roller because I have issues with my knees and realized it was my IT band. I wish I'd had the roller from day one (by day two I could barely walk.) It's a worthwhile investment seeing as I'll always be sore somewhere!
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!

I talked to my coach, and he was happy I was sore (earned me a high 5 HA!), and he told me to just do what I could.

Yesterday WAS a beast of a workout, and we didn't get through it all as a group before time ran out. However, I am so glad that I went.

Thrusters were the only point that I really felt the soreness. However, I think I really need to focus more in pushing up through my heels and pushing my rear out more. I've been watching others and videos, and it may be I'm putting the pressure myself on the quads by not doing that.

Oh well, you live and you learn! Thanks for the support!