Send feedback to drivers!

Options
So after my ride today I sent a message to the local bus company, one of whose buses passed me FAR too close, asking them to train their drivers better - but ALSO to the local builders' merchants, one of whose low-loaders was very good, passed me with enough space, and hung back far enough.

Do you send feedback to companies owning vehicles which behave particularly well/badly?

Replies

• paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I give drivers who give way to me a wave or a loud nod and drivers who cut me up a not so friendly wave.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I give drivers who give way to me a wave or a loud nod and drivers who cut me up a not so friendly wave.

Same here, and if they are patient with me at a roundabout etc I thank them with a wave.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Drivers overtakes etc. got so bad here, I've now got a video camera on my helmet (& depending on which bike I'm on, one on my bike pointing backwards too...)

If needs must, I e-mail the company and point them to a video uploaded onto YouTube!

Conscientious companies take action, other don't.

If the pass etc. is so bad, or indeed there is an accident, I download the footage onto a DVD and make a complaint to the Police with the DVD as evidence... Fortunately, I haven't had to do this (yet!)
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My experience in the UK and Europe is that cyclists have more respect than they do in the States. I give a friendly wave to drivers that wait to pass safely and with added margin. I've found that when I'm geared up for touring I'm usually given more space. When a driver passes closely for no apparent reason I ignore it for safety. I'm in no position to pick a fight with any kind of vehicle. I've ridden in many different countries and found the States to be particularly hazardous to riders (Spain was fantastic! Had car loads of people slowing down and hanging out their car windows cheering me on as I climbed the Pyrenees with a fully loaded touring bike.) I would rather live to ride another day than die trying to make a point.
  • OLeoLionessO
    OLeoLionessO Posts: 152
    Options
    In Arizona during summer season, for some reasons, lots of drivers get really close to you if you're riding in the street. I've been hit by 3 cars and 1 of those times I wasn't even on my bike. I think Cloggsy has the right idea. People don't realize the laws of bikes and if you have proof that the accident was at fault of the vehicle, then that video in the right hands would make a difference.

I usually just find neighborhood bike paths and stay off the main street. I am thinking about investing a camera just for the sake of my well being and to teach cars that we need the roads too!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    In Colorado this spring, a video from a bike rider went viral almost instantly on YouTube. I don't think the rider was planning on sending it to the police but they contacted him. And since he had full coverage of the license and how long the hazing went on, under Colorado law, the police were prosecuting the individual. It's a big fine for hasseling a bicyclist.

I was riding yesterday and had someone yell at me to get me to wreck as they went pass. I'm sure they thought it was a joke but if I had wrecked it wouldn't have been funny. I too will think about the camera investment since that is my only true protection from people who think they own the road because they own a car and drive.

I agree with Strangelyinsa - Europe is so much different than here to ride in. I rode there with complete confidence that I wasn't going to be hit. Here in the states, I must be aware every moment of my ride for danger.

And conversely, I would make the pitch that bicyclists need to obey the traffic laws themselves. It doesn't help our image if we run lights and stop signs without stopping just because we can weave in between traffic. Or if we cut people off when we ride where pedestrians walk too on trails.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Nice/respectful drivers get the friendly wave. Jerks get nothing...old habit was to give the 1-finger salute but since I live in a state that allows guns in bars that habit has fallen off. I have emailed companies whose driver have buzzed me but nothing has ever come of it.

Unfortunately I have no choice but to ride on the highway, that's all my town has is the one road that goes the length of the town so unless I want to ride 10+ miles out of the way I take the highway.

@cloggsy71 - what cams are you using? Been thinking about looking into it, was wondering what folks use.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When motorists have been jerks to me on the road, I have been known to wave and shout my thanks at them. "Hey! Thank You!" Can really put them on edge. :smile:

Luckily, I live in a city that loves bikes (Portland, OR). I wouldn't want to depend on my bike for transportation in motorist towns like Los Angeles or Houston.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    @cloggsy71 - what cams are you using? Been thinking about looking into it, was wondering what folks use.

I use an RD32II, 1080P, h264 camera on my helmet - very good review here: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2012/1/8/the-rd32ii-1080p-h264-sport-cam.html

I use a Sony HDR AS-10 camera (only released for the US market apparently?) for my rear facing stuff - another nice review here: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/1/1/gopro-hd-hero3-white-vs-sony-hdr-as10.html

There are lots of very good quality stuff out there; you don't always have to opt for 'GoPro' etc. There are some great reviews on Techmoan's site - He does the reviewing, so you don't have too :lol:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Many drivers here on Neptune treat bicycles like an annoyance. I hope they do not kill or maim me. I've heard it's perfect elsewhere.