DVD's for Working Out At Home

Options
mikemusky44
mikemusky44 Posts: 218 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
Anyone who has been reading my posts probably knows how much Swati and I are enjoying P90X3, which offers great 30 minute workouts with a wide variety of exercises. Well, we found another set of DVD's we absolutely love - Les Mills Combat.

We actually looked at Combat after really enjoying the MMX DVD in P90X3 (which is similar but not the same). We just finished 30 minutes of the first Combat workout and I can honestly say neither of our shirts have ever been so wet - In other words, we burned a ton of calories. We are still using P90X3 for our primary workouts and will be starting another round in 2 weeks. We have also been using other DVD's (like Combat) for additional workouts in the evening when we are feeling good.

If you like martial arts type workouts, I would strongly recommend it. They are non-stop for 30-45 minutes and seem to fly by. The music and hosts with Australian accents add to the fun. Plus Beachbody has them on clearance so the entire set is less than $40 (a true bargain for any Beachbody product).

While the DVD's offer a mixture of martial arts, I can't see myself doing a 60 or 90 day calendar of martial arts everyday but will definitely use them as supplements at least once or twice per week.

I'd be very interested in learning what home workout programs you enjoy (and why) as Swat and I both like variety. So please feel free to share. Thanks. -Michael

Replies

• bugfrogmom
    bugfrogmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing "Combat" for quite some time now, but I'm still trying to master Billy Blanks "Tae Bo" and Jillian Michaels "Kickboxing." The sale price on "Combat" is awfully enticing, however! I also go to a martial arts/self-defense class every Saturday night...I love it!
  • MommaEia_Linda
    MommaEia_Linda Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't think my knee and ankle will let me exercise like that anymore. The best I can do is walking with Leslie. I do have to say I have done a bit of sweating with her walks. I have bought several of her DVD's for variety. She adds weights in some of them. I'm using 5# hand weights. My husband bought me the Bowflex Max Trainer. I think I have used it 5 times. It's hard on my knee. I used to use the treadmill and loved that. But using that is where my knee started hurting. I hated to give that up. My kids use that one now along with an elliptical I tried and didn't like.
  • pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    speaking of DVD's, I think I've read that several of you use the Leslie walking DVD's. She seem to have about 30 of them out there --- can anyone recommend any favorites?
  • GoForthandBeAwesome
    GoForthandBeAwesome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has great products. I like Focus T25 for a quick intense workout. The only equipment you need is a band with hand grips. One comes with the DVD set, but if you've both been doing P90X then you probably have another one already. Also, you can buy a subscription for Beachbody streaming video. It doesn't include T25 but it does have the advantage of variety.
  • GoForthandBeAwesome
    GoForthandBeAwesome Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't think my knee and ankle will let me exercise like that anymore. The best I can do is walking with Leslie.

Try tai chi. It's gentle and helps to develop support for your joints. I prefer it in a class setting. But if you don't have tai chi school nearby, you may want to try Beachbody's "TaiCheng" which is supposed to provide the same orthopedic benefits through similar moves.

Also, a good yoga studio will be able to help you with orthopedic issues too. Don't just take a class from some dodo though. You have to find a well-trained, experienced yoga master to show you what will help and especially what to avoid.