struggling and frusterated

Options
miart65
miart65 Posts: 18 Member
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 7th grade, so I know most of the struggles it comes with by now, especially weight loss. I went off Metformin my first year and a half of college and ended up gaining 50lbs. Since then I've been trying to lose all that again. I have lost about 25lbs, but I've been plateauing for about a year now, which is very discouraging. I have cut my portion sizes a lot, eat mostly healthy with the occasional binge, and work out about once a week. I know I should work out more, but have a hard time motivating myself to get there. But even with only working out once a week, I feel like I should be getting SOME kind of results from all that I'm doing. Does anyone else go through this? What helps you get to the gym more often? What do you do to keep from binging so much? What keeps you going when you see no results for such a long time?

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 7th grade, so I know most of the struggles it comes with by now, especially weight loss. I went off Metformin my first year and a half of college and ended up gaining 50lbs. Since then I've been trying to lose all that again. I have lost about 25lbs, but I've been plateauing for about a year now, which is very discouraging. I have cut my portion sizes a lot, eat mostly healthy with the occasional binge, and work out about once a week. I know I should work out more, but have a hard time motivating myself to get there. But even with only working out once a week, I feel like I should be getting SOME kind of results from all that I'm doing. Does anyone else go through this? What helps you get to the gym more often? What do you do to keep from binging so much? What keeps you going when you see no results for such a long time?

My experience with weightloss is that I NEED to workout 6 days a week, I have seen others on the forums say they too need to work out to lose weight. Now everyone is different some people may not need to workout as much.

If you are not going to do more than a day a week of workout you need to focus on your foods, do you eat low carb or low GI? From all my reading that tends to help most people.

As far as to help motivate you wehn getting to the gym is find something you LOVE to do not something you force yourself to do. I love to read so I only read my books in the Gym. I also love to walk and my husband and I got a dog this past winter so now every day I also have to get my Dog out for a walk and since she is a puppy I need to take her for a long one. I have gotten to the point in my routine that if I don't get a good amount of movement in of some kind I feel cheated.
  • KMJ2324
    KMJ2324 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how frustrating it is. I often get so angry thinking that if a "regular" person had my diet and fitness regimen they would weigh much less than I do. What is helping to keep me motivated is the thought that I'm *not* like everyone else. I have a medical condition that I have to manage through diet and exercise. These things are not optional if I want to stay healthy. And it's going to be this way for the rest of my life, most likely, so I need to find a sustainable routine that works for me. I actually think of it in terms of my friends who have Celiac or Crohn's disease and need to eat a certain way to stay healthy. I may never get skinny from what I'm doing, but I still have to do it to take care of my health.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have a "workout buddy" - one of my co-workers and we have a pretty set schedule - Tuesday after dinner, Thursday after dinner, and Saturday afternoon. We just text each other when it's time to go. It keeps me motivated to keep going because she's going. And we're so busy talking, the work outs go by quicker.