Kickboard to 30 Laps

Options
Mezzie1024
Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
I miss dancing, hiking, and running. In each, there was always an inherent challenge, and my current routine lacks that push to better myself. So... I decided to create my own challenge.

I learned how to swim last month because swimming doesn't hurt nearly so bad as most activities (there is, unfortunately, some pain associated with it). I suck, though. My cardiovascular health is shot after ten months of very little activity, and swimming is a new exercise entirely, requiring that I develop different muscle groups. I wanted to create a challenge that would gradually get me to swimming competence. Inspired by C25K, I made the following. I may have to adjust it if the increments are unrealistic, but it looks doable. I did stage 1 for the first time this morning, and it made my half hour of swimming super fun since I had a goal to meet.

Here it is for any other people for whom swimming really is the only cardio option out there. Let me know what you think! :smile:

Kickboard to 30 Laps (K2-30L?)

STAGE 1
Warm up: two laps with kickboard

Freestyle two laps
Kickboard two laps
Breast stroke two laps
Backstroke two laps

Repeat until you have been swimming for 30 minutes. Stay at stage 1 until you can do the entire workout without stopping between (or during!) laps.

STAGE 2

Freestyle three laps
Kickboard three laps
Breast stroke two laps
Backstroke two laps

Repeat until you have been swimming for 30 minutes. Stay at stage 2 until you can do the entire workout without stopping between (or during!) laps.

STAGE THREE

Freestyle three laps
Kickboard two laps
Breast stroke three laps
Backstroke two laps

Repeat until you have been swimming for 30 minutes. Stay at stage 3 until you can do the entire workout without stopping between (or during!) laps.

STAGE FOUR

Freestyle four laps
Kickboard two laps
Breast stroke four laps
Backstroke two laps

Repeat until you have been swimming for 30 minutes. Stay at stage 4 until you can do the entire workout without stopping between (or during!) laps.

STAGE 5

Freestyle four laps
Kickboard two laps
Breast stroke four laps
Backstroke two laps
Butterfly two laps
Backstroke two laps

Repeat until you have been swimming for 30 minutes. Stay at stage 5 until you can do the entire workout without stopping between (or during!) laps.

STAGE 6

Freestyle two laps
Breast stroke two laps
Backstroke two laps
Butterfly two laps
Kickboard two laps

Repeat until you have been swimming for 30 minutes or 30 laps. Stay at stage 6 until you can do the entire workout without stopping between (or during!) laps.

STAGE 7
IMs!

1lap each:

Freestyle
Breastroke
Backstroke
Butterfly

Repeat until you have been swimming for 30 minutes or 30 laps. Stay at stage 7 until you can do the entire workout without stopping between (or during!) laps.

STAGE 8 AND BEYOND
Work on speed, endurance, and form.

Replies

• 9ofthem
    9ofthem Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How great to be able to go swimming! I haven't been in years because I can't find a pool close by. Then there's the logistics of my entourage. Lol. I love swimming. It is definitely working muscle groups you don't really push in your daily life. I love how it really helps with expanding the breathing. I feel like a fairy in the water and a slug on land. Ha ha.
  • Mezzie1024
    Options
    I am very grateful there's something I can do. Luckily, I have a neighborhood pool and a gym pool nearby. :)
  • Mezzie1024
    Options
    The butterfly didn't hurt my ankle nearly so much today. Maybe there's hope that that stroke won't be off limits!
  • 9ofthem
    Options
    woo hoo!
  • Mezzie1024
    Options
    It's a hot Saturday. I'm afraid there won't be any free lanes at the gym today. Still, I'll give it a shot.
  • 9ofthem
    Options
    Still swimming?
  • Mezzie1024
    Options
    Yep! I was traveling and swam almost every day. Right now it's so hot I'm not very motivated to get to the pool (you would think the heat would be motivating, but no), but when evening comes I hope to not feel so lethargic.
  • 9ofthem
    Options
    Glad you are still at it. Is is hard to keep up our enthusiasm when anything gets in the way. Good work sticking to your goals.