Running watches

Options
13»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For running and for limited cycling use (support speed/cadence sensor), the Garmin 620. I love mine and I don't at all mind wearing the HRM strap. I do some mountain trail running - maybe the Fenix or other watches with 'return to start' navigation would have been nice, but I'm quite ok with distance and my own trail sense. So far. We'll see.

Or if you are into trialthon (or some ultra marathons) now or down the road the 920XT will do all that plus swimming and give you more battery life (ultra fans note).

That new FR225 definitely looks interesting though. If your passion leans to running the 620 offers a few more features. If you are looking for activity tracking (I use my phone for steps/general moving about) then the FR225 has the edge. Cost: FR225. Or an older Garmin running watch could provide very good value too.

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Love my Fenix 2. Definitely the Fenix 3 would be worth every penny. Any with Garmin's HRM-Run strap is great for a runner wanting a great running watch, because of the running metrics it provides.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. I have the FR220 and this looks like a good alternative instead of replacing the entire unit. My current chest strap HRM has been doing some really wonky things lately. It's been giving me insanely high readings at the beginning of my run and it slowly drops down to where it should be, but it takes about 5 minutes to get there. It also struggles to pick up my heart rate sometimes. Yesterday I had it on and it was reading my HR fine for about 5 minutes prior to starting my run. Then I started it and the HR shot up to 192. Does anyone know if this could be the battery?

My older one was doing that and, even after replacing the battery, would struggle. Wonky results or just intermittent data. The strap was about 6 years old, so I figured it was just plain worn out after the years of use and abuse. I wholly replaced it with another Garmin strap. The battery that was installed in the strap when it shipped corroded after about 3 months of use, but I was able to clean up the terminals and, thankfully, none of the internals was damaged that I can tell and it seems to be working again.

Thanks, by the way, to the responses on the Mio heart rate tech. It's something that I'll keep in mind when I go to replace the watch.