Weird Nose Issue

Options
CaseySteenport
CaseySteenport Posts: 41 Member
Ok this is going to sound weird, but bear with me.

I've been doing some type of long distance / marathon running for a few years now, but have only recently begun to notice this. After a somewhat long run, say 8+ miles or so, I notice that my nose feels kind of like when you accidentally get dunked under water and get it up your nose. You know that feeling? Kind of a burning almost?

I noticed also that my nose runs more during the actual run than usual. I moved to Colorado from Austin, TX last Fall, so maybe the dry air or spring flowers has something to do with that?

Anyways, curious if anyone else has had this issue or other nose issues during their runs.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Allergies. Take a Claritin.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Seconding allergies. Try taking benadryl or claritin a little while before you head out, and bring tissues so you can blow on the go. The burning may also be from the drier air, but you're probably fairly well adapted by now if you've been there since the fall.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It's gross, but I survived last winter training outdoors in a pair of cheap fingerless gloves. They were handy for wiping away the constantly runny nose.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My nose runs like crazy when I run this time of year due to allergies. I used to just "blow and go" but that gave me a bloody nose on and off for days after the run. Someone suggested that I carry a hanky with me - it works.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I get a runny, itchy nose while running this time of year. Sounds like seasonal allergies. And I must be grosser than @mzbek24 because I forgo the gloves and go for the snot rocket/wipe hand on shorts method of nasal mucous removal.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Could be elevation related maybe?