extremely restricted gout diet

Options
debbs453
debbs453 Posts: 7 Member
my doctor has put me on a very restricted diet for my gout. meat poultry and fish restricted to 3 ounces per day, legumes restricted to one third cup per day. there are several other restrictions but the protein is the biggest. most of my protein will need to come from low fat dairy and eggs. I have a sensitivity to soy. so I don't drink soy milk or eat tofu. small amounts in other foods has never been a problem.

anyone else have similar dietary restrictions? and how do you handle them within the Nutrisystem guidelines?

Replies

• mslesam
    mslesam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't know if he told you but cherries are great for gout.
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Sorry-I'm clueless. But I wish you well with your health!
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mslesam wrote: »
    Don't know if he told you but cherries are great for gout.

Hi Lesa
    I have heard that
    Roger
    debbs453 wrote: »
    my doctor has put me on a very restricted diet for my gout. meat poultry and fish restricted to 3 ounces per day, legumes restricted to one third cup per day. there are several other restrictions but the protein is the biggest. most of my protein will need to come from low fat dairy and eggs. I have a sensitivity to soy. so I don't drink soy milk or eat tofu. small amounts in other foods has never been a problem.

anyone else have similar dietary restrictions? and how do you handle them within the Nutrisystem guidelines?

Hi I had my first attack of gout back in the 70s. FWIW I do take Allopurinol. I just follow the NutriSystem Mens D plan. I do have a NutriSystem Protein Shake every Morning as a part of my Breakfast. I also use a 1/2 cup of Low Fat Milk in the NS Cereals along with a Banana When they get to ripe to eat as a stand alone fruit. I also Blend the very ripe Bananas into a Vanilla Protein Shake and that makes a delicious PowerFuel and SmartCarb serving.

Also if You go to the NS Forums while they are still available to read, they are in a read Only mode for now. Use the Advanced search Box and search with the word Gout in the title only setting and a bunch of posts will come up.

See Next Post
  • RogerToo
    Options
    From these messages:
    http://boards.members.nutrisystem.com/showthread.php?173926-Gout&highlight=Gout

Hi PBAProBowler

The Nutrisystem meals do not contain significant amounts of purines. Some studies have shown that not all purine containing foods are associated with a gout attack. Gout attacks have been linked to rapid weight loss. If you would like to go over your program, give us a call at 1-800-585-5483 ext 1341.

Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com
    And here
    http://boards.members.nutrisystem.com/showthread.php?231761-Gout&highlight=Gout

Hi bagelguy,
    Low purine diets have been shown to be minimally effective but do follow your doctor's recommendations for eliminating any particular foods. Some high purine foods are alcohol (beer in particular), red meat, seafood, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, cauliflower, dried beans and oatmeal. Adding low fat dairy foods has been recommended.
    A healthy weight is beneficial for controlling gout but it is recommended not to lose too rapidly. Plenty of fluids, especially water, and exercise are important.

Nutrition & Dietary Services

Also Call the NutriSystem Dietary Services
    Mon –Sun
    7am - 12am EST

Dietary Services
    1-800-585-5483

Good Luck
    Roger
    vqivar950p9y.jpg
    HxEv8k.jpgeZzyRL
    My Fitnesspal links
    Nutrisystem Group Users
    Roger's Useful Links
    Abbreviations commonly used[
    NutriSystem Food Reviews Group

Other Links
    I just visited a Ghost Town this morning
    NS Foods for sale Posts
    100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)
    Notice that the ticker only records in 1 pound increments,
    and shows my loss since I joined NutriSystem and not My Fitness Pal
    :)
    88672520.png
  • debbs453
    debbs453 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Roger.

I think my doc is reluctant to start meds. Basic gout diet did not reduce attacks. Weight loss does exacerbate it. Nutrasystem dietitian told me that NS was not recommended given my restrictions. I do know about the alcohol, seafoods, higher purine veggies.... The biggest challenge is the change in protein sources.

I am going to learn to flex and transition off NS not only because of the gout but because I just got laid off today.
  • dharris1014
    dharris1014 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My husband had gout, and yes cherries work, however you get more effect if you go to the health food store and get cherry extract pills, they are more potent and react quicker than eating expensive cherries.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks Roger.

I think my doc is reluctant to start meds. Basic gout diet did not reduce attacks. Weight loss does exacerbate it. Nutrasystem dietitian told me that NS was not recommended given my restrictions. I do know about the alcohol, seafoods, higher purine veggies.... The biggest challenge is the change in protein sources.

I am going to learn to flex and transition off NS not only because of the gout but because I just got laid off today.

So sorry to hear of you being laid off, that is like a double whammy. I hope that you are able to work through the dietary problems and that the work issue is resolved soon:)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Thanks Roger.

Hi Debbs
    I am sorry to hear about Your double whammy. At least the NutriSystem dietitian was honest with You and did not try and retain You anyway.

Good Luck
    Roger