Running 2 marathons in 2 days

Options
Hi, August 15th I'm running a 13.3 mile half marathon (+.02) The Pikes Peak Ascent. It's up a 14,115' mountain. The Vertical gain is 7,815 ' . The average grade is 11%. Oxygen levels are reduce which makes this trail race unique. The race has about 1,800 runners.

On August 16th I'm running the Pikes Peak Marathon (26.2). Same mountain just up and back down. One of the toughest marathons in the world. This race has 800 qualified runners. The two together is called the " Pikes Peak Double !" There is 185 qualified doublers this year, I am one of them. The Pikes Peak Marathon is the 3rd oldest marathon and this year is the 60th anniversary.

The 2 day total will be 39.5 miles, 15,630 ' vertical gain. My goal is a combined time under 10 hours.
I'm in the middle of my training block, I log my training, my nutrition. I post daily, weekly, and monthly updates as well as goals. I'm currently injury free and running strong.

If anyone would like to follow along, offer support, get support , give tips, get tips, just send me a friend request.

Charlie

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    So what's required to qualify for this madness?
    FR sent :)
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    well. Wow. You sir.... are a sir. Good luck!!!

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I hiked up it. Down was worse. Way worse (but you didn't feel it until day 2...then I had to crawl on my stomach to the bathroom!!! Haha!)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Get ready to zig zag a lot.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    That sounds like it will be an incredible experience! My hat is off to you and all those runners! Good luck to you.

There's a local race here in the Houston area that has that challenge. Houston is very flat, so the difficulty is no where close to yours. It's called the Seabrook Trail Challenge. 47 runners finished it this year. I did the sister challenge, Pelican Challenge - two halfs in 2 days, in March. 104 of us finished that one.

In other words, when you want a piece of cake challenge, come to the one here! ;)
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    So what's required to qualify for this madness?
    FR sent :)

http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/Qualifying.shtml
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You are certifiably insane. :) Good luck, sounds AWESOME!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I think that run sounds insane. I learned about it reading a runners blog by someone who did the 26.2 up and down. I can run a half right now, but I can't imagine doing THAT half yet. Maybe some day.

Best wishes on your dream double!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You certainly are not sane. I would like to point out one issue though. You are not running two marathons in two days as you subject states. A marathon is 26.2 miles. You are running a HM plus a smidge and an marathon.

Best of luck on your endeavor.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »
    You certainly are not sane. I would like to point out one issue though. You are not running two marathons in two days as you subject states. A marathon is 26.2 miles. You are running a HM plus a smidge and an marathon.

Yea I think I made it pretty clear in my comment what I was running, The subject was a catch phase to gather attention, If I mislead you I apologize hopefully nobody else is confused.
    " Running 2 marathons in 2 days" or " running a HM plus a smidge and an marathon. "

Thanks for encouragement
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yea I agree with Carson, the title was misleading, at first.

I signed up for Pike's full year, but had opt out due to my poor Achilles that would not agree with the uphill training. I would like to do it some day, but it looks like it will be unlikely.

Have fun! While, I have done a half and full back to back, it surely was not at Pike's elevation gain.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I drove up that mountain once and got tired...this will be quite the awesome feat. I look forward to reading about it. But PLEASE don't use a misleading title. (sarcasm)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Yea I think I made it pretty clear in my comment what I was running, The subject was a catch phase to gather attention, If I mislead you I apologize hopefully nobody else is confused.
    " Running 2 marathons in 2 days" or " running a HM plus a smidge and an marathon. "

Thanks for encouragement

It's not that it's confusing. It's just not what you are doing, regardless of your intent. A marathon only covers one distance, period. Calling any other race distance a marathon is an untruth. Some people, myself including, think that is a pretty important distinction and make sure that it's clear every chance we have.

But, I digress. I don't want to take away any more from the enormity of what you are doing. Kudos to you.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I looked at it the same way you might view someone talking about the 5k marathon they are doing this weekend.
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Lol I thought it was funny too :-) I did the goody challenge. (Half one day & full the next). I set my marathon PR there. The distances weren't too bad if you're an experienced marathoner. All I added to my training was 2 back to bsck double digit long runs (17 & 11) & (19 & 13). However, disney is pancake flat. As for these crazy elevation changes & trail/climbing mountains & back down, that would completely destroy me :-/ no advice there.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Fair play to you! someone here posted before about pikes peak I was nearly in tears reading it! looking foward to hearing how you get on.

Saw another post mention a challenge in Texas, so here is one from Ireland, 4 marathons in 4 days on the Inishowen peninsula, which is a very wild and beautiful part of Donegal. I would love to do it, the medals for the 4 fulls are amazing! maybe in a few years time to celebrate turning the big 4 0 .

http://www.extremenorthevents.com/quadrathon-4-half-full-marathons/
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    OMG are you trying to kill yourself lol. Looking forward to hearing all about your mad weekend, hope you'll have enough energy left to type up your report. Good luck.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

Thanks for encouragement

It's not that it's confusing. It's just not what you are doing, regardless of your intent. A marathon only covers one distance, period. Calling any other race distance a marathon is an untruth. Some people, myself including, think that is a pretty important distinction and make sure that it's clear every chance we have.

But, I digress. I don't want to take away any more from the enormity of what you are doing. Kudos to you.

Omg. Get over yourself dude.

To the OP: I think this might make you superman. Lol. I'd love to follow your adventure, and hear about your training!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    jdelot wrote: »
    Very cool! I drove up that mountain once and got tired...this will be quite the awesome feat. I look forward to reading about it. But PLEASE don't use a misleading title. (sarcasm)

:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.