Finally approved!

pennysteed
pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
I was finally approved for my sleeve this afternoon. At this point, all I know is that it will be mid-July due to staffing issues. I should have the exact date next week. I was told that I need to lose 15 pounds by then. That makes me nervous, since I have yet to be able to lose more than 5 pounds at all in the past 3 years. I am hoping with family visiting and being finally out of school for the summer, that I can take the time to concentrate on me and prepare for this next step.

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    You got this! Best wishes on your new journey!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Yay! You were approved! Did they give you a nutrition program to follow? Logging your food on MFP could help, too--- you can get an idea of where you are intake-wise and where you need to be in order to have 15 off by July.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Congrats! I have not regretted my decision to be sleeved. Try to start eating more like you will after surgery. Protein & veggies, a little bit of fruit. Get rid of sugared drinks, such as pop or juices. Try to get as much activity/exercise in as you can. You can and will take off the 15 lbs and be successful!
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    My doctor has not given me a nutrition plan yet. I have already cut soda, candy, and chips back to the occasional treat. I drink either ice water or my morning coffee. I have been trying to include extra fruits and veggies in my diet since that is a hard thing for me to eat. My main thing is to add activity to my schedule. Now that I am out of school (just earned my Masters) and am no longer on call to substitute teach, I can finally schedule my days for me. I am resuming my daily weigh-ins and have started wearing my pedometer again. All I can do is my best.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    At 2 lbs per week (not knowing what your starting weight is and what your ultimate goal is), you can lose those 15lbs by then :smile:
  • maureenkirah
    maureenkirah Posts: 11 Member
    Mine put me on 800 cals. No more than 40 grams of carbs. And zero starch carbs. 15 grams of fat or less. The rest protien. Only fruit is berries or melons. No more than half a cup a day. I did that for two weeks. Then a week of full liquids. High protein and a week of clear liquids. My surgery is in 5 days. I've lost 34 lbs that way.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    pennysteed wrote: »
    My doctor has not given me a nutrition plan yet. I have already cut soda, candy, and chips back to the occasional treat. I drink either ice water or my morning coffee. I have been trying to include extra fruits and veggies in my diet since that is a hard thing for me to eat. My main thing is to add activity to my schedule. Now that I am out of school (just earned my Masters) and am no longer on call to substitute teach, I can finally schedule my days for me. I am resuming my daily weigh-ins and have started wearing my pedometer again. All I can do is my best.

Congrats on your masters!!! Sounds like you are on the right track with what you are cutting back on. Adding activity is great for yoru health- but for weight loss, really it is 85-90% diet. My suggestion is you focus on eating lean proteins and veggies as much as possible- that will def. help with weight loss. :)
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    sounds like you've got a plan to lose the 15 lbs. the only other major change will be to cut out the caffeine, yes I know - I hated giving up the coffee too. start slowly by substituting decaf for part of your regular coffee and slowly increasing the amount of decaf until you no longer are drinking regular coffee
  • bookerlr
    bookerlr Posts: 51 Member
    Congrats on your approval. I agree with eating lean protein and veggies. My diet was to eat under 100 carbs a day. I think that's more liberal than most.