Is 30 min on the elliptical really captured on FB?

Options
cvpastore
cvpastore Posts: 30 Member
It's captured in steps, but is it accurate calorie count? When I'm jogging, elliptical or something step based, I'm now not logging any of them and just letting FB send over adjustments based on steps instead of l logging them in MFP but I miss seeing the exercise trend. (holy run on sentence) Anyway, what are the benefits of logging step based in MFP OR Fitbit vs. not?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I never log anything step based - walking, running, Zumba. I just let my Fitbit handle it. I've never used an elliptical, but while I think I've seen some people say that they feel the Fitbit does a good job of handling it, I've seen others say that it doesn't and needs to be logged manually. My guess is that you might be able to trust your Fitbit's numbers for the elliptical if you have an HR model (Charge HR or Surge) but not any of the others. On the rare occasions when I do some exercise that isn't primarily step-based, I log it in Fitbit, not MFP.
    cvpastore wrote: »
    I miss seeing the exercise trend

If you want a status update posted for your exercise, post a manual one. If you want to see details on your exercise, look at your Fitbit dashboard or app.
    It's captured in steps, but is it accurate calorie count? When I'm jogging, elliptical or something step based, I'm now not logging any of them and just letting FB send over adjustments based on steps instead of l logging them in MFP but I miss seeing the exercise trend. (holy run on sentence) Anyway, what are the benefits of logging step based in MFP OR Fitbit vs. not?

If you haven't read it yet, I recommend you read this FAQ, which can also be found in the stickies for the group. It addresses the logging in Fitbit vs. MFP issue.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

You have three choices:
    • Don't log it.
    • Log it in Fitbit.
    • Log it in MFP.

The only upside to #3 is it appears in your newsfeed. To get the best of both worlds, choose #1 or 2, and post your exercise as a status update.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is only as accurate as the data provided. Is everything in Fitbit setup correctly? (Height, weight, stride length, gender, age). If yes, then it is reasonably correct. Nothing will be both affordable and perfect, but it is close enough to be reliable for weight loss purposes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Elliptical will not be accurate for steps or calorie burn based on impacts seen - unless you do your movements very carefully so each step is seen. And that may not be an intensity that is really a workout, or a natural movement that you could do very long without injury.
    But even then, the calorie burn is calculated on walking or running the steps, distance, and pace seen.
    But those formulas are NOT valid for elliptical "steps" and "distance".

Need to manually log it, unless using the HR models. As above, Fitbit logging gives option of intensity that MFP doesn't.