Arroz con Pollo (SS Lunch)

Options
spamanda53
spamanda53 Posts: 86 Member
I will admit that I am writing this review while not entirely having my mind made up about it yet. haha

When I first opened the pouch it was a lot "gummier" than I anticipated. I thought it might loosen up a bit as it cooked but it came out of the microwave still quite sticky. A bit of chicken stock/broth might help loosen it up - either by adding some before cooking or cooking it in the lunch crock.

It had a bit of a smell when I first opened it (and after heating it), it wasn't bad but just unexpected. It also had a bit of an unexpected taste - again not bad just unexpected. I think maybe I was expecting it to be bland and just rice with chicken (as the name suggests haha), but it had some actual flavor to it. Looking at the ingredients it is possible that it is the "smoke flavoring" that I am tasting - although my very first impression of the taste was that it was a tad citrus tasting. Again, not really a BAD taste or smell just not what I was expecting - although I will admit that I don't have much experience with Latin food (Mexican / TexMex all the way!) so for all I know it is a traditional Latin taste/flavor.

The chicken pieces, while they were not as numerous as one might assume from the picture they were fairly large pieces and they were not dried out.

I have one more to try and I will make sure to do so before my next BBB closes. As it stands now, I would probably order 2 or 3 of these each BBB just for a change of pace from the pasta cup lunches I order.

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda
    Thank You for the review. I can see where they would be a good change from the lunch cups. I like the Red Beans and Rice for that reason.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    Happy Weekend

I had this for lunch with two slices of WW Whole Wheat bread @ 40 calories per slice.

I rate this a 5 out of 5!
    I am not unhappy I ordered 4 of these and I will be re-ordering when I use them up. :)

Give it a try, You should like it.
    Roger
  • cenandra
    cenandra Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This is one I will not be buying again. I felt it had a strange taste maybe it was the smoky flavoring, but either way I am scratching that one off my list. :smirk:
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Please Ignore my previous post, I must have been having an Off day, that was meant for different entree
    Roger

Here is My review of this entree

Happy Weekend
    I rate this a 4.5 out of 5!
    I am not unhappy I ordered 4 of these and I will be re-ordering when I use them up. :)
    There was a decent amount of Chicken in several fairly large chunks. Not hot like I was afraid it might be either. It had what I think of as a Mexican food taste.

Give it a try, You could like it.
    Roger

P.S. maybe this will help decide. For example I like the Mexican-Style Tortilla Soup Lunch Cup but did not like
    the Chicken Tortilla Soup Pull Tab Dinner

Arroz con Pollo
    176eyuhvoba2.jpg
    Take a tasty trip with this Latin-inspired lunch, featuring flame-broiled chicken breast and long grain brown rice with the delicious veggie combo of tomatoes, onions, peppers and peas. This classic dish embodies a fantastic medley of flavor that's sure to leave you singing its praises long after lunch is over.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 Package 6 Ounces
    Servings Per Container 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 200
    Calories from Fat 30
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 3.0g 5%
    Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 25mg 8%
    Sodium 420mg18%
    Total Carbohydrate 28g 9%
    Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 14g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Calcium 4%
    Iron 8%
    OK for Diabetic
  • mrs17alvarez
    mrs17alvarez Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Had this for the first time today, but not sure I liked the flavor of this one. I honestly couldn't even pinpoint what the flavoring was, but it just wasn't very tasty. I think I have one more in my stash so maybe I'll try to doctor it up with a little hot sauce or something, but I don't think I'll reorder this one.
  • dharris1014
    dharris1014 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I are this for the first time, my first thought is it smelled like it would be spivey. However, I found out differently. It was good, I would say a 4 out of 5.