Favourite/Least Favourite 5 x 5 Lift?

Options
JamBlaze
JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
Mine:

Best - Squats. Love them! Helps that I have strong legs, so they're probably the "easiest" move for me, but I also love how it so obviously works my whole body.

Least - Row. I'm really struggling with form on this one, it's so tempting to curl in my wrists as I push out. Also: Trying to avoid boobs. Argghhh!

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Interesting. I think squats, because I get to practice them every time, and deloaded to work on form, is probably the one I feel most confident on.

I love the feeling of picking up something very heavy with deadlifts but at the moment I'm a bit scared of it because of form. So hoping that will become a favourite!

Rows I know my form sucks, so that is frustrating.

Pendlay rows I just get through, they definitely aren't a favourite.

And OHPs feel amazing when you get them done, but so frustrating with the slowness of progress.

I guess the answer is whichever I'm struggling with is my least favourite!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    At the moment - floor presses - just doesn't feel very effective...

But hopefully when we pick up my bench - I can do bench presses!

Also not loving power cleans either - still not quite sure about the pull up bit on these, when you seem to go on your toes! (maybe another few how to videos need watched for this)

Squats = love! these just make me feel strong as do deadlifts.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    My form pretty much sucks at it all, I guess, but I try to improve it.

My favorite must be the squats as well. I get to do them- obviously- every time, so that is where the progress comes first. I´m also very fond of OHP, even though I can barely do it with the oly barbell. It´s the most challenging along with the bench, I like that.

My worst? Definetely the deadlift. My form is awfull and I think it´s so frustrating because that´s probably where I´m most impatient. I want results. Lol

I know that I have to work hard on form. When I´m done, I feel like going through it all again. I really enjoy it!! :o)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Favorite - Deadlift

Best - Bench

Least Favorite - Row which is why I don't do them as a regular lift and do other back work in my own program. I will start adding them back in when my dislike of them subsides because they are a good lift to do.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I hate rows.

the end.

I like OHP because I know I'm stronger than average at it and I like getting the weight over my head.

Rows- I have some sort of mild shoulder injury that I've had for about a year. If my arms flare out at all when I pull back during rows, it hurts. When my form is good and I pull my elbows striaght back, it feels fine. So just about every first set, it flares out and I get an "ouch" moment. But after I'm warmed up after a couple sets and get my form right it's fine. it just makes me scared to advance to heavier weights and I've been slower to increase in rows than any other exercise. I've heard that power cleans work the same muscles as rows, but I'm not 100% sure on form for those.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Deadlift
    Least favorite: Rows but only because I hate setting up for them (stacking plates on the floor and pulling from those). I think once I hit 135lbs and can use the big plates, I won't hate them as much. :tongue:
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Favorite=deadlifts!

strongly dislike=OHP probably because they are just so hard to progress on
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Bench (cause I feel like a beast with good form)

Least favorite: OHP (my arch nemesis, but I'm gonna make it my beach next week)

: ) I'm starting to like them all more and more though, as I'm still new at SL.
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Favorite: squat and deadlift runs a close second
    Least: OHP... I did manage to go up on weight this week though so I'm happy about that...
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Favorite is Deadlifts

Least favorite is squats!! I HATE them.....my hip flexors hate them more:)
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    Favorite is Deadlifts

Least favorite is squats!! I HATE them.....my hip flexors hate them more:)

I love Deadlifts too! Plus, only doing 1x5 makes them seem easier than they are :P

I was having hip issues with squats too, so I recently switched to front squats, and hopefully that will help!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Best/Favorite - Deadlifts! Love 'em!

Least Favorite - Squats. Hate 'em because they're a weak lift for me. :(
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My fave is deadlifts, probably because they are "easy" for me.
    I hate squats. Hate them. Because they are hard.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    From most favorite to most hated:

Deadlifts! Was able to DL my bodyweight after only 4 weeks.
    Squats Challenging but getting better, and make me feel like a badass.
    Bench Already surpassed half my BW, so feeling good.
    Rows Meh. Just don't like 'em.
    OHP Hate them with the heat of a thousand white hot suns. Can't even get 5x5 at 35 yet. :(
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are my favourite. The biggest numbers, and the most straightforward lift (or so it feels to me).

Bench is my least favourite. Feels more risky and worrying, and it feels wrong to lie down to do it! I've actually left it out for now, and only use dumbbells now and then.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Best - Squat.
    Favourite - Bench - I just feel really badass doing it.
    Least favourite/Worst - Row - I never feel like my form is right and I struggle to progress.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    I hated rows when I did them. Thanks to Rippetoe I was inspired to replace them with cleans. Turned out I was actually doing them wrong. The proper way is to do "Pendlay Rows"

My favorite is the squat.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me - I LOVE Pendlay rows. They make me feel so powerful, and I never see anybody else doing them at my gym, so it makes me feel all badass and superior when I bust out a set or 5. :smile:

Least favorite - used to be OHP, but I think I am finally figuring out the form on these. Right now I don't really have a least favorite, just a bunch of lifts that I need to refine my form on. First up, benches.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I hate rows, and I love deads as they are my best lift. For some reason I am freakishly strong with them. Rawr!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Squat (because they make me feel STRONG)

Least Favorite: Rows (I never feel like I get them exactly right--looking forward to getting the form down so I can start to love them❤)