How often do you take OTC pain meds?

Options
2»

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Very Rarely, I'm 46 and running around 70 miles a week. If you're having to take them too often there could be an issue rather than attempt to cover it up maybe try and solve the problem (which could be as simple as different shoes) would be my advice

That's some awesome weekly mileage you're clocking! Are you training for anything?
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and run between 60-80km per week. I only had to take ibuprofen when I had a running relate overuse injury, but then I also saw a sports therapist and I had to rest from running for three weeks. Otherwise never.
  • PavementRunner
    PavementRunner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Very rarely, if ever. Of course, I have been lucky and had no real pain other than standard muscle soreness and fatigue and occasional VERY minor shin pain.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I must admit. I am rather surprised to read so many who say they never use. I thought it was a rather common practice. I mean, I am not sure I have ever done it for a simple run. But i certainly have for my sports activities -- tennis, soccer, etc.
    I was pretty sure everybody did.
    Good to know. It seems that NSAID use before exercise, or while healing from a soft-tissue injury is not a good idea.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Rarely these days. I used to pop a handful of assorted painkillers after my bull rides, when I used to rodeo, though that was more to be able to enjoy the after party. Definitely not a smart thing.
    Bad headaches these days will end up with some panadol(paracetamol) anything muscular is usually grin and bare it.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Almost never, the exception being when I have a headache I can't shake.

I am exactly the same! Even for headaches, pain killers are a last resort. Usually caffeine or sleep solves the problem for me.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I must admit. I am rather surprised to read so many who say they never use. I thought it was a rather common practice. I mean, I am not sure I have ever done it for a simple run. But i certainly have for my sports activities -- tennis, soccer, etc.
    Good to know. It seems that NSAID use before exercise, or while healing from a soft-tissue injury is not a good idea.

Pain is an indicator of something wrong, injured, or overused. Taking pain meds masks the symptom but doesn't 'fix' anything. Taking pain meds can actually worsen an injury by hiding what your body is trying to tell you.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »

Pain is an indicator of something wrong, injured, or overused. Taking pain meds masks the symptom but doesn't 'fix' anything. Taking pain meds can actually worsen an injury by hiding what your body is trying to tell you.

Thank you for clarifying that. I guess I wasn't clear.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and (knock on wood) I do not have any daily aches and pains to contend with. Race effort ultras of 50 miles or more with a lot of climbing means my legs ache enough that I can't sleep. Pain meds take the edge off so that I can rest. It's pretty specific situations when I choose to use them. But the day to day stuff almost never.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Very Rarely, I'm 46 and running around 70 miles a week. If you're having to take them too often there could be an issue rather than attempt to cover it up maybe try and solve the problem (which could be as simple as different shoes) would be my advice

That's some awesome weekly mileage you're clocking! Are you training for anything?

@michellemybelll I have a 50 miler in July.

@tufel
    I think 10 years ago it was more common I think now people have more knowledge and are also thinking of the long term possible effects
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I recently had an interesting experience where a general practitioner recommended using an NSAID, while a sports medicine doctor said just to rest it and avoid the painkiller/anti-inflammatory.

My general rule is I don't medicate unless it would clearly provide worthy benefit. In that case I did not have any reason to believe a painkiller/anti-inflammatory would speed up the healing process (which was what I was looking to do), so I did not take any.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I try to stay away from them, because I don't want to become reliant. But, I occasionally succumb to an Aleve for some tendonitis that flares up in my foot. *Edit - Maybe 2 per month during my longer running months. Generally I try to keep up with post run stretching and foam rolling for most of my aches and pains, which are primarily muscle and tendon related.