Hi Just joined and need help attaining goal :)

Options
Hi
Well, I have always battled my weight and now that menopause has set in, things are getting even more difficult around here. I just don't have the same energy I used to and not having a great body image doesn't help either. Now, that I am of a "certain age and weight" I avoid functions at pools, beaches and anywhere a bathing suit or shorts maybe appropriate attire. I have a Oldenburg mare whom I adore and try to ride four days a week. I would be lost without her. I have a very intense career in sales and marketing and clients own my time. Any one have words of wisdom for this crazy horsewoman? Right now, I am trying to carve time early in my day to walk my dogs and workout on the elliptical.
I am also trying to clean up my diet with
A) No alcohol or refined sugars
B) make food choices such as lean proteins, veggies and fruits.
C) I am trying to carry Protein drinks or bars with me for meals on the go.

Replies

• suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the adventure! The best help I could suggest is your food diary, and the support system you can find here. And staying under your calories, of course! :laugh:

I certainly won't claim to be any weight loss expert, but it sounds like you're on the right track. For me, the first month was by far the hardest. I just wanted to EAT, and I took things minute by minute sometimes. I went on walks strictly because I wanted to eat more food and I hated every minute. I got over that though, and now I kind of almost enjoy being mindful about my food choices, it's strange. And walking makes the inside of my brain a happier place to be!

I've learned a lot using the tools MFP has to offer. I never knew that you could eat more if you exercise. I know this isn't ground breaking news, but it had never been said to me that way before. The food diary has helped me learn about balancing my macros, and it's helped me learn better choices along the way. Protein and fiber are my new friends, they help me stay full longer!

What discipline do you ride your mare in? I have coveted many an Oldenburg in my day! I currently ride a fuzzy, little, and kind of stinky pony type mustang (who is the love of my life), and we go on trail rides and horse camping. I'm on this journey to lose weight so I can one day kinda soon step back into a jumping saddle and take lessons at a really nice local barn!
  • Muff51
    Muff51 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi and thank you for your reply
    Congratulations on your weight loss and newly found sense of self. Your pony sounds very cute and quite rugged. My mare is a hunter type and quite broad at the beam with a rather refined moose head. She rules my world and enjoys that position in life. I would love to lose weight to lighten her load, as well. She is in her late teens and on rainy days a bit stiff and arthritic.
    Yesterday was quite difficult as I was obsessed with food. STARVING just doesn't even describe the condition. I tried to lightly graze through the day and made very good food choices. The night time is the hardest as boredom sets in and the stress of the day weighs heavy.But, today is a new day to practice new habits!
    Thank you for the advice and have a wonderful day in your neck of the world.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things. It'll take time an perseverance, but that's why this site is so good because you make friends with like minded people who encourage you all the way.

I'm now 26lbs lighter for my 14.3, 21 year old mare and I'm sure she appreciates it. Did you know you can eat for menopause to help balance the hormones? These is also a menopause group on here...and not everyone is crabby lol.

Feel free to dd me to your friends list :happy:
  • karenk2f
    karenk2f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Water! Drink lot's of water! I felt just like you at the beginning. MUST EAT! But I found as I drank more water and got up to where I was drinking the recommended amounts, some of those cravings diminished. I also found that if I stayed on 'schedule' for awhile in the beginning my hunger wasn't as bad. For me: Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and lighter snack, all around the same time of day and all with some kind of protein. And it's been said before: use this website to your advantage. This site has been pivotal to reaching my goals and will continue to be long after I am where I want to be. It is a matter of finding the right combination of food and exercise that works for you. Your horse sounds wonderful. Good luck...you can do this!!
  • Muff51
    Options
    My word, thank you so much for all of the words of support and congratulations on your success stories. Water, okay making mental note as I suppose tea isn't quite the same. Did any of you give up caffeine?
    Have a great day!
  • karenk2f
    karenk2f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Plain tea (no sugar, cream, etc.) is probably okay...What I found worked for me was the fact that if I drank anything but water, I was losing calories I could be eating. I wanted to maximize the calories I could eat. (I like food, A LOT!) Since I have started this, I have given up all other beverages but water. (I do have an occasional drink other than water but not very often.) Just some thoughts.
  • Muff51
    Options
    Hi
    Point made! I generally drink guarana tea with Stevia. I have just read so much about caffeine and its effect on health it has made me question even this seemingly benign concoction? I love that you keep it simple and congrats again on your success.
    All The Best!