Eating back calories through exercise

Options
Just curious what everyone's take is on eating back calories that the Jawbone Up2 gives you in positive adjustment? Do you eat back all, some, none, depends?

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I'm hungry, around half. If I'm not hungry, I don't stress about net calories being low that day.
  • lardo76
    lardo76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Depends if I was highly active or not throughout the day. I am assuming you are though, if it's giving you a positive adjustment. If I am overly hungry, I eat back some but never more than half. Hope this helps you :-)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I eat them all. I lost the weight & have maintained for almost a year.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, then eating back 100% of your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I do have negative calorie adjustments enabled, I saw that I should have that checked off in another thread. It seems that the calorie burns that it records are high though? I'm not sure how trustworthy they are. Ah well. Will play around and see if eating some, all, or none works.

Thank you guys for your input :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I was shocked how big my adjustments were. But as I said, they were 100% accurate. The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your UP for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    It makes sense. But I do eat a fair bit still. MFP has me at 1800 a day. Then I usually eat back about half of what MFP tells me I burned. Well, until I got the Jawbone. Now I suddenly have a lot extra each day where I'm perplexed as to eating them or not. I'm still moving the same amount as I used to, no change there, just now I know step wise how many I'm taking. I have been losing steadily on what I have been doing, so it does seem strange to suddenly have more calories available.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Your UP total burn is TDEE—the number of calories required to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at my up and how it works...I have my weight goal set to lose 5lbs then made it so I would maintain my weight and my calorie allowance on the Jawbone changed accordingly.

I have to think that based on that my total burn with my weight loss goal on my up set to 145 I should be eating all the calories it gives me to eat....when I get to maintenance I will change that goal and eat those calories.
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    So the box should be checked?!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    amwcnw wrote: »
    So the box should be checked?!

Yes. If you disable negative calorie adjustments, you'll never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your activity level.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    Now this is getting confusing. If the total UP burn is the TDEE, then what should I be eating? I have it set on Jawbone that I want to lose weight too so when I view food in the app, it shows me a 500 deficit still. Thus, shouldn't I be able to eat 1800 that MFP gives me and whatever positive adjustment UP gives me?
  • editorgrrl
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have it set on Jawbone that I want to lose weight too so when I view food in the app, it shows me a 500 deficit still. Thus, shouldn't I be able to eat 1800 that MFP gives me and whatever positive adjustment UP gives me?

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. Enable negative calorie adjustments. Ignore your UP calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    So in other words - eat what MFP goal is + UP adjustments.
    Got it ;)