Which supermarket is your favourite?

Options
iona_ellen
iona_ellen Posts: 138 Member
Hi,
I am interested in which supermarket you all choose to go for a weekly shop.
It was mums 'job' then uni life (toast, toast and more toast) but now that I do a weekly shop I struggle to find which one is cheapest and best for more variety and choice.
Which supermarket do you reccomend and why? :smiley:

Replies

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I got to Tesco, because it's generally pretty cheap and has the best selection. I know Asda is cheaper but their fruit and veg sucks and I live too far away from anything else!
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It is take your pick where I live. Also to an extent people shop in the supermarket that is most convenient to where they live.
    We have Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Aldi and the Co-Op. I never shop in Aldi or the Co-Op. My daughter tells me that the vegetables in Aldi are good but not yet tried.
    I tend to do my main big shop in Tesco. They have a good selection, a fresh meat and fresh fish counter. I seem to get more for my money there. I have to drive there but only about 5 minutes.
    I buy nappies + wipes in Sainsburys (own make). I tend to do some shopping there depends if I am going past it. You could walk to it but not if you had a bag to carry. So when I say pass I mean in the car.
    Within walking distance is Waitrose and my husband goes daily for his paper and odds and sods. They tend to have more of the unusual but very expensive. Again, though if I had a heavy bag, I would have to take the car. Literally 2 minutes away.
    Not sure this helps.
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi and Lidl. Lidl has a particularly good bakery section. They are a lot cheaper than the other supermarkets too.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Monthly deliveries from Sainsburys and top-ups from Asda. My nearest supermarket is Lidl, but I don't understand the store layout or products! Having said that, Lidl have sportswear on offer at the moment so I'm going over there to get fat girl stuff cheap - I don't want to spend lots of dosh on something that won't fit for long!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sainsbury's, mainly... and occasionally Iceland for frozen veg.

Still looking for a grocery store here that carries canned pumpkin....
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Waitrose sometimes has the Libby's canned pumpkin, and so does Tesco. I get mine from Amazon, though I wait until the price is reduced and then stock up (it's for my dog!).
  • bluefish86
    Options
    Waitrose sometimes has the Libby's canned pumpkin, and so does Tesco. I get mine from Amazon, though I wait until the price is reduced and then stock up (it's for my dog!).

Ah! Thank you! I'll have to check those out...

The pumpkin is for me really, but my dog has an anxious stomach so sometimes he gets some too. >.< Lol
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    You're welcome :-) It dawned on me just before I started MFP that my dog eats better than me - she gets bison and pumpkin and I got rubbish LOL!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I shop at Morrisons, because I get staff discount there through a friend so it works out cheaper.
  • lili89
    lili89 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I shop mainly in aldi and asda! Really love Aldis vegetables and fresh meat :)
  • Sm1rkY
    Sm1rkY Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Aldi does have great prices, esp fruit and veg, bakery too, but it's too far away for everyday - though I hike there for exercise when I'm in the mood. 4 or 5 miles, one way.

Tesco is the closest so my main shop tends to be from there. It does have a great world section, so American, Caribbean, Asian, if you want to try them. Although that also means their sweets like Hershey's and other chocolate, and Twinkies, are there to tempt you - which can be a problem for me :)
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Aldi hands down. Got some lovely buffalo burgers from there last week.
  • KnickersInATwist
    KnickersInATwist Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Lidl in general do some decent stuff. A quick Tesco run at the end of the day though (I live about 5 minutes walk away) just to see what they've marked down with the magic stickers :)
  • ladylocolisa
    ladylocolisa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mainly Tescos when going to the shop and asda when getting delivered. Morrison's is good value and waitrose for a treat. Our local veggie shop is much cheaper and veg bigger and better.
  • PinkyLilac
    PinkyLilac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tesco as can walk there and asda every now and again..I find asda caters more for single people!
  • MattBoySlim
    MattBoySlim Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ocado for me, though some of my reasons may be a little sad lol.

I usually look to see whats on offer before planning my meals :smiley:
    Favorites are all stored, though imagine any online is the same.
    Then I like the way the shopping arrives, different colour bags depending on fridge/freezer/cupboard :blush:
    Plus it gives more time at weekends, I usually order around Tuesday for a Friday delivery.
    Finally, I usually end up spending less as no impluse buys get chucked in the trolley, last year I was spending maybe £140 a week going instore, now its around £90.

Oh just to add I get nappies and wipes from Sainsbury once a month as I prefer them to huggies/Ocado.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I was a bit of a supermarket snob until recently, i'm now an Aldi convert. All my meats are bought online from either Westin Gourmet or MuscleFood (sister companies)
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Aldi for me. I used to shop at Sainsburys and Morrisons but Aldi is far cheaper. Took me a while to trust the brands they sell but I can't tell the difference between the famous brands and Aldis brands.
  • hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Lidl for main shop (struggle to spend more than £20 for a v full basket) once every ten days or so. Top ups from little Sainsburys. Can't beat Lidl for cheap veggies, and some good, less mainstream cheap protein - crayfish, anyone?! :smile:
  • bluefish86
    Options
    hmparkin23 wrote: »
    Can't beat Lidl for cheap veggies, and some good, less mainstream cheap protein - crayfish, anyone?! :smile:

Did not know that they carried crayfish at Lidl... Good tip!