Curing my sweet tooth

Options
Hey all.

So I love baking. And ice cream.

I've been pre-washing fruit, and sweeter veggies (peppers, snap peas) and putting them out on the counter to eat when I have a sweet craving. But every once in awhile, I want something that tastes decadent but isn't. Every once in awhile I'll have a square of chocolate, but man. Cherry pie and chocolate peanut butter ice cream calls my name.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Replies

• FitnessasmyWitness
    FitnessasmyWitness Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It takes time. At least for me it does. I used to chow on sweets and over time I just tried to eat less and less of them. Yesterday at our family's farewell there were loads of treats, cakes, chocolate bar snacks and more. To my sheer surprise, I didn't want to eat much of them. I settled for a waffle with a bit of syrup but even that seemed really sweet.
    Your taste buds will change. To get them there, you could try Carob powder or carmel rice cakes- both things with less calories but similar flavors.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I had to go cold turkey for a bit to get rid of the habit of hitting the chocolate at the end of the day, and gradually I've eased back into it so I can now treat myself when it fits into my goal for the day. But for me, going without it for a month was the key, I'd never really succeeded before.

Otherwise, I try to have a few other sweet treats in which are better for me, fruits (a different one each week to keep in interesting, I had a pineapple this week), sultanas, caramel rice cakes, air popped popcorn, cottage cheese with pineapple, sorbet. Still not ideal but I know I can't go without sugar forever!
  • FitnessasmyWitness
    FitnessasmyWitness Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with pineapple sounds fantastic right now. I used to hate it as a kid but now it's the best thing ever.
    Also, of course you can't go without sugar forever :P Your body needs at least some to function- it's always just best to get them in natural sources and not processesed. For example honey is a good option.
  • lauragrafhamknapp
    lauragrafhamknapp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Agreed on all accounts. I think, rather than keep ALL of it away, I'm going to do what you all suggest....the fruit helps, and I had never thought about the caramel rice cakes. Gonna give that a shot.

Thanks, all!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I love sweets that either have no calories, like Splenda® in my teas, or (my vice as of late) sweets with benefits. For example, I have been encouraged to increase my protein consumption via shake. To do this, I use a good chocolate protein powder, dissolve a scoop or 2 (or 3 if I'm trying to heal) in a cup of whole milk for healthy fat, and shake in a good low-carb chocolate ice cream. It is Heaven in a glass, I swear!