SDCC and staying on track

Options
ninasteele
ninasteele Posts: 5 Member
Hey everyone! My husband and I were fortunate to get tickets to San Diego Comic Con for all 4 days this year. Anyone else here going? Any pointers on how to stay on track with calories while there? I know the temptations to eat bad food on the go will be high there!

Replies

• jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    First of all, WOW! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! My wife and I have always wanted to go, I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

Whenever we do multi day conventions/comic cons, we just take as much pre-packed food with us as we can to try and stay on track. If they won't allow you to take this in, can you leave this in a hotel, eat before and after and make a trip back there for lunch? Can you take water in with you to make sure you are hydrated and reducing cravings?

If you can't take your own food, is there any way to check out the menus of the places to eat beforehand, so you can plan healthy choices? If you can't do any of those, then I guess it's just about trying to make healthy choices at food stands at the time :)

I would also suggest that, if you do have a cheat day, you make it the last day of the convention as you will have earned a treat and it will make a great day even more enjoyable!

HAVE FUN!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Haha going back to the hotel for lunch? Not happening.

I went to the NY one, and I just packed snacks and a sandwich. I was too busy standing in line for autographs and panels to stand in line to get food anyway. I just don't know if SDCC lets you bring food, but I'm sure you can find out on their website.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Haha going back to the hotel for lunch? Not happening.

I went to the NY one, and I just packed snacks and a sandwich. I was too busy standing in line for autographs and panels to stand in line to get food anyway. I just don't know if SDCC lets you bring food, but I'm sure you can find out on their website.

I have gone to SDCC for a few years and though they say you are not allowed to bring food, they have never enforced it. I myself and others have packed our own lunches and never had a problem. I personally would not eat the convention food. It's a mix of good and bad stuff. Burgers, pizza, sandwiches, salads. It's very high priced, I recall a small personal sized pizza was 10$ and that was years ago back in 2009 when I bought food and it sucks. Think high school cafeteria but worse.

SDCC is right next to the Gaslamp Quarter so you will have tons of options within walking distance. If you decide to eat out, expect long wait times almost everywhere near the convention center. I liked going to Fred's, a Mexican food joint. At the time I went there one of my favorite dishes to get was their seafood taco combo. Lobster, shrimp and fish taco. It's been a few years though. I don't know if they offer the lobster taco anymore.

My advice for keeping the weight gain to a minimum? Walking helps. Avoid drinking your calories. I would bring water and drink only that and that included when I did eat out.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    I have gone to SDCC for a few years and though they say you are not allowed to bring food, they have never enforced it. I myself and others have packed our own lunches and never had a problem.

I haven't been to SDCC, but I have experienced the same thing with the cons I do go to. Just bring your own stuff but don't flaunt it.
  • SithDogg671
    SithDogg671 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I spend 4 days at NYCC every year (adjust following adive for SD!) and *always* bring my own food and water; (more than anything else because there's no way in the formless abyss that I'm paying convention center food prices. $10 burger? NUH-UH). I tend to bring anything that'll pack flat (sandwiches, protein bars, etc.) and filter water bottles I can refill. It's not the best 4 days diet-wise but the crazy amount of walking, standing and carrying I end up doing pretty much overrides. Have fun!!