Gestational Diabetes

Options
loglia
loglia Posts: 15 Member
Hi,

So, my midwife called today to tell me that I have gestational diabetes. I'm pretty bummed out about it, especially since I've been really good about watching how much weight I've gained during this pregnancy. :( (last time I wasn't so great and gained way more than was needed, but didn't have gestational diabetes)

I go to see a dietician next week, but does anyone have experience with this or suggestions for what to eat in the meantime? Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research into this today, because I just found out I failed my 1 hour screening by one point and now need to do the three hour glucose tolerance test. There are a lot of resources online about gestational diabetes. Getting cardio exercise daily is apparently one of the best things you can do.
  • smileydd23
    smileydd23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just realized there were groups on MFP. When I was 3 months pregnant (I'm 5.2 months now) my midwife told me I was above normal for gestational diabetes. Normal is 5.5, I'm 5.6. They told me to limit my fruits to 2 a day and eat lots of vegetables and protein and limit carbs because carbs=sugar. Basically protein and vegetables at every meal/snack. Like the above post, exercise every day, too. It's been hard (not really a vegetable eater) and I have been stressing about my glucose test next month.

My midwife told me it wasn't what I'm doing/not doing, it's the baby taking all my nutrients and my body working into overdrive. :blush:

I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I failed my 1 hour glucose test and have to go back for the 3 hour test on Monday. I've been researching it a lot as well. From what I understand, there isn't anything you can do to stop/prevent it. Either you have it, or you don't. It has to do with the placenta and pregnancy hormones causing insulin resistance in the mother (which is why it goes away shortly after delivery).

I've read that in most cases, it can be well controlled with carb counting and exercise. Good luck!!
  • loglia
    loglia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I've been exercising every day and started counting carbs and limiting my fruit intake. My diabetic counselor said that my placenta is just overproducing hormones causing the insulin resistance. I'm still not used to pricking my finger to measure my glucose, but I feel that controlling it with diet and exercise is the best for me and baby, so for the next 2 1/2 months, that's what I'll be doing. Thanks for the support!